Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Darwin Awards

#641 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:44 pm

llondel wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:17 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:03 am
What's the price difference between a brick and a bullet? In UK a brick costs £1. At least bricks can be reused.
Depends on how hard they hit him with it.
Only if they bounce off the bonce

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#642 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:21 am

Tucson PD: Alleged shoplifter running from business struck, killed by driver

TUCSON, Ariz. - A man who was reportedly running from a business he had shoplifted from was struck and killed by a driver in Tucson on Saturday, says the police department.

Just after 9 p.m. in the area of Wilmont Road and Broadway Boulevard, officers responded to a 911 call about a man who was hit by a car, says Tucson Police Officer Roman Acosta.

The man, Nicholas James Hernandez, 32, was rushed to the hospital but died soon after.

Acosta says the incident happened when Hernandez shoplifted from a business in the area, ran into the street and then was hit by a car.

The driver stayed until police arrived and cooperated with the investigation. The driver wasn't under the influence, Acosta said.

"The investigation remains ongoing, and no citations or charges have been issued at this time. Detectives believe that midblock crossing by Mr. Hernandez appears to be the major contributing factor of the collision," Acosta said.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#643 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 am

Did the business owner reclaim his property first?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#644 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:02 pm

Two North Carolina men were killed by a train while mourning their brother killed in the same spot

It is more efficient to eliminate all of the possible gene carriers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/us/north ... index.html

(CNN)Two men were mourning the loss of their brother, who had been struck by a light-rail train, when they were also struck and killed by a train in North Carolina.

Pablo Tiquiram Us, 29, and Jose Chilambalam Tiquiram Us, 20, were walking north on the train tracks in Charlotte near 8200 South Boulevard at 5:10 a.m. on Tuesday when they were hit and killed by a Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) Lynx train, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police (CMPD) said in a press release.
Medics announced both men dead at the scene.
"They had been memorializing their brother on the one-week anniversary of his death, and they were conducting a memorial out by the site where he was killed," CMPD Sgt. Adam Jones said during a press conference Wednesday. "Unfortunately, the two brothers were also struck by a train while they were on foot and they both succumbed to their injuries pretty quickly."
Their brother, Baltazar Tiquiram Us, 27, had been driving across East Hebron Street "when he was struck by the train and killed" on July 26, according to Jones.
Video evidence confirmed the two brothers were standing on the tracks when they were struck, he added, but it is unclear how long they were on the tracks before the train arrived. They were lighting candles and "paying tribute to him as best they could on the tracks," Jones said.
All safety features, including the crossing arms, lights and horns, were working correctly, he said.
"I cannot imagine losing three of your children — three of your siblings — within a week, to such tragic circumstances," Jones said.
Officials suspect that alcohol was a "contributing factor," according to the release.
Tuesday's incident was one of four fatal traffic accidents with six victims this week in Charlotte. In all four, ; "there has been a level of impairment involved," Jones added. "So, I'd like to stress to our citizens, please if you have been drinking, use a rideshare, have a designated driver, or stay where you are."

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#645 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:13 pm

They proved the theory.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#646 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:31 pm

I really believe that the trains have it in for this family.
All of their surviving relatives should stay well clear of train tracks.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#647 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:54 am

When did it become common for memorializing death at the site rather than at the grave?

I suppose with early battles graves were at the site of the battle. Now though you see shrines and dead flowers at many road signs. I suppose one desire is to see where it happened and begin to understand.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#648 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:37 am

Five teenage boys were killed in a car crash in New Zealand’s worst road accident for two years.

The tragedy occurred in Washdyke, just north of Timaru halfway between Christchurch and Dunedin, when an overcrowded Nissan Bluebird car struck a power pole, killing every passenger on board.

The driver survived and was taken to Timaru hospital in a serious condition..

TVNZ reported on Sunday that the casualties were aged 15 or 16, and that the car involved was “in pieces” after breaking the pole in two.

“To have five lives lost in an instant is a terrible tragedy,” said NZ police superintendent Steve Greally, adding that not everyone in the car was wearing a seatbelt.

