Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#321 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:41 pm

I think it was 1965 .......
Yes, would agree, 54 years ago, not 65. (Ran out of fingers.)

Capetonian

#322 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:58 pm

I just wrote out a cheque on my UK account to send to someone as a present.. It is the first one I've written since August 2018. The cheque book is not even half used and it's 5 years old.
When I opened my Irish account, I asked if I'd get a cheque book. The lady looked at me with pity and said 'cheques are so yesterday!'

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#323 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:34 pm

What's a cheque ?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#324 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 am

Once again ... my life disrupted because ..... a Direct Debit wasn't paid by my local bank w.e.f. 31st Dec. last month, so I was in arrears, not covered etc. and only discovered because the outfit concerned eventually wrote to me yesterday. (why so long in informing me ? - New Zealand closes down for a month from December 24th, annually. More important things like attending to barbecues at the local beach take precedence over any other considerations, but the school holidays are now over and the Country is starting up again.)

Why was the Direct Debit request refused by my bank ? Because it is allied to my VISA credit card issued by the bank, and they renewed my card last year, as they do every fours years, and of course the new card number didn't match the one on the Direct Debit authority that I had signed, when presented on schedule by the org. concerned.

WTF ? The BANK decided to, routinely, renew the card and THEY initiated that act, so THEY knew that I had owned the original number presented to them, and THEY knew my new number that THEY had created. Barstewards.

Am I supposed to remember all the people I have granted Direct Debit authority to in the 65 years that I have been dealing with banks? I guess the answer is yes, but does anyone ?

I have a 40 page A.4. file of Websites, Banks, Governement Agencies,Usernames, Passwords, Account numbers and memory prompts etc. etc.to conduct my present digital life, clearly insufficent - World's Gone Mad.

And no, I don't want to know about The Cloud, I don't trust that either.

Slasher

Re: Royal Wank of Bankers

#325 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 am

I don’t use that bloody Cloud either. We have a hidden book that contains all our financially related usernames, PINs, passcodes, current passwords and what have you. Also same are all bunged on our puters and phones.

If the Cloud disappears like a fart in the breeze or falls arse over we’d be stuffed if it was the sole source of our important crap. Plus I don’t trust it keeping valuable data from hackers. To me it feels like stickin’ it in a sealed plastic bag on a high supermarket shelf with my name on it like a price label.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#326 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 am

Fed up with paying £65 a year for a postbox I cancelled it. Went to tell the Spanish bank to send the monthly statements to my house in future. 40 minutes later and two eight page documents to sign, front and back, every page, notice now there's an error. Back there today. The sea is not rising on the Spanish coastline: Spain is sinking into the water under the weight of paperwork. Back to England for two months Any Day Now to sign paper work for selling the flat and find somewhere else.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#327 Post by OFSO » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Went back to bank. Nice lady (for a change) went thru all the documents I brought, assisted by Anna, a 'young' lady who has been there since 1996 and - mystery - not got any older. Of course I had forgotten my wife's passport...so back tomorrow.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#328 Post by Woody » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am

RBS to rebrand as NatWest, perhaps they’re hoping that we’ll forget about Fred the Shred X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#329 Post by barkingmad » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 am

RBS to rebrand as NotBest more suitable?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#330 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 am

Woody wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 am
RBS to rebrand as NatWest, perhaps they’re hoping that we’ll forget about Fred the Shred X(
Can NatWest issue Scots money?
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#331 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 am

NatWorst.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#332 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:05 pm

With the prevailing exchange rates, I decided to move some cash internationally.
And once again disgusted with the fees and exchange rate Barclays billed of my modest transaction.

Does anyone have any experience of the none Bank, internet services that have sprung up? and can recommend any of them as safe?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#333 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes. I move money as cash, and there's one bank wherby you order money to be collected before closing on the same day and get an excellent rate. I'll just sign off here and pop over to get the detail.

Best Foreign Exchange.

They also do large transfers but I have not used them for that so can't recommend either way.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#334 Post by k3k3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm

I use Currencyfair.com , over the last five years I've moved over €600k through them saving over €40k compared with the banks.

If you do decide to go with them let me know and I'll PM you my details so we can both get a referral bonus.

Capetonian

#335 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm

I assume you're moving GBP->ZAR, if you're doing it the other way right now you're nuts - and I don't think you are!

The best way is to find a trusted party who needs GBP. I use my Standard Bank account when I'm in ZA and a friend who wants to get his bucks out pays it for me, and I put the equivalent GBP into his UK account at the bank mid-rate.

I also use a multi-currency debit card called Revolut for countries where I don't have anther resource, you can convert between currencies at the bank mid-rate and then use the card for payments, withdrawals, and transfers. https://www.revolut.com The fees and limits depend on the level you choose and I've got the free one and it's perfectly adequate for my needs.

I've also used a dealer in London called Sterling FX https://www.sterlingfx.co.uk/ to buy cash, they will send it to you by courier if you don't want to up to London to fetch it, their rates are reasonable and their service is outstanding.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#336 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm
I assume you're moving GBP->ZAR, if you're doing it the other way right now you're nuts - and I don't think you are!
You got that direction right in one!
The best way is to find a trusted party who needs GBP. I use my Standard Bank account when I'm in ZA and a friend who wants to get his bucks out pays it for me, and I put the equivalent GBP into his UK account at the bank mid-rate.
My usual method, but I seem to have outlived all of my trusted partners! Also nowadays it is quite easy and legal to offshore significant sums.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#337 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm
I use Currencyfair.com , over the last five years I've moved over €600k through them saving over €40k compared with the banks.

If you do decide to go with them let me know and I'll PM you my details so we can both get a referral bonus.
Thanks but, I'm not dealing in number anywhere near those.

The only large number on my horizon, is if I decide to buy a new car, R400K/€23k or so, which is economically is stupid at my age. But my old Mazda is, OLD!

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#338 Post by k3k3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm

I started off with a wary eye by moving €100, then a bit more, then irregular amounts, then bits here and there until after a few years I moved redundancy payment, pension and then the proceed of selling a house. They have a flat fee of €3 per transaction.

https://www.currencyfair.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... ooglebrand

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#339 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm
I started off with a wary eye by moving €100, then a bit more, then irregular amounts, then bits here and there until after a few years I moved redundancy payment, pension and then the proceed of selling a house. They have a flat fee of €3 per transaction.

https://www.currencyfair.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... ooglebrand
Noted.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#340 Post by Wodrick » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:51 pm

+1 I move our Govmint pensions as required with them - faultless
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash