Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#181 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 07, 2019 4:37 am

Same as "How many accounts do you hold with us " ?

Don't they know !

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#182 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 08, 2019 12:53 am

New Bank rant .... Mrs. ExS has just been advised that her US bank is cancelling her VISA card, registered to our NZ address since 1990, because she doesn't have a US address.

This should be interesting on our shortly to be taken visit, 'specially in view of recent advice that some High St. retailers now refuse cash transactions.

What should we take to use as "barter" ?

Wankers.

Thinks ... wasn't there some discussion on this thread not too long ago about "temporary" "short term temporary travel" credit cards being available, have looked back a few months without success ?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by Hydromet » Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 am

I use a debit card onto which I can load currency, then convert to whatever currency I wish to spend it in. Never had a problem using it either in ATMs, over the counter or on-line transactions. Look up 'Cash Passport' (other brands are available).

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#184 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 08, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks, I seem to recall some dialogue along those lines previously.

Ref: My #176. Today I found another local bank offering similar terms to the one that Westpac were happy to make me wait 10 days before I could attend the branch to sign papers for, and have opened Online. All done. I have just rung the branch, refused to listen to their music and left a message telling them to get stuffed, or words to that effect, as I have given my money to a more efficient bank. They won't care, but I feel better!

Capetonian

#185 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 am

wasn't there some discussion on this thread not too long ago about "temporary" "short term temporary travel" credit cards being available, have looked back a few months without success ?
Revolut.
Prepaid multicurrency debit card. I've been very hapy with mine and it has saved me a lot in exchange fees in the last few months.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#186 Post by ian16th » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am

If one has several accounts in different places, it may be a matter of convenience to use a credit card.

The use of debit cards has to be pre-planned and rules this out.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#187 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm

This is not about the Royal Bank of Wankers but it could be, and I had a similar experience with them a few years, when I inadvertently went about 70p. overdrawn for two days on an account which for about the previous 20 years had never had a balance of less than a few hundred pounds, and more often, a few thousand.

It was written by a friend who is nearly 80, a man with a very distinguished career, properties in three countries, and very wealthy.
For the attention of the Chief Executive, Diners Club.

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am solvent. I have been a member of Diners Club since 1976.

I have spent not inconsiderable sums of money via my Diners Card in the years since.

in addition, my payment record with Diners (and every other commercial and professional entity with which I have been associated) has been impeccable for forty-three years.

Last month I was ill and there was a minor mix-up with my monthly payment, which was immediately rectified last week.

Today, at just after 2.30pm, I received a telephone call from someone, an impertinent fellow, purporting to be a representative of Diners Club.

His rehearsed speech was in my view jumbled and unprofessional, until he asked me for my monthly income and expenditure. I told him to **** off.

For the record, I do not give out confidential information over the telephone.

Nor do I divulge confidential personal information to anyone without very good reason. After 43 years with an impeccable payment record, Diners Club, quite frankly, does not qualify to intrude into my personal details.

If you do not like my attitude regarding my private, personal, and confidential information, please advise me urgently by return.

Please also advise me forthwith and immediately whether you wish to retain me as a customer/member.

I am copying this note to close friends who may or may not have long standing relationships with Diners Club.

Yours truly,

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#188 Post by ian16th » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Used to have a company Diners Card, a despicable lot.

Apparently the supplied the company with very good documentation that made it easy dealing with the Tax Man.

As the card user, they were a pain.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#189 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 am

Probably not really the right thread, but isn’t Capitalism wonderful :ymdevil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48506032
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#190 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:29 pm

I am about to open an account with HSBC. Lovely lady employee accepts me sending the initial documents by email to check and then deliver her the original. However she pointed out I needed to include a phone number for the appointment necessary. I told her she can send me an email but she said phone is more reliable and GDPR says so.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#191 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:49 pm

In response to Woody's post #189, I drafted a response which requires me to sit on it and carefully vet it for any libelous content, particularly when discussing Ponzi schemes and Mr Woodford and when mentioning George Bloody Matthewson and his protegee Fed **** in the on-topic subject matter of the thread's aforementioned RBW.

