The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#501 Post by om15 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Holes if you accidentally drill yourself???
Daily occurrence when I was working as a structural fitter, 1/8" holes (or 3.3 mm clearance) in fingers when drilling out rivets.

Good news Angels.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#502 Post by 1DC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Thank you for the advice which is noted. I think that 80 is the cut off for renting in Australia. My reasoning for driving to Broome and then taking a tour from Broome to Darwin is that you probably need 4WD and local knowledge to see the interesting places. My initial thought was to take a couple of months driving from Perth to Darwin and then Darwin to Cairns but the family aren't so keen on Darwin to Cairns.Daughter doesn't think it is worth it.

Had the ultimate comedy of errors tonight. Took the lodging dog for a walk along the seafront, then came home via the Indian in the village and ordered tea. Went home to drop off Mrs 1DC and dog, realised i had lost the door key whilst we were out.One upstairs bedroom window slightly open so went and borrowed neighbours long ladders, climbed up to window with Mrs 1DC as anchor man who was panicking cos my balance is not perfect. Managed to unhook the security catch and get the window wide open, somersaulted(fell) into the bedroom setting off burglar alarm, sorted the alarm and unlocked back door to let the others in. Replaced ladder in neighbours garage. It was now time to collect Indian, got the spare key to front door to unlock it, door wouldn't unlock found another key and door still wouldn't unlock. Discovered the problem. When we went out to walk the dog some goon locked the door and instead of putting the key in his pocket left it in the door.. :-? :-? :-?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#503 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm

angels wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am
They tried to change Mrs Angels cannula at about 2200 last night. At about 0230 they gave up and now she has a swollen right hand where the old cannula was and a left hand/arm full of holes -- but no cannula. They couldn't find a vein. I'm sure Mrs ex-A would have done it no problem.
A while back I spent time in several hospitals under the influence of warfarin - needing frequent blood checks to regulate the dose.
The 'doctors' were rubbish at finding veins, but most of the standard nurses were competent - although occasionally they had to call for the expert (phlebotomist).
angels wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am
CremeEgg wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 pm
enjoyed the morphine drip though
Ah yes, the old morphine drip. Lovely!
I had the joy of the self-administered morphine pump after my thoracotomy (lung removal).
Very 'addictive' (all in the interest of pain-relief of course).

For those who might be vaguely interested, I was on warfarin as they diagnosed a pulmonary embolism, whereas I continued to have 'incidents' when on the rat-poison and eventually degenerated into regurgitating necrotic tissue.
The actual cause was a pulmonary sequestration (which, in retrospect, had plagued me for much of my life with lingering bronchitis), but which became chronic after I ingested spray from a powerful organo-phosphate weedkiller which eventually 'killed off' the blood supply to the parasitic lung - which then proceeded to 'die'.

I had several chest X-rays, biopsies, lumber puncture (my second - I had my first when I was 3 years old), CT scans, MRI scans , , ,

It is easy to identify the situation after the event, however several teaching hospitals (Jimmy's at Leeds, Queens Medical Centre Nottingham and as well as the Freeman Newcastle) failed to diagnose my symptoms (it was amusing having the professor's students asking questions and attempting to guess the cause when the professor himself 'didn't know' - and never did.

My eventual surgery was as a result of my 'golden ticket' given to me by the Freeman Hospital (a centre of excellence for heart and lung transplants) - I was told to 'turn up' without prior consultation if (when) my symptoms deteriorated.
I was immediately placed on the list for the following session.

As I was wheeled into the theatre for 'life-saving' surgery, the surgeon and the anaesthetist were placing bets as to the cause.

Is that sufficiently boring?

angels
Capt
Capt

#504 Post by angels » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:09 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm
Is that sufficiently boring?
Certainly not. In fact it was interesting! Tut tut! [-X
All generalisations are false, including this one.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#505 Post by jimtherev » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm

In re cannulas (or is it cannulae?) I've been amused that the nurses who do lots of these per diem - e.g. chemotherapy lasses - have good days and bad days. Last time I was in, someone who is normally a first-timer had three stabs at getting it right (literally) but then had to ask a colleague who managed almost un-noticed and first time.
Glad that Mrs A is out of it for the time being, anyway.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#506 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 pm

During one of my stays in the Freeman (in the cardiothoracic surgical ward), one of the patients who was being assessed received the news that he was 'too far gone' to be considered for a transplant, whereupon he treated us to a hearty rendition of 'Always look on the bright side of life' - which he repeated whenever the ward needed cheering up - until he was sent home to die.

