Darwin Awards

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Darwin Awards

#901 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:23 am

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#902 Post by bob2s » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:02 am

As the old saying goes,----- play with fire and you will get burnt sooner or later.----

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#903 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:56 am

It was only a matter of time before this guy did himself in.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -city.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#904 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:49 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:56 am
It was only a matter of time before this guy did himself in.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -city.html
It is not even as if the idiot was attempting to climb the building. He caught the elevator up as far as he could, after he evaded security before climbing onto the roof, and was screwing around on the outside of the building before he ran out of talent on the 68th floor and was last seen by a maid desperately banging on a window to be let in before gravity did for him. What a total tool! All done for Internet bragging rights and money.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#905 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:02 am

Windows at that elevation don't open anyway.

Stayed at a hotel once where the fire escape route was an inertial reel rope out of the window.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#906 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:23 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:02 am

Stayed at a hotel once where the fire escape route was an inertial reel rope out of the window.
What really amazes me are the admiring comments by the fools commenting on the Daily Mail... We really do live in a debased, stupid, society!

This one made me laugh...
How shocking. Who could imagine this ever happening?
This guy's endeavour was about as far as you can ever get from the spirit of George Herbert Leigh Mallory!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#907 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:10 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:

I believe that there’s a similar system in place for the control tower at Perry Oaks.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#908 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:20 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:10 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:

I believe that there’s a similar system in place for the control tower at Perry Oaks.
Interesting.

Do they have to clear themselves to jump?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#909 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:55 am

Nah, they have to hold for ages.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#910 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:55 am
Nah, they have to hold for ages.
Would that be ‘Bovingdon’, ‘Lambourne’, ‘Ockham’ or ‘Biggin’

I would opt for Lamborne. As in lambourne out of the tower.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#911 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:52 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:

We had one of them in a dorm at school. Other dorms had church bell ropes- no, not attached to bells at the time.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#912 Post by barkingmad » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm

What do they teach kids these days at big skule about electricity?

Obviously either not enough or possibly these 2 weren't paying attention as there were more interesting things to watch on their mobile phones;

:---"Teenagers suffer life-changing injuries in electric shocks on railways.

Two teenagers have sustained life-changing injuries after suffering electric shocks on the railways at the weekend.

British Transport Police said a 14-year-old boy climbed on top of a stationary freight train on Saturday evening and touched the overhead line.

The incident happened shortly after 9pm between Carfin and Holytown in North Lanarkshire.

His injuries are believed to be life-changing and he remains in a serious condition in hospital.

The following day, a 17-year-old boy was found by a member of the public on a footpath close to the line at Murrayfield, Edinburgh, at around 10.40pm.

He is believed to have suffered an electric shock after going on to the tracks.

His injuries are also said to be life-changing and he is in a critical but stable condition in hospital.

British Transport Police have issued an urgent safety warning to help avoid any further tragic incidents on the railways.

Detective Chief Inspector Marc Francey said: “In just over 24 hours this weekend two young people have sustained horrific injuries after taking unnecessary risks on the railway.

“First and foremost, our thoughts are with their loved ones who are being supported by officers.

“It should be abundantly clear from these two tragic incidents that the railway is not a playground.

“Modern trains can almost silently reach speeds of 125mph, and the overheard lines are powered by extremely high currents of electricity 24 hours day, which can kill instantly or result in catastrophic, life-changing injuries.

“With the school holidays upon us I would urge parents and carers to sit down with their children as soon as possible.

“Help us to prevent further tragedies by ensuring you know where you’re children are and talk to them about the dangers of the railway.

“Please, have that conversation with those in your care and encourage them to stay off the tracks.”

BTP and Network Rail’s You vs Train campaign highlights the devastating consequences of trespassing on the railway and can be viewed at www.youvstrain.co.uk---:"

I hope they partake in an education campaign to frighten the crap out of their peers to try to prevent further incidents, but the info may prove to be too upsetting to the 'woke' generation... :-o

I wonder what the lines were talking about when they were overheard, talking about current affairs? I always thought it was the high-voltage which was hazardous... =))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#913 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:36 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm
What do they teach kids these days at big skule about electricity?

I wonder what the lines were talking about when they were overheard, talking about current affairs? I always thought it was the high-voltage which was hazardous... =))
P = VI.

Tis the Amps what do the physiological damage, but you knew that.

Used to form a circuit out of willing short trousered, caps wearing 9 year old nincompoops using a Van Der Graaf generator to shock the pants of everybody with a miniscule current and a huge voltage. Pain, like the cane is a good teacher!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#914 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:50 pm

Influencer who promoted virtues of fruit-only diet dies aged 39 'of malnutrition'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... diet-dies/

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#915 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:20 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm
It's the volts that jolts, but the mils that kills.