Not everyone? Is this code for nobody? No age given for the driver. No time of day, either. Very sad.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#649 Post by prospector » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:46 am

Apparently the driver was the oldest at 19. He survived, in hospital in moderate condition. Wonder what condition in a day or two when memory clicks in. And not surprisingly,

""and speed and alcohol were factors in the tragedy, police say.""

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#650 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:28 pm

.........and that the car involved was “in pieces” after breaking the pole in two.
?? Don't think the pole was broken, not sure, picture today shows tributes being left at the pole, but the car was certainly broken into two pieces, pictures of the two pieces being shown.

A local resident had telephoned the Police to report illegal road-racing and burn-outs being performed by a group of idiots, and said, sic " You'd better come before someone gets killed "

How prophetic.

Being a five place car, one of the deceased was in the boot. ( 6 occupants in total )

At least the driver survived to face the music, but being New Zealand he'll probably get name suppression, at least until appearing in Court ( tho' of course all the suffering families know who he is ) and a few days home detention as a penalty. Might lose his licence for awhile, if he even has one ? Apparently he has apologised, on social media. Big deal.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#651 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:13 am

EA01 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 pm
The original bungee jumpers...

something else I will never do in life.....
Funnily enough, today my ex wife sent me these shots of my first bungee jump taken as I jumped from a crane in the car park of the Admiral Nelson pub in Uxbridge! =))

Bungee.JPG

I thought you might go for celebratory jump today given that it is your birthday EA01. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#652 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 am

Were you 'venting' in excitement in pic 2, TGG?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#653 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 am
Were you 'venting' in excitement in pic 2, TGG?
=))

No, I had a small pack of coloured dye attached to my leg, all the more to look the real Green Goblin... although I must admit to being a tad apprehensive! ;)))

Glider.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#654 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am

Did you grab a pint before the rebound?

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#655 Post by EA01 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:11 am

I thought you might go for celebratory jump today given that it is your birthday EA01. =
))

Certainly not!,...I awake at night with bad dreams of being a heights!

Flying, no problemo, feels natural. Funnily enough a CX Captain friend of mine is the same, will not stand closer than a meter & a half away from a balcony railing on a highrise for fear of heights...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#656 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm

As I have 'matured', so I have acquired a reaction to being close to (even contemplated) a drop.

At one stage I was comfortable with proximity to a height (or depth), however nowadays the mere thought induces fear and wobbliness in my legs.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#657 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:33 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm
As I have 'matured', so I have acquired a reaction to being close to (even contemplated) a drop.

At one stage I was comfortable with proximity to a height (or depth), however nowadays the mere thought induces fear and wobbliness in my legs.
How odd. Same here. Never used to have a problem. Flying OK but hotel balconies etc :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#658 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:02 pm

G CPTN depths don't worry me, but we were snorkeling off a reef in Turks and Caicos. We were on about 12 feet of water and Mrs PN was secured to me with para cord. Not entirely comfortable but reassured with the rope. We ventured to the edge where the light azure sea bed became a deep purple to black.

Why is 12 feet sort of OK but 6,000 feet........

You can drown in 4 inches.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#659 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Honorable Mention in Accessory Category
At least the cat wasn't harmed. #:-S

Wisconsin woman using gun's laser sight to play with cat shoots friend :-o #-o :))

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/wis ... ots-friend

By: Associated PressPosted at 9:22 AM, Aug 13, 2021 and last updated 9:35 AM, Aug 13, 2021
KENOSHA, Wis. — Authorities say a Wisconsin woman accidentally shot a friend while using the laser sight on a handgun to play with a cat.

A criminal complaint charging the 19-year-old woman with negligent use of a weapon says she was visiting a Kenosha apartment Tuesday afternoon where a 21-year-old man had brought a handgun.

According to the complaint filed Thursday, the woman, who a witness said had been drinking, picked up the handgun, “turned on the laser sight and was pointing it at the floor to get the cat to chase it,” when the gun went off.

Authorities say the man was shot in the thigh and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#660 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:42 pm

I love that "... when the gun went off." Just like those Audis that slipped into gear...