Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#401 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am

Cape - totally agree. My main beef is that they asked for my mobile number, which I gave them as 6427xxxxxxx e.g. 64 ( country code ) 27 (area code minus the local 0 ) and xxx xxxx. It wasn't up to me to tell them how to make an International call.

One has to watch one's language I fear, a couple of USA banks have kicked my wife out because they don't want to deal with someone who hasn't got a local, i.e. USA, address and refuse to make Internationa calls to give this 2FA code nonsense, at least NatWorst are doing that, at the moment.

All goes back to Dubbya's FATCA ( FatCats ? ) legislation to try to stop money laundering ( FAT Ch+Ance ?? ) Even a local New Zealand bank has kicked her out because she is still a USA citizen, albeit dual Nat. with a NZ passport, and they have to report her every transaction, however small, to the USA IRS, and they can't be bothered.

Meanwhile, as you say, the Niggerian scammers and the like laugh all the way to the bank and just carry on. All these so called bank security schemes only inconvenience those from whom they rely on for their profits. Perhaps we should go back to keeping Gold under the bed ? ( not that I personally ever did ! )

Capetonian

#402 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 am

I've probably said this before but when I worked for one particular airline which had a lot of ethnic Portuguese passengers, we used to get these folk coming in with piles and boxes of musty smelling banknotes which had been kept under the mattress to pay for their tickets. We used to laugh at them. I think they could be laughing at us now.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#403 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 12, 2020 8:32 am

Unfortunately there is a move to stop using cash, I've experienced a few retails outlets in California that declare that they don't take cash on a notice attached to their front door, despite my pointing out the statement on every US dollar bill e.g. "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" . Perhaps I should sue them ? 'cept I can't afford to pay a US lawyer ! ( or maybe any lawyer ? )

I even tried to get my NZ bank to remove the PayWave system from my credit card, what happens if I drop it in the street, and someone picks it up and uses it ? OK, the bank did put a $80 max on PayWave transactions, but during the present Corona lockdown they've increase that to $200. How many $200 transactions can I afford to lose ? Plenty opportunity before I might discover the loss ? Cynic ? Moi ?

World's Gone Mad.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#404 Post by ian16th » Tue May 12, 2020 10:13 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:32 am
Unfortunately there is a move to stop using cash,
Since the beginning of 2019, I have virtually operated in a cashless manner.
Why?
'Cos it costs so much to get cash from a bank! Even using the banks own ATM.

I'm now one of those awkward sods that uses a credit card to buy 2 cups of coffee!

This was a 100% change from being a cash customer for most things.
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#405 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am

16 ... That's fair enough for you, but I don't have a cost getting local cash from our ATM's, at least, not that I'm aware of !

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#406 Post by ian16th » Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am
16 ... That's fair enough for you, but I don't have a cost getting local cash from our ATM's, at least, not that I'm aware of !
It wasn't at all 'fair', I discovered by finding a significant debit on my account. My fault, as I'd received the annual Rates letter, but only quickly scanned it.

The normal was that by keeping min balance of R10 000, paid for my normal banking needs. In previous years we were allowed 3 free ATM withdrawals a month each. Moving cash electronically between accounts was free, so this meant that SM & I had 6 withdrawals a month; more than adequate.

This was changed to a cash limit, rather than number of withdrawals. Then a withdrawal fee of 1.8%.
It cost me R54 to draw R3 000!
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#407 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Banking fees are very illogical. If I use my Irish bank debit card to draw cash in Ireland, or use the Irish credit card for purchases in Ireland, both attract a small fee. All transactions elsewhere in the Euro zone are free.

The fees show on my statement, and then at the end of each quarter are deducted, as I am over 65. Logic?

I believe most banks charge a fee to deposit cash, not that I ever do so.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#408 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 12, 2020 11:23 pm

My NZ bank doesn't charge to withdraw or deposit local cash, or use "their" ATM's, but charges an arm and a leg if I present a foreign cheque,or make an Online bank transfer from the UK. They make their profit, and cover their costs, by juggling the buying and selling foreign exchange rates anyway, then have the audacity to charge for the privilege as well. A pox on all of them.

When making an Online transaction now requiring a 2FA text code to be sent to me, won't this be automatic, i.e. I presume that there isn't a Dhobi Wallah in a hole in Hyderabad actually inserting my number into a machine ? Therefore the problem was that the necessary 00 to initiate an International phone call wasn't added to "the system" in the first place. N'est ce pas ?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#409 Post by FD2 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Speedy - I wonder if this '00' stupidity is why I still have to use the card reader to log into my RBS account. I'll see if I can log in and alter it so that I finally get a text message for log in. How a major bank could make such a pathetic error in the first place is beyond me - you must have been very patient not to lose your temper. X(

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#410 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 13, 2020 2:30 am

FD2 - yes, I had to use my Card Reader, which I fortunately have, and then tried the change mobile number gambit as described. I suggest that you enter your number as 0064xxxxxxxx and see what happens, ( I'm sure you know to drop the first 0 of your 027/021/022 mobile number, whatever you use ) but they did advise that I wouldn't be able to use it for 3 days. I did all this on Monday, and was told not to try until Friday. Breath is held. Will adv.

