Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#261 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm

I think things are a bit better now, it tends to be same-day, or at least next-day. What would happen with that three-day period is that someone else got free use of your money for the time it wasn't available to you. I have vague recollection that my building society specified a maximum amount I was allowed to have in the account, not that I got anywhere near it but at the time I think it was less than £75k.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#262 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 pm

If I move money between my accounts at SBSA, the all happen immediately, except transfers into my credit card account.

Transfers to my CC account can take 48 hrs.
No explanation why.

When transfer cash from Barclays Jersey to SBSA, if I do it early enough, it arrives the same day.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#263 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Ian it costs an organisation to be in the system that allows immediate transfers. My broker does not pay for that service. However they allow me to transfer in to them rather than have my bank transfer it. Essentially they give me credit. The credit is of course secured by the stocks they hold on my behalf.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#264 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 pm

The RBS has a special 'team' in Chatham - totally anonymous, just a 'team' - which keeps sending us standardised letters to 'update' our mobile phone numbers. Unfortunately when we are logged in to our accounts we cannot change/update the mobile numbers because we do not have UK mobiles any more and the system will not accept foreign mobile numbers. That is unless via a requested phone call, which I am old fashioned enough to ignore. Nothing new there but it became apparent that the reason they needed to do that was a second tier of security - they text a number to our mobile numbers which is used to enable logging in after the usual first checks.

So I wrote to the 'team' in Chatham with a full history of our 42 years with the RBS and our New Zealand mobile numbers. Next time I tried to log in - amazing - our personal details had been updated after a pause of three weeks in their system but someone in the 'team' had put +44 in front of my wife's mobile number instead of +64. However I managed to log in using her card and the card reader and this time the system allowed me to change the mobile number with the assistance of the card reader - thus both our mobile numbers are now correct. Maybe they have seen the light I thought and finally altered their system. Some progress then, but after leaving it for a few days I tried logging in to both accounts and although the mobile numbers are correct there were no text messages winging their way to us and we still have to use the card reader to log in.

Meanwhile bad people are no doubt sending millions around the globe each day in creative money laundering schemes. I feel another letter coming on, if for no other reason than I have the time and the inclination to annoy them!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#265 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 am

Has anyone else had to reenter passwords just to look?
Yes. P*ssed off with the lot of them, it's MY money for crissakes.

Reasonable security is not unreasonable, but they've all gone bonkers, and the really bad boys are laughing all the way to the bank - at our expense.

Capetonian

#266 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am

Meantime those plonkers are still unable to locate my money after 11 working days.
A blames B, B blames C, C blames B, and B blames A.
Whoever's fault it is, it certainly isn't mine. I'm the victim and these people are just wanking around.
I think next time I'm going to ask them to transfer it by carrier tortoise, it might be faster.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#267 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am
Meantime those plonkers are still unable to locate my money after 11 working days.
Whoever's fault it is, it certainly isn't mine. I'm the victim and these people are just wanking around.
I think next time I'm going to ask them to transfer it by carrier tortoise, it might be faster.
Don’t want to worry you Capetonian, but mine’s being going on since January X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#268 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

After 12 days the organisation in Luxembourg have located my money, it's been returned back to the original bank, I'm now trying to find out why and whose fault this is. They are blaming my bank who assure me that it never reached them.

Changing subject there's an interesting article in This is Money about text verification.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/exp ... chase.html

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#269 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am

Yesterday I received a new debit card from my Spanish bank. Quote: FOR YOUR SAFETY THIS CARD IS DEACTIVATED AND NEEDS ACTIVATING.

For obvious reasons I never use it but decided it was necessary to activate it. Oh dear ! Read the accompanying letter, 'download the app', have documents handy, blah blah blah.

Went into bank this morning to ask if they could activate it. Response: "You just go to the ATM outside and use the new card in the usual way to check your account or withdraw money, once you enter your PIN it's activated."

Amazingly secure !

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#270 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:48 am

Not the Royal Bank of ..... but a local NZ one. ANZ for those who may be interested.

Over the 25 years that I have lived in NZ I have given my Bank / VISA credit card number to - how many ? - various organisations for automatic annual payments, or easy top-up when necessary without having to contact the Org. in detail again. Makes Life easy, and being a trusting soul (until more recently) the system has worked well, but .... the f*****g bank, who initiate the new card every few years, then refuse to acknowledge request for payment if the relevant Org. uses the now expired card number. ( Same account number of course )

My Mobile phone provider has just text’d me to advise that my balance is low, did I want to top up, then advised that my request was denied by the bank because the card was expired. THEY expired it for crissakes. The Telco then had a “technical problem” and couldn’t accept my new instructions.

Taken all day to sort out. If this is the White Hot Heat of Technology ( Harold Wilson, circa. 1964 ) then let it cool down a bit. Bahhhh ! Humbug !!!!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#271 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 am

ExSp33b1rd, I am not sure I follow. I have given my credit card in a couple of telcom providers. The card number obviously remained the same but the expiration date changes. The amount is taken is added on the monthly statement no matter if the date on the valid card corresponds to the date on the card presented.

Capetonian

#272 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:07 am

I have generally found when the CC expiry date is reached, the billing entity will request new details, as the EXP is one of the security parameters.
I have an odd quirk in my memory that I can remember the 16 digit numbers of nearly all my cards, and the 3 digit CCV, but I can never remember the 4 digit EXP.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#273 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 am

The card number obviously remained the same but the expiration date changes.
No, that's the whole problem, the first eight digits remain the same but the last eight change every time, so effectively the card has a new number even tho' it is still allied to the same account name and number, as shown on every monthly statement. The retailer quotes the old 16 digit card number for payment, and the bank say "get stuffed" and refuse payment. I know nothing of this until I find that whatever service I use is suddenly cut off, or in arrears. The bank tell me it is my responsibility to advise all those to whom I have given my card number over the years that they must now use the new number.

A Direct Debit authority from a non-card account would solve this, but that is never as easy or as convenient as just giving a card number, although I am slowly reverting to this approach, with all the attendant form filling and / or musical appreciation, as I await a response as my call is so important to them.

One might think that over the years that this has been happening I might have got around to keeping a file of all who need to be advised, but Life ain't like that, and I keep getting caught out by ones that I have totally forgotten about.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#274 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:39 am

ExSp, there is one benefit though. It is much harder to remove credit card standing orders than bank ones.

I kept finding a regular £3.99 video payment. No clues what this was for. Turned out it was Amazon. When your CC changed then the charge lapses.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#275 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 am

Maybe. Another NZ Bank has just denied me the right to move my own money, 'cos I wasn't "registered" for Online Banking via a Mobile number for 2-stage text code messages. When I gave them my mobile no. and e-mail I was still denied because " that number is allocated to another customer " Of course it is, my wife ! Cannot. What law says that husband and wife can't have the same mobile number, or e-mail address ? We've shared the same e-mail since the Internet began, and the same, present, landline telephone number since we moved to this house. They'll be saying we can't live together soon ? Madness.

Capetonian

#276 Post by Capetonian » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 am

Seems that one of the banks I use can't cope with an international code for the 2-stage verification, they can only deal with domestic numbers which are 10 digits long, nothing longer, and no + or 00 before the country code. They are 'working on it'. I said I can't be your only customer who has an international number, and they said they can't discuss other customers with me!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#277 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:18 am

Yes, USA banks are treating us like that, too.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#278 Post by ian16th » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:31 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 am
Seems that one of the banks I use can't cope with an international code for the 2-stage verification, they can only deal with domestic numbers which are 10 digits long, nothing longer, and no + or 00 before the country code. They are 'working on it'. I said I can't be your only customer who has an international number, and they said they can't discuss other customers with me!
Back in 1981, in the UK, I had a project that involved modifying some American s/w to work in the UK.
It involved programming Auto Call Units, the things we had before Hayes Modems.
The American code only handled 10 digit phone numbers, and at the time UK numbers were variable length, so I needed to know what was the length of the longest possible number in the UK.
I called BT and asked, I couldn't get an answer! No one knew.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#279 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am
Capetonian wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am
Don’t want to worry you Capetonian, but mine’s being going on since January X(
Standard Bank have mysteriously found my money that has been missing since January, next step is getting the charges back from my management company :((

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#280 Post by Woody » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:51 am

Received an email this morning from the management company saying that they are going to credit my account with any late payment fees that they added, I’ve not even had the chance to send them an email requesting that yet :((