Re: Darwin Awards

#921 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 am

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#922 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:09 am

From the BBC:
A grenade given as a birthday present has blown up and killed a close aide of the head of Ukraine's armed forces Valery Zaluzhny.

Maj Hennadiy Chastyakov, 39, had returned to his flat with presents from his colleagues and was opening them with his son when the grenade exploded.

Maj Chastyakov was killed and his 13-year-old son left seriously wounded.

Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said the boy had started turning the ring on the grenade.

"Then, the serviceman took the grenade from the child and pulled the ring, causing a tragic explosion."

Got to be a winner1

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#923 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:22 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 am
Hippos will eat meat.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#924 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:00 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#925 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:52 pm

French show a lack of spacial awareness, walking, driving, boating why not in flying ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#926 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:04 pm

AF 447?

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#927 Post by talmacapt » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:08 pm

Does this qualify?

Tale in the Finnish newspapers about dead woman and missing child.

It were a bit cold yesterday, -23 and 20m/s (40knots) and, despite being told not to by local ski guide, woman took son skiing and got lost in blowing snow.

She has been found dead and they are still looking for the boy today.

She was a sport's teacher.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#928 Post by bob2s » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 pm

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 9.30.30 pm chainsaw.jpg

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#929 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:22 pm

bob2s wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 pm
Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 9.30.30 pm chainsaw.jpg
You are absolutely right.
One shouldn't smoke when using gas powered equipment. =))

PP

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#930 Post by Wodrick » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 pm

I have real difficulty that anyone is that stupid.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#931 Post by llondel » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:45 am

Wodrick wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 pm
You've not seen the video of the woman filling plastic shopping bags with petrol and putting them in the boot of her car then?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#932 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:19 am

Not unusual to see French filling plastic bottles with petrol which are then stored in the boot of their cars, at the low cost filling station in Empuriabrava. One trusts the caps don't allow fumes into the cars interiors, given the percentage of French who smoke. Illegal for cheating the French state of tax income, but there are of course no longer border checks at La Jonquera so they never get caught.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#933 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:42 am

I collected a brand new estate car and filled it with petrol in preparation for a long business trip. During the subsequent journey I detected a strong smell of petrol.
When I reached my destination (which happened to be a dealership for the make of the vehicle) it was discovered that there were a couple of inches of petrol 'swimming' in the rear of the vehicle!
The fuel tank was leaking from the seam that joined the halves of the tank.

As the model was brand new there was no spare tank available at the dealership, so the return journey had to be made with limited fuel (below the level of the leak).

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#934 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:30 am

Whilst I'd really like to agree with you, Wodrick, sadly it would not surprise me if indeed someone was that stupid!

Anytime I think I have seen the bottom of the depths of Human stupidity, someone comes along and lowers the bar further! :(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#935 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:16 am

Man killed by lion after entering enclosure at zoo: 'The animal attacked'

A zoo guest who decided to climb a wall to enter a lion enclosure to apparently take a selfie was mauled to death by the animal Thursday, according to reports.

The man, identified as Prahalad Gurjar, 34, "climbed the wall and chain-link fencing" of the Sri Venkateswara zoological park in Tirupati, India, and jumped into the enclosure despite warnings from a zoo employee.

"After seeing the human being inside the enclosure, the animal attacked," the zoo said.

"Though the animal keeper and other security staff nearby tried to save the person, the animal dragged the person inside the enclosure," the zoo said.

Gurjar was dead within 10 minutes, The Times of India reported, adding that the 12-year-old lion was put in his nighthouse while authorities recovered the body.

Gurjar appeared to be intoxicated before jumping into the enclosure, the Times reported.

The enclosure has a 4-foot wall and a 6-foot iron fence around it.

The zoo said this is the first time an incident like this has happened, and it will review its security to make sure it doesn’t happen again, according reports.

Gurjar was from the Alwar District in northern India.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the zoo for comment.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#936 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:22 pm

My friend, while crossing a river in Indonesia, remarked that the crew, while smoking, were refuelling the boat from hand held drums, and that the wooden deck of the boat around the filler nozzle was so saturated with spilled diesel that the wood was soggy......

