Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#301 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Just spend £20 in phone calls trying to set up a new online account for Mrs Ex-Ascot after the robbery and passwords compromised. Can't be done. Have to SMS us with a one time code. They hold her Greek number. Can't be changed without an SMS to that number. Can't get an SMS to here anyway. Will not email it. Will not tell it to us over the phone even though we have answered so many security questions they even know the exact dimensions of my willy. It was in millimeters not inches.

Well the consolation is if we can't get into her account neither can anyone else
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#302 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Closed credit card account at bank. credit balance transferred to current account.
Just received a bill for the transfer, labeled cash advance fee.
How f#$%@!cking stupid are these people??

Guy in front of me at Princess Auto today was buying a pitchfork. I know how he feels; very, very tempting.

Capetonian

#303 Post by Capetonian » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am

I suppose from the bank's perspective that is correct.

I once drew cash from one of my CC accounts, since it had a large credit balance which I was unlikely to be using. The bank charged me a cash advance fee even though it wasn't a cash advance since it was my money I was drawing out, not theirs. I went in to see the branch manager and gave them my bill for the cash advance of several thousand rands of my cash from which they had benefited for over a month, and said 'let's negotiate'.

I won.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#304 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Ping ! goes my phone. "A new credit card has been issued to you, if you weren't expecting it......" WTF ? Two more years to go on the old one. Yes I did contact them, and it was OK and sent to my UK address, where I won't be until mid-December. How to get it to Spain ? Anyone coming down this way ? Like a few days R&R with the OFSOs ? ?

Capetonian

#305 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 pm

5 years ago I experienced the most appalling incompetence at the hands of the bank that do those lovely ads with the black horses.

As a result, I demanded £1000 in compensation (to be paid to charity) and naturally they said that was impossible. I told them I would keep going until I got to the person who would authorise it.

The result is below.
lloyds.jpg
lloyds 02.jpg

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#306 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Well done, Cape. Teach the buggers!

Capetonian

#307 Post by Capetonian » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:54 pm

This is what really cranks me about credit cards :
Capture.JPG
Assuming I was stupid enough to only pay the 'minimum' of 1%, the amount I owe them would go up by £12.55, and would keep going up for every month in which I only paid the minimum.

What is even worse, is that if I paid £1505, just 16p. short, they would charge me interest on the outstanding £1505.61, not the 61p.

I though there was something called the Usury Act but I suppose banks are exempt. As someone said, give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man bank and he can rob the world.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#308 Post by llondel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:40 pm

They charge you interest on the full amount from the statement date to the day your partial payment is received, then interest on the remaining balance from then on. So if you're not paying off the whole amount, make sure you pay what you're going to as soon as possible.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#309 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:54 pm
This is what really cranks me about credit cards :

Capture.JPG

Assuming I was stupid enough to only pay the 'minimum' of 1%, the amount I owe them would go up by £12.55, and would keep going up for every month in which I only paid the minimum.

What is even worse, is that if I paid £1505, just 16p. short, they would charge me interest on the outstanding £1505.61, not the 61p.

I though there was something called the Usury Act but I suppose banks are exempt. As someone said, give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man bank and he can rob the world.
Two comments here: Over the last few years I have been favouring an education system putting more emphasis on basic yet untaught knowledge: for instance a homo-economics subject where students are taught how to better use the various financial products (for instance use a credit card to earn fidelity points and move a little backwards the payment without cost) or how to compare prices in a supermarket. The same about in the language course to learn how to complain as successfully as Capetonian does. Hence people would be protect from those crazy interests.

Second I would have thought the the OFBANK would have intervene and allow only interest on the remaining outstanding amount.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#310 Post by Boac » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Also, I think, Cape, you will find that the £27.61 is 'interest' only! As Martyn Lewis says - all together now -"IN FULL!". Mind you - it's what you signed up for.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#311 Post by ian16th » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:35 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:37 pm
Mind you - it's what you signed up for.
My 1st Barclaycard was sent to me, unsolicited, by then Branch Manager.

I didn't sign up for anything.
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#312 Post by Slasher » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 am

Time to go Crypto you blokes. Tell that Lagarde bitch and the banks to go screw each other instead of the plebs. Same with the Fed IRS.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#313 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Ditto, by a friend working for them.. some 65 years ago ? The barstewards have just kicked me out because I can't give them a UK address now.

Loyal customers ? Yeah ! Right !

Slasher

#314 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:35 am

Slasher wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 am
Time to go Crypto you blokes. Tell that Lagarde bitch and the banks to go screw each other instead of the plebs. Same with the Fed IRS.
Further, for the very few of you who want to get out of fiat banking, please take a look at these 2 vids in order:

From there you can do your own research. There are NO FEES.

I’ve been using Celsius for 6 months now and my main crypto is Paxos Stablecoin. We only have 2 fiat banks now mainly for cash purposes and one leverage investment (Singapore bank) which is doing quite well. I use Celsius for saving and not borrowing, and interest is payable weekly. The interest is what I use to pay bills and make online purchases, since the principal is what generates the interest (currently 7.4%). It was 9% when I started.

Slasher

#315 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 am

I should also point out that crypto banking is not for everyone. Personal circumstances or attitudes should be considered first.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#316 Post by llondel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Ditto, by a friend working for them.. some 65 years ago ? The barstewards have just kicked me out because I can't give them a UK address now.

Loyal customers ? Yeah ! Right !
They dumped me a while back for the same reason.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#317 Post by ian16th » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am

Ditto, by a friend working for them.. some 65 years ago ?
I think it was 1965, I'd just got demobbed and was working in London on less than Cpl/Techs money!

So my Branch Manager of the day took a bit of a flyer on me!

Capetonian

#318 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:56 pm

About time ..... (sorry it's the Guardian but it happened to come in on a news feed)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -fca-rules

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#319 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Cape wrote:sorry it's the Guardian
- no need to apologise - if you feel really bad about it find another link to the story?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#320 Post by ian16th » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:06 pm

These are the customers that the banks like! The ones who pay lots of interest.