Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#241 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Mrs OFSO just received an SMS from the Nat Vest International on sleepy hollow island confirming she'd changed her mobile number and "this message is being sent to both old and new numbers. If you haven't asked us to change your number please contact us immediately". It's a joint a/c, I haven't heard anything. Strongly suspect the half-asleep dimwits (50,000 alcoholic millionaires clinging to a sea-bound rock north of Caen) are trying to implement the new one-off PIN system and have made a mistake. Or two. Or many.

Anyway, have reported it as a phishing attempt.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#242 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm

The bank's boss was on the telly this morning following the announcement the bank had made a profit. Right miserable looking git, you would have thought he would have a big beaming smile at the prospect of receiving a nice bonus.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#243 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm
The bank's boss was on the telly this morning following the announcement the bank had made a profit. Right miserable looking git, you would have thought he would have a big beaming smile at the prospect of receiving a nice bonus.
He's gloomy at the prospect of all the flack coming his way for the excessive bonus he's just earned. Or he's figured out how much of it the government is going to take.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#244 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Just been advised by Natuseless that they are starting to use OTP codes to a mobile phone, this despite the fact that I already use their 'card reader' for transfer of money out of the bank, in my case to my N.Z. bank. What law says I must own a mobile phone?

Will they ring an International number, USA banks won't.

Any experience by anyone ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#245 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Booking September/October respite from facists/ants/wasps/french today, none of my Naty Vest cards were accepted by Urinstar on line. Bastards.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#246 Post by Woody » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 pm

I hope Fox3 had one of these cards :-bd

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -customers

I know it’s a Grauniad link, but actually not a bad thing.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#247 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am

After being told that I could just use my card reader to online bank I was told I needed an SMS one time code yesterday. There was 'no mobile' option. I was advised I would have an easier time or summat if I bought one. Perhaps they would like to buy folk mobile phones. I got on in the end. I am going to invite them to send me an SMS and see how long it takes. Last time was 6 months ago and it still has not arrived.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#248 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Agree, wot law says one must have a mobile phone ?

Sadly, they will just make it a condition of accepting you as a customer, I.e. it's their train set if one wants to play.

However, are Natuseless going to refuse to make international calls, like the U.S. banks ?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#249 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

An offer that I can refuse!

Since the beginning of this year, my SA bank has charged a vast sum to withdraw cash from ATM's.
As a result we have been using our credit cards for almost all retail transactions.
This in turn has cause me to run up a large credit card bill, that I have religiously paid in full each month.
I am very aware of the horrendous rates of interest that the bank will levy, if I am a microsecond over the date due.
Today I received this sms/text message:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Somehow, I will find the willpower to decline this most generous offer!
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#250 Post by Capetonian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:46 pm

That's incredibly generous of them, Ian.
You should be on your knees instead of making a mockery of it.
Oddly enough i haven't had the same magnanimous offer but that might be because my account is nearly always in credit..

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#251 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:39 pm

I admit I have to spend time managing and making sure that my money is where it is needed at different times of the month, but what is the point of keeping a credit balance in a credit card account?

If you want to use the credit facility, you pay the bank to borrow your own money.

I leave as much of my liquid cash as I can in a Market Linked Savings Account, and use the 1 free transaction a month, to move a lump money to a cheque account, then pay the months bills with free transfers from the cheque account.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#252 Post by llondel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 pm

The time a credit balance on your card works is if you need to use it to draw cash abroad. Normally they star charging interest on cash advances immediately so if you're in credit, there's no debit balance on which to charge interest so you only get stung for all the fees.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#253 Post by Boac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am

For general (UK) interest, I am now hooked on a C/C from 'Tandem', one of the newer 'internet banks'. Working well so far, good overseas costs, 1/2 % cashback on all purchases and FREE!

Capetonian

#254 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am

I know it may seem illogical to keep a plus balance on a credit card account but it's never more than a couple of thousand Rand (£100-200). it costs me R40 a month to maintain the credit card account which is partly offset by the couple of rand interest.

At one time I had a private current account and a business current account. When I no longer needed the business one I mistakenly closed the private one, and the bank closed the business account as it had a zero balance and no activity.

At that point I realised I don't need a current account in South Africa so I just kept the credit card account. Payments in can go to the credit card account.

Now back to topic which is the Royal Wank of Bankers. They have been less than helpful and efficient in trying to trace an inbound regular payment of a sum of money (5 figures) which was transferred to me on the 27AUG. The remitting entity is blaming my bank and my bank are saying they have nothing in the incoming department which is probably but it's like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.

Meanwhile the remitting entity are being obstructive and unhelpful. I've written to everybody involved in this and explained that whoever's fault it might be it certainly isn't mine. I'm the victim and whoever is responsible is going to have to both explain and compensate me.

Yesterday when I phoned them and they went through the security questions they told me I had my date of birth wrong. Turned out they were looking at someone else's account. Having had the same date of birth for 66 years I don't think it's likely that I would either forget it or that it would change.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#255 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am

llondel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 pm
The time a credit balance on your card works is if you need to use it to draw cash abroad. Normally they star charging interest on cash advances immediately so if you're in credit, there's no debit balance on which to charge interest so you only get stung for all the fees.
My globe trotting days are over, so that is not a requirement.

If it was, wouldn't my debit card suffice?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#256 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am
llondel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 pm
My globe trotting days are over, so that is not a requirement.

If it was, wouldn't my debit card suffice?
Probably not.

I have a credit card that has no overseas transaction charges and the conversion rate is dynamic. If we preloaded it then we could draw cash without interest and with preferential rates.

My bank, OTOH, charges both a fee and transaction charge.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#257 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Came across the new security wank today for the first time. Logged in, password and PIN fine. Checked transactions, fine. Thought to check the planned payments. Had to enter password and PIN again, WTF, I just want to look. Then they send me a text with numbers to enter.

Now if I wanted to change anything yes, but look? Then I went into the Move money page. Straight in. I haven't tried to actually move money yet.

Load of bollocks. Suppose I have a banking app on my phone and it is hacked? Or I lose the phone, I am ****.

Has anyone else had to reenter passwords just to look?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#258 Post by Woody » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Now back to topic which is the Royal Wank of Bankers. They have been less than helpful and efficient in trying to trace an inbound regular payment of a sum of money (5 figures) which was transferred to me on the 27AUG. The remitting entity is blaming my bank and my bank are saying they have nothing in the incoming department which is probably but it's like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone.
I’ve got a similar problem with an account in ZA, money is never credited to my estate account, this is the only one that I have problems with, have transferred much larger amounts using the same fx company no problems X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#259 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm

It should be possible to do a trace on where it went, there should be electronic records for that.

This is why, when transferring between two UK banks, I'd withdraw cash from one, walk over the the branch of the other one and pay it in. No arguments then.

Obviously not an easy solution for overseas transfers though.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#260 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Llondel, daughter paid money into her bank rather than carry it on the train to London. In town she went to the bank to get some cash - nothing there.

Next week she walked into bank and demanded her money, all her money, and walked out and over the road with a shade over £1,000. They were gob smacked.

When my bank said it would take 3 days to transfer money to my building society I said fine. Give me the cash. We walked £75k round the corner to the Building Society.

I asked for a private room to pay in. No they said, over the counter. As packet after packet was passed they said come in the back.

They were petrified with that much cash in the premisses :)