People with unfortunate names

General Chit Chat
zarniwoop
Snr FO
Snr FO

People with unfortunate names

#1 Post by zarniwoop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 am

I'm sure we've all heard them before - Micheal Hunt, Richard Head and so on - probably made up or apochriphal, the apartment owner named in the eighth paragraph of this Trumpet related article must have one of the most unfortunate surnames going -

I feel sorry for him

Slasher

Re: People with unfortunate names

#2 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 am

No one has ever read my full proper name here. I sound like a bloody nursery rhyme, but not as bad as Rachel Meghan Markle who sounds like an agent of Dick Tracy! :))

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 am

I knew a guy called Vince Uren. He was very pissed off by his name.

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 am

zarniwoop wrote:I'm sure we've all heard them before - Micheal Hunt, Richard Head and so on - probably made up or apochriphal, the apartment owner named in the eighth paragraph of this Trumpet related article must have one of the most unfortunate surnames going -

I feel sorry for him

It would have been better for the good doctor if his surname had been Monstacock or something like that!

Taking the proverbial out of names is so adolescent but such fun. I knew a David Fitzpatrick but to me he was always David Titsfatprick.

When will I grow up?

Caco

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 am

There was a chap.on TV in the US called Mike Litoris.
I worked in India with a group of people. One was called Hemkunt, and another was *****.
And a Greek I knew called Chris Papachristou whom I called Crap and Piss Too, unfair as he was a nice bloke.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Hydromet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 am

Once worked with a guy called Dudley Sledge, known to one and all as Deadly Sludge. Unfortunately, the nickname suited the personality.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 am

A friend whose mom, a lecturer at the University of Natal, was submitted a rather bizarre essay by one of her Indian students. When she questioned the nature of his work, very politely calling him Mr Bugarath, he immediately responded "No, my name is Bugggerit, Buggerit Mrs Webb!"

Caco

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by unifoxos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

Richard Head and so on - probably made up or apochriphal

Not so in that case - years ago my salesman was sent on some sort of gung-ho motivational session, featuring a leading trainer from the states. This guy came bounding on the stage, full of beans, and proudly told the assembled delegates that he was "Dick Head". Apparently at that time this was not a recognised expression stateside, but it certainly was here in UK. Took him quite a while to restore order.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 am

This guy insists that he is called Richard not Dick.
Cynicism improves with age

Sisemen

#10 Post by Sisemen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am

When will I grow up?

Growing old is compulsory Caco - growing up is optional.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 am

Richard Head was a pilot on RAF 48Sqn Hercules in the 70's

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by dubbleyew eight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm

I am going to be crucified if she ever finds this post.....but.....
there is a lovely talented captain by the name of robin, unfortunately her real name.
she married a lovely german guy with the surname Bitoff.
now it was the custom in her family to hyphenate the names so as not to lose the fame of the family name.
however robin would have been known as robin bitoff-dicks so she called barlees on the tradition.
she is actually a rather lovely lady. sadly that is her real name so I have no defense in court other than insanity.

dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by dubbleyew eight » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 pm

my brother once interviewed a guy for a computing position.
erm...what is your surname?
Arthur
ok....what is your first name?
King
....so your name is actually ....King Arthur.
Yes.
thank you sir we'll call you if we need you.....

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by FD2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I knew someone years ago called Hunt. His first name was not Michael but it took me a while to work out why he was called Isaac by his chums. :-\

A wartime FAA pilot by the name of Richard Douglas-Boyd had the misfortune to be interviewed by Spike Milligan (bizarre eh?) and was promptly referred to several times as Doug Dickless-Boyd. Needless to say the joke quickly wore thin. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... -Boyd.html No points for spotting the error in describing the Barracuda as American - no one else was to blame for it!

As Caco says, mickey taking about names is school stuff but can be very funny at times. :))

My parents had a friend called Iris Heyes whose parents took a while to understand why she was called Irish by her friends. #-o

Slasher

#15 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm

zarniwoop
Snr FO
Snr FO

#16 Post by zarniwoop » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:56 pm

No one has ever read my full proper name here. I sound like a bloody nursery rhyme,

Are you Brian Eno by any chance - Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno

Slasher

#17 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Put it this way Mr Woop: if a butler announced my entrance at a big hoi polloi gathering using my full name, everyone would ask whether or not I was named as one of the joke pwisoners by the cwowd to be weleased by Thaether.

This why I ask the Purser to simply say "captain Rod" when making the welcome PA. Last time one let my full name* slip there was a bit of a raucous titter among the Western pax --> ;)) ;)) ;)) ;))

Also I'm the father of one child that I know of. Spruking my entire name might cause some 45-50yo Swedish/Swiss/Pommy/French hag down the back hitting the hostess call button yelling "Aha! I've found the father of my 20yo daughter!" No joke. I've heard this has happened to others in the past.

* Common among Asian and raghead cabin crew culture.

ribrash

#18 Post by ribrash » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Head of P.E at my comp school'small of stature'black belt in jap slapping'went by the name of Albert Hall.

Capetonian

#19 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 am

A friend of mine claims to have been driven by a taxidriver in Singapore called Wan Long Kok. I doubt if he verified.

I often make up silly names when I write back to my scammers, for example Yu Wan Ker, Uyar Akunt, Iyam Askamma, Yoma Sepoes (Caco will understand), Ayfuk Gotes.

I must find the audio files of the guys who had announcements made at LHR and LGW for people with names like Arnid Apiskvik and Malexa Krost to 'please come to the information counter'.

FOUND IT :

http://www.hendess.net/london.htm

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 am

Nothing at all exotic, but my surname is also a common Christian name, and that causes enough trouble.
Cynicism improves with age