Darwin Awards

General Chit Chat
1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Darwin Awards

#461 Post by 1DC » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:58 am

He started in Calais,probably cursing cos they pulled him out just before he finished..

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#462 Post by barkingmad » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm

What was his real country of origin?

Did he get a plague test, followed by a coach to a 4* hotel and some pocket money as per normal Channel fishing?

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#463 Post by ricardian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#464 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Why the warning?
If people are so stupid (or adventurous) why should we stand in their way?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:09 pm

There might be another Darwin candidate standing under the cliff? We wouldn't want to ......... would we?

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#466 Post by ricardian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Perhaps removing all the warning signs would speed up the process of evolution?
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:48 pm

These people are simply idiots, not least because they have conceived, and therefore are not eligible for Darwin Awards, which was the basis of this disaster...
A California forest fire that has destroyed thousands of acres of land resulting in hundreds of residents being evacuated from their homes was started by a firework used at a gender-reveal party, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) has said.

In a statement released late on Sunday evening, Cal Fire said the blaze tearing through El Dorado and the surrounding areas was caused by a smoke generating "pyrotechnic device", used during “a gender reveal party”.

Gender-reveal parties are events where parents who are soon to have a baby announce whether they are expecting a boy or a girl. The parties have become increasingly popular in the US in recent years.

The fire began on Saturday morning at El Dorado Ranch Park in Yucaipa, about 72 miles (115km) east of Los Angeles, Cal Fire said. It has since spread north to Yucaipa Ridge, prompting local officials to issue evacuation orders in the surrounding areas of Oak Glen, Mountain Home Village, and Forest Falls.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 04913.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#468 Post by Karearea » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:44 pm

^ 12:32 video showing some of the consequences.
God speed the fire-fighters.

"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 pm

7,000 acres I hear.

So we had Christening, but we need more excuses for a party. Let's have a birthday party. We coukd have a baby shower as well.

Then someone thought of a gender reveal party.

Only a matter of time we have a pregnancy confirm party.

Heaven forbid we have a f*ching party too.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Reminds me of the story of a chap who "went to a wedding church service and afterwards, the conception."
"Don't you mean the reception?"
"I guess I must have gone to the wrong room . . . "

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#471 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm

G-CPTN:
:YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd :YMPARTY:

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by Hydromet » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:51 pm

How about a pregnancy establishment party?

Come to think of it, I've been to parties that probably fit that description.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#473 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:33 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 pm
7,000 acres I hear.

So we had Christening, but we need more excuses for a party. Let's have a birthday party. We coukd have a baby shower as well.

Then someone thought of a gender reveal party.

Heaven forbid we have a f*ching party too.
And with all the discussion about gender issues and the right of a person to re-assign his/her/they sex I am concerned how many re-assign parties we are going to see in the future.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Just wait for the lawsuits associated with loss and damage from that particular fire. It was a boy, in case anyone's interested, although as above, that could change in the future.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Darwin Award candidate - Me ?

Decided to clean the M/bike spark plugs. This entails removing the fuel tank to get at them. Usually take it right off, but yesterday it was recently refuelled and very heavy, syphon tube chose not to play ball, and disconnecting the feed to the carbs. underneath the tank, so just unbolted it and slid it back sufficiently to get box spanner onto plug heads. Removing the second plug caused a spark, followed by smoke ! Still in the garage so ran away and looked for fire extinguisher not seen for many years. Returned to find all quiet again, no evidence of problem, no bare wires etc. so finished the cleaning, replaced the tank. Engine wouldn't start.

Battery voltage zero. Jump start from car got bike engine running. My man wot does suggested that these new no-spill sealed batteries have some sort of fuse installed, and shorting them ruins it, no repair available, he also advised that had it been one of the old lead acid type, it might have exploded ! Suggested that I had moved the tank back on to the positive battery terminal, then the end of my spanner crank had touched it and earthed it to the chassis ?

Bought new battery, all OK.

If the petrol in the tank had ...... well you know ! Lesson learned, getting too old for this malarky.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:24 am

ExSp, on the basis that your dead battery can't get any deader would it be worth while breaking in to it?

Allowed my garage to save £1000 breaking in to a broken hydraulic pump. Washer changed, job done. Also several sealed electronic components changing the 'no customer accessible components' fuse.

Remember the battery toothbrush thread a while back?

Thinks, I have a Sanitas blood pressure monitor, powers up but then powers down. As it is defunct I can't make it worse.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am

I have a Sanitas blood pressure monitor, powers up but then powers down.
You sure it is the monitor? :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:17 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Darwin Award candidate - Me ?

Decided to clean the M/bike spark plugs. This entails removing the fuel tank to get at them. Usually take it right off, but yesterday it was recently refuelled and very heavy, syphon tube chose not to play ball, and disconnecting the feed to the carbs. underneath the tank, so just unbolted it and slid it back sufficiently to get box spanner onto plug heads. Removing the second plug caused a spark, followed by smoke ! Still in the garage so ran away and looked for fire extinguisher not seen for many years. Returned to find all quiet again, no evidence of problem, no bare wires etc. so finished the cleaning, replaced the tank. Engine wouldn't start.
Battery voltage zero. Jump start from car got bike engine running. My man wot does suggested that these new no-spill sealed batteries have some sort of fuse installed, and shorting them ruins it, no repair available, he also advised that had it been one of the old lead acid type, it might have exploded ! Suggested that I had moved the tank back on to the positive battery terminal, then the end of my spanner crank had touched it and earthed it to the chassis ?
Bought new battery, all OK.
If the petrol in the tank had ...... well you know ! Lesson learned, getting too old for this malarky.
A couple of decades ago I was living in a property with 2½ acres of land, most of which was laid to grass (tenniscourt, lawn, orchard and rough grass paddocks).
I had a ride-on garden tractor to manage grass-cutting and it regularly required a booster battery before it would start.
One day I had the tractor with a partially-charged additional battery - and a battery-charger.

As I attached the croc-clips of the charger to the partially-charged battery, there was an explosion.
Pieces of the battery were subsequently found 50 feet away.
I immediately went indoors and took a shower, thankful that I had avoided acid in my eyes.

My grandfather was a mechanical entrepreneur and charged batteries in the days when people used 'accumulator' batteries at home to power their 'mains' radios (before houses had fully-wired electricity) with carboys of acid in his workshop and he (and my father) had lectured me about the dangers of hydrogen explosions from 'gassing' batteries - so I knew what was likely to happen - but it never had over my decades of battery abuse.

Familiarity breeds . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

At the age of 7 I used to take our neighbour's accumulators across the road to the bike shop be recharged. He used to sell acetiline too for bike lamps

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#480 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:09 pm

The 'Radio Relay' shop was where we swapped our batteries.

Aviation content:

On Lincoln's the Intercom batteries were changed weekly!
Cynicism improves with age