General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#561 Post by ian16th » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am

Slasher wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am
Jesus theyve changed me last minute to Calbloodycutta! Dep in 45 mins. Still a training flight but I'm stuck in that craphole for 26hrs.
Clean your teeth with either gin or vodka.

Whatever you do, don't use the water!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#562 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am

ian16th wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am
Slasher wrote:
Jesus theyve changed me last minute to Calbloodycutta! Dep in 45 mins. Still a training flight but I'm stuck in that craphole for 26hrs.

Or eat anything washed in it. Did two one month tours of that bloody country. My suitcase was half full of food. The b@stards never got me.

The blasting of the pool pump inlet pipe didn't work. Got a bit of gunge out and we got soaked but it needs summat shoving down there. Problem is I am not sure what with about four 90 deg turns.

Our good friends and previous owners (builders) of the house and boat have just pitched up from SA. Beer time.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#563 Post by limeygal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:32 am

Hello playmates :-h

Sending a drop o' TRABBforce to Siseman, Wodders, and Ibbie's friend. :YMHUG: Hopefully, we will get an update today from Hands and Angels. Hang in there folks. :YMHUG:

Slash-if it's any consolation, which it probably isn't, I have visited India over 100 times, and never got Delhi belly-and I ate local! Did a trip around India with my sister once. She refused to eat local. She bought a bag full of biscuits at Bahrain airport, and lived off those for a few days. Starvation eventually forced her to eat local. She loved it and was mad at herself for the rest of the trip for missing all the nosh I had eaten.

Had a great day yesterday up at the gardens. They had a day of workshops on various gardening subjects. Came home with a few plants-natch. will bbe planting today if the rain holds off.

Octo-keep drinking :YMPARTY:

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#564 Post by 1DC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am

Lodging dog still here, seems we were given the wrong dates for his stay. He goes home tonight ,not that we are bothered he can stay as long as he likes as far as we are concerned. Something has set him off he is having a bark outside..
Ex A, we used to have a tool called a sani snake. It was a long wire with various hooks and drills you could attach to the end. You decided what to put on the end and then attached the other end to your drill and stuck it down the pipe it passed through the blockage and when you reeled it in it pulled all of the gunge out. Who knows you may get one in Bots..
Wifes cousin has a severe case of Tendonitis, apparently very painful and because he has aggravated it will take a long time to fix. Physio will be needed..

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#565 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

I was ok in India, Egypt did for me, disgusting place, consideration for you all forbids me to go into detail.

Just had heavy rain after I cleaned the windows, duties at the allotment calls, three hours fifty two minutes to my first pint of the week, a Firsty Ferret, followed within minutes by a Banks's Best.
Fish salad and Tesco Strong Red for tea.

Capetonian

#566 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

I enjoyed working in, and visiting, India and grew to respect and like the Indians enormously.

Let's just say that Egypt and the Egyptians were the precise opposite, and leave it there. In fact I made a negative comment on another thread about working with the French and how they were the worst of all the nationalities I've worked with. On reflection I think the Gippos deserve that accolade, it's just that I spent a lot more time working with the Frogs, and mercifully only a few weeks with the Gippos. They and their country are the pits.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#567 Post by ian16th » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am
Did two one month tours of that bloody country.
Condolences.

Didn't actually get to India!

While on 214 Sqdn, doing the early IFR/AAR trials. We used the Pak Air Force base Mauripur near Karachi as a base for tankers.

The 1st time, we were there for almost 3 weeks. We took our own M.O. with us and in spite of his valiant efforts, we all got dysentry.
The officers were subjected to the hospitality of the PAF Officers Mess! We erks, including a couple of NCO aircrew, were put into the North Western Hotel in Karachi. A Victorian ediface, a miniture copy of a UK rail terminus hotel.

It was that trip that I learn't to clean my teeth with gin. That we had bought duty free in Aden.

For my sins, I visited Mauripur a further 5 times, but 2 of those were just night stops.
Cynicism improves with age

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#568 Post by Wodrick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Greetings,
Not normal, keep on drifting into low cloud, viz poor.

No Doc for a week, for further problem go to Walk In Centre.
Last year
Brollys1_800x449.jpg
Brollys1_800x449.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 493 times
This year to celebrate Spain winning the World Cup
Brollys2_800x449.jpg
Brollys2_800x449.jpg (75.49 KiB) Viewed 493 times
And this is what they went for, Wod is not a fan and had a lump of cow.
Paella_800x449.jpg
Paella_800x449.jpg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 493 times
AUH - CCU is a long way in a minibus

Think *Angels* is busy with Mrs Angels and *HF* might have further complications. Just theory.

Nil Further.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#569 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Wodrick, so you'll be getting yourself down to the walk-in centre pronto, then??? Please.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#570 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Cape I will meet you half way on Egypt. Cairo is a filthy tip and like India most of the locals in situ are disgusting but get them out of their country and they are fine. Egypt is a fascinating country with it's archaeology but would just like to visit it with no locals anywhere near me

Our personal chef on Amorgos is Egyptian as are a few of the hotel owner's slaves, and the baker. They are good guys.

