Royal Bank of Wankers

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Royal Bank of Wankers

#221 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Dear xxxxx

Your July 23, 2019 E-Statement for your NatWest Credit Card (account number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) is now ready for viewing. Just log in to NatWest Credit Card Online Services.

Look out for any special offers on the online PDF version of your statement. Please note that such offers may have a limited time period, so we advise you to make use of any that appeal to you soon after you receive this email.

Thank you for banking with us.

Paul Riley
Head of Credit Cards
Credit Card Online Services
This service is closing at the end of July.

Already registered for NatWest Online? Log in here.

If you don't have a NatWest Online account, you can register here.
I can only assume that the one hand is so busy wanking that it hasn't told the other that you can no longer log in to credit cards online.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 am

A Natwest e-mail letter to day advises changes to be introduced wef 16th October, including stopping the use of cards to pay from my savings account. . A suggestion that I might want to visit my local branch to discuss - in New Zealand ? Barstewards

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#223 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am

TO IMPROVE SECURITY RBS are now going to send an SMS with a code when you want to make an online transaction. SMSs to here either never arrive or take hours. it is almost as bad in Greece. Our branch has closed my friendly bank manager has left the company. No new branch just use any branch they say. Now have to sort this mess out. Can't find an e-mail address but apparently they are here to help me. Loads of telephone numbers and we know what will happen then.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:52 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am
SMSs to here either never arrive or take hours.
This can happen in civilisation.

Which is why the RNLI are upset with the withdrawal of the Pager Service.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#225 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:31 pm

We have a card reader to generate random numbers, apparently that will still work but may also need SMS random number. We used to have a random number generator for our Greek account but they stopped using it. Now it is SMS so we can't do online banking with them.

As you say Ian it can be the same anywhere.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#226 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Sadly all these Banking hoops that we now have to jump through only inconvenience the law abiding - us ? - the real bad boys, whom the banks are trying to protect us from, take no notice and carry on as usual - successfully.

Capetonian

#227 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 pm

Every day in the 'money' columns of the UK press there is a story about how someone was relieved of tens of thousands of pounds by scammers. The criminals appear to be well ahead of the banks, as is the case in so many areas of life.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie ... /#comments
In 2016 I was the victim of fraud through no fault of my own. The case is still not solved and I have reached the point of despair.

The fraud occurred when I tried to wire $75,000 (£60,320) from Cayman National Bank (CNB) in the Cayman Islands, where I was working as a sports coach at the time, to my Nationwide account in the UK via its online secure login.

I received an email confirming the transfer had been successfully sent. But my money had been redirected to a fraudster’s account without my knowledge.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#228 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm

I eventually found a complaints form for the Royal Bank. So happy I filled it in straight away and shot it off. Had a reply this morning. They said that my account number is wrong, They can find no record of me. Well, I didn't know there was a Royal Bank of Canada. Anyway they were very pleasant and even sent a reply to my apology. Said if they can be of anymore assistance please do not hesitate to contact them. Perhaps I should switch to them.

Suddenly remembered my bust up with RBS about the salutation 'Hi Paul'. Just shot off an e-mail to the helpful staff in that department.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#229 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

They still cannot find a new CEO, ex-A, but this email address may still get a response. ross.mcewan@rbs.com

Alternatively, first Giggle-hit was

https://www.rbs.co.uk/global/h/contact- ... LEREWCC__0

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#230 Post by ricardian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Up here we have the Bank of Scotland and the Royal Bank of Scotland. Very confusing at first.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Capetonian

#231 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:10 pm

In Northern Ireland, there are bank notes issued by the Bank of Ireland - in Sterling!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#232 Post by ricardian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:54 am

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:10 pm
In Northern Ireland, there are bank notes issued by the Bank of Ireland - in Sterling!
I remember getting a weird mixture of banknotes when being paid prior to returning from RAF overseas bases to the UK. The Irish Linen Bank is one!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#233 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 am

Boac:
They still cannot find a new CEO, ex-A, but this email address may still get a response. ross.mcewan@rbs.com

Alternatively, first Giggle-hit was:
Thank you Boac. I found that form and every time I filled it in it told me that I had missed some information in red with a red * but there was no * next to any line. I have now found another form and have had a reply of action in 10 working days. Can you imagine saying that to a memo from the Stn Cdr :-o.

I have e-mailed the complaints people who were helpful last time. If all else fails I will try that one Boac, ta. Wish our branch was still open with my tame manager.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#234 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 am
Wish our branch was still open with my tame manager.
A system that can't be beat!

When I worked in Leeds, my office was above the local Barclays Branch.

The staff from both offices drank in the same pub at lunch time.

This made for superb working relationships.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#235 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 pm

The ten working days response time to the form was less than 24 hrs :-o

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#236 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Steve Allen on LBC has been drivelling on ad inf about the horrors of the one-off PIN sent by SMS. I do not think the system is very safe, since if your bank card is stolen it's possible your phone has too, nevertheless it's simplicity itself to use and works every time. HMRC also use it, but in their case you can set the one-off PIN to last seven days.

Capetonian

#237 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm

I do not think the system is very safe, since if your bank card is stolen it's possible your phone has too
Not just possible, but very likely judging by the number of people I see who keep their bank cards in the 'phone's case.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:29 pm

If you've lost both then you're likely to be aware of that and can cancel stuff. The big win for the phone-delivered PIN is for the case when someone skims your card details and attempts to use it without your knowledge because either you get sent a random PIN or they realise it's not a good idea to try.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#239 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 pm

This made for superb working relationships.
But things we’re different in them days, the World hadn’t gone mad I.e. everything wasn't digital.

Capetonian

#240 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:27 pm

If you've lost both then you're likely to be aware of that and can cancel stuff
If you haven't got your phone, and like many people, you keep your life on it, you won't even be able to get the numbers to contact your banks(s) etc without going to a computer to dig out all the info.
Then you'd need access to a phone to make the calls.
I keep all info, including recto/verso copies of all my bank cards etc, on a Dropbox document, and a hard copy in my safe. I realised that there is a risk in that too, but few things in life are risk free.