When ever I'm tempted to feel pangs of sorrow for people killed in fires or drownings in the Far East, I remember my friend's tale, and it cheers me up.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#937 Post by Boac » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:08 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#938 Post by Woody » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:24 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

He Messed With The Wrong Lady

#939 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 am

Idaho woman, 85, fatally shot home intruder in 'heroic' act of self-defense
A county prosecutor said the woman acted in self-defense and ruled it was a case of justifiable homicide in a case review.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/id ... rcna147312

An 85-year-old Idaho woman shot and killed an intruder in her home in what a county prosecutor called "one of the most heroic acts of self-preservation I have ever heard of."

Bingham County Prosecutor Ryan Jolley, in a case review, said that the woman, identified Wednesday as Christine Jenneiahn, acted in self-defense and ruled it was a case of justifiable homicide.

"That Christine survived this encounter is truly incredible," Jolley wrote in the review. "Her grit, determination, and will to live appear to be what saved her that night."

According to the review, posted on Facebook by the Bingham County Sheriff's Office, an intruder, identified as Derek Condon, broke into Jenneiahn's home on March 13 at around 2 a.m.

Jenneiahn told prosecutors she was asleep in her Bingham County home at the time of the break-in when she was awoken by an intruder who was wearing a military jacket and black ski mask and was pointing a gun and flashlight at her.

She said her disabled son was also home at the time.

The review says that Condon likely hit Jenneiahn in her head while she was in bed, since Jenneiahn said she'd been hit and because investigators found blood on her pillow and on the floor of her bedroom.

Condon then handcuffed Jenneiahn and took her to the living room at gunpoint, according to the review. Once there, he handcuffed her to a wooden chair and asked about her valuables. When she said she didn't have much, he put his gun to her head, the review said.

According to the review, Jenneiahn told Condon she had two safes downstairs. He left her handcuffed in the living room as he looked through several rooms of her home in search of her valuables, prosecutors said.

"At some point," the review states, "he discovered that Christine's son was also in the home and became angry at Christine for not telling him."

Condon then started to make numerous threats that he wanted to kill Jenneiahn, according to the review.

While Condon was searching the downstairs of Jenneiahn's home, she dragged the wooden chair to which she was handcuffed into her bedroom and grabbed her .357 Magnum revolver from under her pillow, the review said. Once back in the living room, Jenneiahn hid the gun between the armrest and cushion as she "waited to see what Condon did next."

"Christine's memory of exactly what occurred next remains somewhat unclear," according to the review.

Jenneiahn told prosecutors that at some point, when Condon returned to the living room after rummaging through her home, he again threatened to kill her.

"She ultimately made the decision that it was 'now or never' and drew her concealed 357 magnum and engaged Condon striking him with both her shots," the review said.

Condon returned fire, striking Jenneiahn multiple times in her abdomen, leg, arm and chest with a 9mm pistol, according to the review. Condon went to the kitchen, where he died from the gunshot wounds.

Jenneiahn, still handcuffed, fell over and remained on the floor for approximately 10 hours until her son came upstairs in the late morning and gave her a phone to call 911. Deputies responded at approximately 12:17 p.m., the review said.

EastIdahoNews.com reported that Jenneiahn was taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls following the attack. She has since been released and is recovering, according to the outlet.

Subsequent investigation of Jenneiahn's home turned up a broken window in the back of the residence and a screwdriver near where Condon broke into the house, according to the review. On his body, Condon had a lock pick set, his car key, a handcuff key and a bag filled with items stolen from the home.

Condon's car was also found near the home, according to the review, and a set of footprints leading from the vehicle in the direction of the home were discovered.

Based on Idaho's self-defense law, which states, "No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting himself," Jolley ruled the killing justifiable.

"This case presents an easy analysis of self-defense and justifiable homicide," Jolley wrote in the review. "It also presents one of the most heroic acts of self-preservation I have ever heard of."

Jolley added: "Absent a clear attempt by Condon to retreat from the residence or surrender, which based on the evidence clearly did not occur, Christine was justified in taking any and all means necessary to defend herself and her son that night."

PP