My operation left me with years of chronic pain (the thoracotomy operation is more intrusive than heart surgery) and I was informed that most thoracic patients don't live long enough to experience lasting chronic pain (because of cancer).
I had long and deep discussions with the Psychiatric Nurse about the nature of pain - which he believed is 'all in the mind'.
My soubriquet at TOP was 'Resident insomniac' due to my regularly spending 72 clear hours without a wink of sleep - now managed with prescribed medication (I had an understanding and sympathetic GP who worked me through amitriptyline, fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram and several other horrible SSRIs, ending up with mirtazapine and temazepam).
I now know that I can guarantee some sleep and can vary the dose according to circumstances.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#507 Post by Wodrick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Welcome *G-*
I assume not banned like me but fed up with the censoring like me.

Be as boring as you like, 'tis the point.

Grand that Mrs A is returned to the free world.

Like anyone who attains pensionable age one has had a few blood tests, the best ever was a professional vampire at The Alexandra in Cheadle, never felt and no bruise.
Luscious Louisa at my local health place, no English, I just point and say aqui, she is good too. Qualifies for *Slash* consideration too.

That's it, Zebidee.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#508 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:52 pm
Welcome *G-*
I assume not banned like me but fed up with the censoring like me.
I have what seems to be a permanent ban from R&N which was initiated because I likened Italians to mañana regarding the progress of an accident report being delayed (an attitude which I have experienced whilst working in Italy - 'domani').

I was also 'given time out - this is not a ban' from the Friday Jokes thread for something that slips my mind now.

Slasher

#509 Post by Slasher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:09 pm
So do you have radial backfire hack or the full phlegm high bypass surge...?
Full phlegm high bypass surges interspersing radial backfire hacks before I went to bed.

Just woke up for no reason. Nose not too bad. Throat less sore but still a sea of muck in my chest that just got dumped overboard. Am going back to sleep.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#510 Post by handsfree » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:35 am

It was obviously bad cannula insertion day yesterday. The extremely pretty "new" doctor had I fear not done many before.
Still you have to start somewhere and she got it in eventually.
The blood test they took as I arrived revealed that my haemoglobin levels had dropped further so it was decided that 3 units
would be the top up. This resulted in a very healthy looking HF finally getting kicked out of the hospital at 22:00.
9 hours of being tied to a machine is very, very boring.

Much cooler today but a very pleasant day in the offing. I shall do nowt.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#511 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am

Definitely a great deal cooler today, hopefully Perry Oaks International will be a bit more bearable :D
Heading off camping at Bristol Balloon Festival this weekend , will try and post some pictures if WiFi is good enough.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#512 Post by om15 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 am

Heard a steam engine clattering through the village last night, preparations afoot for the big week in a couple of weeks time, the roads will be clogged up with 5 mile an hour traffic for several weeks now.

For those who haven't experienced the Great Dorset Steam Fair here is a clip of the 2017 event, this year is the 50th anniversary and will have 500 steam engines in operation, plus beer tents, plus rock and roll bands, plus hog roasts, plus cider stalls, see you there

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#513 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

I was scheduled to attend the Biggar Rally (no steam but many old trucks and 'classic' cars) this coming weekend, but the weather forecast is for rain, so likely I will give it a miss.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#514 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 am

I might try to make it on the Friday, just how bad is the traffic in your experience om15?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#515 Post by om15 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 am

Rain makes it more enjoyable, creates lots of mud for the ambiance. This will be my 20th year at the GDSF and every year has been perfect weather except once, it was pretty challenging getting in and out and very damp around the site.

Woody, if you arrive early it is ok, Friday is a good day, if you aim to be at Salisbury by 0800 you should get a straight run in, the weekends can be pretty bad, particularly leaving on the last day.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#516 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks om15, I’m going to be on my own for a couple of weeks whilst MrsWoody and JuniorWoody are in ZA, so that makes it easier for me :-bd

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#517 Post by Ibbie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 am

Morning folks

More beer supplies gathered in plus other food items.

Mrs IB has gone storming out to the nail bar where she had hers in for a fill and respray yesterday, as one of her finger nails has peeled.

Very hot already and too many tourists about. Furthest I shall be going now today is the local.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#518 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 am

Must be going ga-ga! I'm sure I posted on this thread earlier this morning generally dribbling on about folks ailments with cannulas, fancy pills and other stuff and wondering why we never hear of galloping gut rot, piles and verrucas. Must be the heat!! :-s
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Slasher

#519 Post by Slasher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am

1215L here. Very muggy 39C and 6000 in light dust.

Managed to get back to sleep but woke up about 6am barking and spluttering junk. Went to an all-night chemist who's given me an expectorant for my chest and this anti-sludge stuff for chest and nose.

Feeling like crap so spending the day in bed with the aircon set at 29C. Buggered if I'm going out in that dust in my condition. Maid upstairs called earlier asking what's going on and she brunged me a honey lemon drink FOC. Good woman that one.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#520 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am

Just taken SM to the hairdressers, it's freezing out!

According to guess by the probably very inaccurate outside thermometer on the car it is 18°C
Cynicism improves with age