Temper ! I have mentioned that I am being careful, depends on how much they require our custom, International dealings with banks is becoming more and more difficult, and I'm afraid that if we give them too much hassle they will tell us to Foxtrot Oscar.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#411 Post by FD2 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:24 am

Speedy - I tried it and it would only accept its own input - choose country and +64 automatically appears. Any attempt to alter the +64 to 0064 or +0064 prompts red warnings so no deal. I now skip the wait for a text code and go straight to the card reader! Must save them a shedload of money or safeguard them from money laundering on a grand scale....can't trust these foreign mobile networks.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#412 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 13, 2020 5:08 am

FD2 - that's what happened to me, but I then got involved with the Digital Assistant Keyboard Chat, and that couldn't understand what I was talking about e.g. "why can't I change my mobile number ? " - sound simple enough ? In the end it switched me to an agent, still only by the keyboard tho', who eventually berated me for not adding 00 to my number when I posted it, but then told me that she had done it for me, big deal, but as I have said won't know the result until Friday.

I agree that the card reader works, but it is a lot more time wasting effort, like "where is my card " and " where is the reader" and "what is my PiN " then you have to add a long number to the computer and mine had about 8 4's in a row in it, took me a long time to establish how many 4's there actually were in the small print etc. !! Ain't science wonderful ?

As a colleague has just said - " will banks ever revert to brass grilles and the smell of polished mahogany counters ? " 'fraid not. Gold bars under the bed ??

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#413 Post by FD2 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:55 am

Thanks speedy. May try the interactive keyboard and try and fool it!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#414 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:37 am

Mrs. ExS received two letters from the USA today.

1) A cheque from an insurance company, that she now has to post back to the USA to deposit in a bank, for ..... 37 cents !! Cost 50 cents to post by slow
mail. They have her bank account details, couldn't they just have credited it ?

2) The second letter was from a USA bank, advising that unless they "heard from her" by June 8th her account would be "frozen' to Online access. The letter was dated 8th May, and postmarked 11th May and received in NZ on 17th June. They also have communicated by e-mail in the past. Drama now ensues.

Wankers the lot of them.

World's Gone Mad.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#415 Post by FD2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 am

Yes Speedy - that is one of the more annoying aspects of comms from the banks and one or two other organisations. Stuff is posted to my NZ address telling me about a deadline which I cannot hope to meet as it often seems to have been sent by donkey delivery, one which took a rest break en route. My old council sent voting papers a few years ago and used a postal 'service' based in Zurich. The stuff arrived after the vote! I pointed out to them that it wasn't very fair or sensible and next time they used a regular postal service and all arrived in plenty of time.
Yet another letter has arrived from the anonymous 'team' in RBS' Chatham offices telling me they had been trying to get in touch and I should have a UK registered mobile etc etc. As the 'team' had ignored the three previous letters to them, I decided to have a toot and wrote to the new CEO in Edinburgh. I doubt if she will respond but it made me feel better. They must waste a lot of paper and postage with that nonsense. The gist of the letter was to ask why their system could not send texts to foreign mobile numbers.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#416 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:17 am

The gist of the letter was to ask why their system could not send texts to foreign mobile numbers

I know, have the same problem, and also with USA banks. All the result of President Dubbya Bush's FATCA ( Fat Cats ? ) legislation to stamp out money laundering - fat chance, the launderers carry on regardless and only the (mainly !) law abiding, like us, are inconvenienced.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#417 Post by FD2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Next time I have to jump through hoops to transfer a small amount of money, I will be thinking of this man and his criminal 'customers':

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12339302

Like a spider's web of 'legitimate' outlets for dirty money. I hope he has plenty of time breaking rocks - oops - that's considered too brutal these days.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#418 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Ever since I own a credit card I have a standing order for the full amount to be paid on due date. Today I discovered that last Friday despite having the required amount the card was only partially paid by the account and I have to complete the payment with a separate transaction. And I have to pay a visit to a branch to see why the standing order was not completed.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#419 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:35 pm

FD2 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:05 pm
Next time I have to jump through hoops to transfer a small amount of money, I will be thinking of this man and his criminal 'customers':

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12339302

Like a spider's web of 'legitimate' outlets for dirty money. I hope he has plenty of time breaking rocks - oops - that's considered too brutal these days.
If you think that's bad, you should look out for RedPill.

WARNING!!!: that is absolutely not a recommendation that anyone should put so much as a Satoshi into that scam.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#420 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:17 pm

..........And I have to pay a visit to a branch ..........
Living in NZ, and having "identified" us by asking for our address, we find that both UK and USA banks end up by saying " Just pop into your nearest branch "

One could weep.