Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#481 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 am

Hurray ! Natwurst have finally started to sent me an OTP to my mobile phone on an my International ( to them ) number. 6 hours after I requested it ! but they're getting better, yesterday it only took them 4 hours.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#482 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:53 am

6 hours after I requested it ! but they're getting better, yesterday it only took them 4 hours.
That's better?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#483 Post by FD2 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:40 am

You’re lucky - RBS has managed code once in 7 log in attempts. I now by pass it and go straight to card reader. That one time was probably a mistake by their IT department.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#484 Post by ricardian » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:10 am

Mobile phone reception up here is very patchy so I was quite annoyed when Santander decided that they would be sending me OTP via mobile phone every time I wanted to check my bank balance on my desktop (running Windows 10). I asked if they could send the OTP to my landline phone (as has been done by Paypal for some time) but no, Santander can't do that.
I checked and found that TSB will send OTP to my landline phone. Am now in the middle of switching from Santander to TSB.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#485 Post by Boac » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pm

Not only that but Sant OTPs sometimes take so long to arrive that I have been logged out two or three times and then like London buses......................... the record is 7 arriving together

Every other bank I use that sends 'codes' reacts pretty-well immediately. Sant won't hear a word against it.. "It's your network" It's your phone" "Have you re-booted your phone" NO Sant - it's your ***** 'budget' texting programme.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#486 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:58 pm

After 12 years with Nationwide they have started to send me a letter every month saying my credit card statement is ready - it should be an email but they say they can’t get it through to me. Funnily enough the monthly email that my current account statement is ready arrives okay. They initially tried to blame the fact that their records showed I’d registered my email address in upper case. No I didn’t, and in any case it wouldn’t matter if I had.

Then they said that they can’t get through because I have a ’private’ email address - ie an email address associated with my domain name - and my security is rejecting their email. No it isn’t! Nationwide is wild carded as a ‘friend’ in Mailwasher Pro so any Nationwide address will get through. Their latest suggestion is that I use a hotmail, gmail or yahoo email address. =)) =))

At that point I gave up - I really don’t care if they keep sending letters, it’s their problem not mine.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#487 Post by llondel » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:42 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:58 pm
After 12 years with Nationwide they have started to send me a letter every month saying my credit card statement is ready - it should be an email but they say they can’t get it through to me. Funnily enough the monthly email that my current account statement is ready arrives okay. They initially tried to blame the fact that their records showed I’d registered my email address in upper case. No I didn’t, and in any case it wouldn’t matter if I had.

Then they said that they can’t get through because I have a ’private’ email address - ie an email address associated with my domain name - and my security is rejecting their email. No it isn’t! Nationwide is wild carded as a ‘friend’ in Mailwasher Pro so any Nationwide address will get through. Their latest suggestion is that I use a hotmail, gmail or yahoo email address. =)) =))

At that point I gave up - I really don’t care if they keep sending letters, it’s their problem not mine.
If it's anything like my situation with MBNA and Capital One over the years, it just shows that your email system is buttoned up tightly and you don't click on any of their links, so they never get an indication that you've read the email.

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#488 Post by talmacapt » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Not the Royal but my Finnish bank, may be this should be in rant of the day.

I want to buy a large piece of land, with my Finnish wife of 20 years, in the middle of nowhere, with a summer cottage on it and on the shores of a lake in Northern Finland.

As you can imagine it is not that expensive, in UK terms, somewhat less than 50000 €.

Because it is owned by the estate of a dead Swiss man, I wish to protect my cash payment by opening an escrow account, whereby the money will be transferred when I receive the title to the land with proof that there is no outstanding debt (mortgage) on it.

My bank, with whom I have been for 22 years, treat this as opening a new account and, as is correct, there are some hurdles to go through.

Because of Brexit, I am in the process of changing my status from a permanent resident of Finland, as a citizen of the EU, to that of a permanent resident under the transition agreement, and my permanent status is shown as under review.

Despite it being the same bank, the current balance is several times the amount changing accounts, they are being difficult.

I hate computers.

Grrr!!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#489 Post by OFSO » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:23 pm

I have just refused a substantial offer for my villa after carrying out due diligence on the potential purchaser's past life, including the supposed source of his income past and present. The estate agent is upset with my refusal, as they think that as the money is coming from a bank as mortgage provider, there is no risk to me if the purchaser defaults or does a disappearing act between payment of the 10% deposit and the remaining 90% three months later.

We know of several cases where banks have not done due diligence. In the middle of one property deal the purchaser, a nightclub owner, had his assets seized by the state - including our friend's property, on which the contract had been signed but was in the middle of the three month period before handover of the house. In another, the Escritura, or papers assigning ownership, whilst in transit between agent and bank, had a forged signature appended which was deemed genuine by the authorities and the English owner lost the property.

In both cases the Spanish blocked the bank accounts of both vendor and purchaser until the matter was 'resolved' which can take years in Spain.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#490 Post by FD2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#491 Post by Woody » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:59 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#492 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm

It's beyond belief Woody, that the people in the bank didn't seem suspicious of this activity with bags of dosh being brought in. To be fair I think it was before Rose took over as CEO but she has made the same old, same old statement about how they take these things extremely seriously but I've long though that only applies to ordinary customers like thee and me who have to jump through many hoops to open accounts etc etc.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#493 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:22 am

Barclays this time. I opened an account in the early '70's, forget the exact date, silly me. It has never been a major influence in my life, and last April they wrote and told me to F Off as I no longer had a UK address, so I agreed to close my account and asked them to transfer the funds to my UK Natwurst a/c as they still seem to want my business ( my UK occupational pension still gets paid in to them ) This never happened, and as it is a small amount anyway, and as we got involved in house sale and move from then on, I forgot all about it until last December when they sent me all sorts of info. about changes to their services and procedures. What ? I'm no longer a customer, Hey, wait a minute the barstewards never sent my money to Natwurst. WTF ?

Long story, but of course they never closed my account and now refuse to do so, and refuse to acknowledge my local change of address because - quote - " We don't have a copy of your signature, just pop into the nearest branch with your driving licence and passport." I've written and asked them for the address of my nearest branch in New Zealand, along with a sarcastic comment about their intelligence level.

But ... I gave my signature to that Dorset branch some 50 years ago, that branch since closed and my account was moved to Yeovil so your problem mate, but .... If I now send them a witnessed and legally acceptable authenticated copy of my present signature, no doubt changed somewhat over the years ? if they haven't got my original one how will they be able to compare it. How will they know that the Mr. XXXX XXXXX writing to them now is the same Mr XXXX XXXXX who opened the account so many years ago ? So why bother, they're happily sending useless bumpf to someone they think has an account with them, so why not let that same person close the account?

Worse than barstewards, incompetent, illogical, frustrating barstewards.

Why do we have to put up with these idiots. Hopefully i can get rid of them.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#494 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:07 am

I was expecting them to do the same to me. Barclaycard decided that as I no longer had a UK address I couldn't have one of their credit cards, so they closed the account (third time we've parted ways, previous two times were because they wanted to start charging an annual fee) and I've been wondering whether they'd do the same with the bank account. Not yet, it seems, although that might be because I haven't yet met the criteria. They did manage to change my address to the US one, despite their best efforts to screw that up.