In the meantime, take a look at how Ponzi scams work. Take a look at the 18% returns which we investors were getting from Woodford and have a look at the 18% returns on offer from Bernie Madoff. Forget the differences. Look at the similarities.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#192 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 am

I closed an account with B---International located in the IoM last December. A/c closed, money transferred elsewhere, aufwiedersehn, goodby, farewell, finis. Last month I received a half-yearly statement from them, £3.35 in the a/c. Why ? WHY ??

Capetonian

#193 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 am

I have decided to stop using bank cards where cash is an option. If I need to buy airline tickets, rent a car, or need a receipt for some reason, then I'll use a CC, otherwise it's cash. It seems large cash payments are becoming less and less popular and are sometimes queried. Good. I paid a £300 restaurant bill last week in cash and was asked if I had a bank card. I said yes, several in fact, but I choose to pay cash and until such time as it becomes illegal to do so, I will exercise my right to use whatever FoP I choose.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#194 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 am
I closed an account with B---International located in the IoM last December. A/c closed, money transferred elsewhere, aufwiedersehn, goodby, farewell, finis. Last month I received a half-yearly statement from them, £3.35 in the a/c. Why ? WHY ??
Its called Interest!

I have an account I'm trying to close. My 'Relationship Manager' told me to empty the a/c, so I did.

At month end it had 8p interest paid into it ~X(

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#195 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 am
I have decided to stop using bank cards where cash is an option. If I need to buy airline tickets, rent a car, or need a receipt for some reason, then I'll use a CC, otherwise it's cash. It seems large cash payments are becoming less and less popular and are sometimes queried. Good. I paid a £300 restaurant bill last week in cash and was asked if I had a bank card. I said yes, several in fact, but I choose to pay cash and until such time as it becomes illegal to do so, I will exercise my right to use whatever FoP I choose.
Cape
I've had to move the other way!
SBSA at the beginning of this year changed their transaction fees and it is now very expensive to draw cash!
Whereas they allowed 3 ATM withdrawalls a month, which gave us 6 from 2 a/c's. They now allow R5 000/Month and then charge 1.8% fee.
So now I'm one of these awkward sods that buys 2 cups of coffee on my CC.

Any significant purchases, where a discount can be negotiated for cash, can of course be done by EFT.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#196 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 am

Lots of countries, including France, have tax authorities very suspicious of cash transactions. I can see it being on the way out. Except in Greece !

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#197 Post by Smeagol » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am

Here in Taiwan, whilst cards are used and accepted widely, cash is still king in many shops and restaurants. Have not used my card for a payment in the last four weeks.
We hates Bagginses!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#198 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 am

Since sending my last 2 posts, I've received an e-mail from SBSA.

It is a REMINDER to pay my CC by 27th July!!!!

1. I have not yet received this months statement.
2. I ALWAYS pay off my CC account in full.
3. As I explained earlier, I am using my CC much more than I ever did, I am as a result of this getting close to my credit limit some months.

I replied with a snottogram.
(Is it one or two T's in snottogram?)

Capetonian

#199 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Something seems to have gone wrong with SB's emailing system as for years I regularly got my card statement on or around the 15th. of the month showing the amount due on or around 8th. of the following month. In January they stopped coming and it took me several hours both on the phone and in branch to get it sorted out.

Back to RBS/NatWest. I had a problem on Monday drawing cash with my NatWest debit card, it seemed that the strip may have been damaged as it didn't work at one branch and did at another. Because my account is offshore, and the mainland branches aren't connected to the offshore system, although the ATMs are, the branch couldn't help. I phoned Jersey for a replacement card which arrived today by DHL. That is not bad service.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#200 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 pm
Something seems to have gone wrong with SB's emailing system as for years I regularly got my card statement on or around the 15th. of the month showing the amount due on or around 8th. of the following month. In January they stopped coming and it took me several hours both on the phone and in branch to get it sorted out.
SB changed every ones CC statement date in January!

To the 1st of the month.

My due date every month is the 27th. My local annuity that I live off for day to day expenses, is paid on the 28th! :-s
Seeing as I now put most things on the CC it took some sorting, but I'm in control of thing snow.