A domestic earth leakage trip, (or whatever they're calling them this week) trips at 30 milliamps.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#916 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:49 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:20 pm
It's the volts that jolts, but the mils that kills.
Just over 50 years ago I was taught that, never forgotten,

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#917 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:01 am

#914. Sorry, but the lady was bonkers. Look at her shoulders and arms. Living skeleton. Interestingly enough some news stories have interviews and perhaps more pertinently, pictures of her mother.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#918 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:57 pm

llondel wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:40 pm
Three members of a Colorado family died while attempting to live "off the grid" in the Rocky Mountains, family members and investigators say.

The emaciated remains of sisters Christine and Rebecca Vance and the latter's 14-year old son, were found in a remote campsite this month.

On Tuesday a coroner ruled that they probably died from starvation or exposure during the cold winter.

It appears that the group began camping last summer and died over the winter.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66321392
Family who went 'off the grid' in Colorado wilderness died of malnutrition, autopsy finds
The "partially mummified" bodies of Christine Vance, 41, her sister Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's 14-year-old son were discovered in July in a rural campsite.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa ... rcna103009

Two sisters and a teenage son who told family last year they would live "off the grid" died of hypothermia and malnutrition as they endured the elements in the Colorado wilderness, according to newly released autopsy reports.

Christine Vance, 41, Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's 14-year-old son were identified in July after three "partially mummified" bodies were discovered in a remote campsite in the Gunnison National Forest.

The 14-year-old, who was not named publicly because of his age, weighed just 40 pounds, the Gunnison County Coroner's office autopsy said, which was first reported by The Colorado Sun. The average weight of a boy his age is 112 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Loved ones of the family said they were surprised the sisters would choose to forgo modern conveniences, but said Rebecca Vance had grown increasingly fearful of society after the Covid pandemic.

"It's hard to wrap your head around why they chose to go," stepsister Trevala Jara said in July. "It's hard for me."

Jara said none of them were known to be skilled in the outdoors.

Gunnison County coroner Michael Barnes previously speculated that the cause of death may have been related to exposure to cold weather and malnutrition.

Dental records and fingerprints were used to help identify the bodies.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#919 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:22 pm

Massachusetts teen dies after taking part in social media’s spicy ‘One Chip Challenge’

https://nypost.com/2023/09/04/teen-harr ... challenge/

A Massachusetts 14-year-old died Friday hours after he participated in the so-called “One Chip Challenge” — a viral social media trend that the teen’s family believes contributed to his sudden death, according to reports.

Harris Wolobah, a sophomore at Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester, consumed an exceedingly spicy Paqui chip at school and quickly developed a stomachache, his mother, Lois, told NBC 10 Boston.

Harris was picked up by family and brought home and started to feel better, but was later found passed out when he had intended to leave for basketball tryouts, his mom reportedly said.

The young teen was rushed to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.

A cause of death has not been confirmed, with autopsy results pending.

Harris’ mother told NBC 10 Boston that she believes her son died from complications due to the spicy snack.

The chip’s maker warns on its website that eating the snack could have adverse medical effects.

Part of the challenge tests how long a person who ate the chip can last before eating or drinking anything else for relief.

The chip challenge sees how long a person can last without eating or drinking something else for relief.

The Paqui brand says on its site that the chip should only be eaten by adults.

It also advises people to seek medical assistance if they experience trouble breathing, fainting or prolonged nausea.

“After touching the chip, wash your hands with soap and do not touch eyes or other sensitive areas,” the brand states.

This year’s chip contains Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper, according to the website.

The Worcester public schools chief said the school community “lost a rising star” in Wolobah.

“As a mother and educator, I cannot imagine how hard this is on his family, friends, and teachers,” Worcester Schools Superintendent Rachel Monarrez said, Boston 25 reported.

He was remembered as a great basketball player and rising star in school.
Harris was remembered as a great basketball player and a rising star in school.
Facebook
“My heart goes out to all who knew and loved him.”

His basketball coach for the St. Bernard’s church team, Douglas Hill, called him a hard worker dedicated to his craft, according to WCVB.

“I feel for the family,” Hill said. “I feel for him, and this is just one of those situations where it’s not his fault.”

Tufts Medical Center chief of pediatric emergency medicine Dr. Lauren Rice told the outlet that when someone eats spicy food, the results can range from mouth or lip burning to heart issues.

“Sometimes, we see people with a lot of chest pain, or they’ll experience palpitations, as well,” Rice said.

https://paqui.com/onechipchallenge/

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#920 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:37 pm

I’d missed this entry, but definitely in with a shout for this years award B-)
When all else fails, read the instructions.