For the record food poisoning three times. Cairo from a flat bottle of beer, my stupid fault. Gabarone from a processed fish stick at a Royal din dins. A luxury camp here in the Delta from tomato juice. Last was an epic evacuation to Johannesburg and 5 days in an acute dependency unit wired up, drugged up and drips all over the place. My nursie looked after me. The nursing staff was one to two patients but couldn't cope with the resident escapee. Lost count of how many tunnels I dug dragging wires and drip stands behind me. Hate hospitals. :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#571 Post by Smeagol » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm

So we are on to the subject of 'Delhi Belly, Montezuma's Revenge, food poisoning or just generally filthy locations.

Only really got a bad case a few years ago in Tunisia, was there for a week and spent the last day and a half in my hotel room as it was not safe to venture further. I was there with a view to becoming the Country Manager for my company but needless to say I did not take up the role. Thought Tunis was a complete sh1thole (and I have lived in some so I should know eg Kuwait).
We hates Bagginses!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#572 Post by ricardian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

izod tester wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:50 am
In the 90s I had severe back problems to the extent that I could not even walk (totter) for 2 days. Treatment was lots of painkillers and physio. I had a book recommended to me which I found very useful as have several friends who have borrowed it before buying their own copy. “Treat you own back” by Robin McKenzie may help you.
About 30 years ago the late Mrs R had bad back problems, the result of being an Army PTI in her younger days. Her GP offered painkillers or an operation with a 50/50 chance of success and which might end up with her in a wheelchair. She took the painkillers but a friend advised a visit to an osteopath who was the local rugby club's official massuer and had a good reputation in the area. We were both sceptical about this but by then Mrs R was walking using two walking sticks so an appointment was made and a taxi took Mrs R to the osteopath's "office" which was a council house in a nearby estate. A very pleasant older chap introduced himself and had Mrs R remove her blouse - he said don't be embarrassed, I only have one eye and that's got a cataract in it. He spent over an hour on Mrs R's back, shoulders and neck. Afterwards Mrs R got dressed and found that she could sit up straight, stand up straight and walk without pain. She made another appointment in a week's time and then caught the bus home. One more session was all that was required and Mrs R never looked back. If you find a good osteopath, don't let them go!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#573 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Feckin tourists.
Just attempted to go down the local for a couple. Returned home as no parking places to be had, not even on yellow lines or the roundabout.

Slash.

Think I have found reason for mispillings....wireless keyboard battery is on it's way out. It misses letters out when it is so aflicted. I'll change it manana.

Am about to deplete the Becks stock.

Slasher

#574 Post by Slasher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am
Slasher wrote:

Yep all advice taken. Am on the bus going to the pub. God this place looks and smells awful even in the dark!

The captain I am training this trip seems to have some issues with PIC awareness, cockpit management and systems knowledge. His flying is basically ok but only barely for command standard. Looks like a long morning tomorrow with him while I try to sort out his sh!t. This is his 20th line training flight.

Ibbie don't sweat it. I've been Grolsch'd by Ex-A but not Becks'd or breakers'd. The ham and the cheese I figured out meself. ;)))

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#575 Post by handsfree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Update time.
My nose held out until late Thursday night then gave forth once more.
Tried for an hour to stop it but no chance. Back to A&E where the doctor was extremely pleased
to see us again. After an hour of attempted local therapy involving more cautery and getting nowhere he gave up and
inserted an anterior nasal pack which was about the most unpleasant thing I think I've ever had done to me.
Admitted to the ward (307) and there I stayed until this afternoon. On removal of the pack my nose gushed again but
more silver nitrate was applied and it stopped. Another pack was inserted (soluble type) and I was sent on my way.
Now it's a waiting game. Will it or won't it ?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#576 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Fingers crossed Hf, are you still on the "no booze" regime, maybe that is what caused your nosebleed?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#577 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Bloody hell HF. Sorry, seriously, hope it is OK tomorrow.

For those who don't venture down so far worth checking the members only area. Our time is limited.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#578 Post by Magnus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Just finished a lovely lunch with MrsP and our close friends. Nicoise salad and a small steak. MrsP, in anticipation of tomorrow's getting-older day, wrecked a half bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, followed by a couple of glasses of the same in the pub at the corner. We then hit George Street so she could buy her present. (Top, shoes, 2 books, and I have some concert tickets to shove in with her card). Pleasant day. Or, perhaps, present day (with apologies to any japanese readers).

Obligatory aviation: I didn't notice any aircraft over Edinburgh this arvo, but I think there's a tattoo flypast in an hour or so.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#579 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 pm

A couple of months ago Senior Management developed a bad cough which only occurred in the evenings and at night. After a couple of weeks it had not got better so she went to the doctor who examined her and took blood samples which later came back negative. He couldn’t identify anything specific but noted that the SpO2 – oxygen levels in the blood - were low. After a couple more weeks the cough disappeared, only to return with a vengeance last weekend and by Monday evening she was coughing continually and was in considerable pain.

A further visit to the doctor was made on Tuesday when she was examined by one of our regular doctors and also by a doctor new to the practice who was getting up to speed with the work.

It’s not good when one says to the other after listening to SM’s chest “hmm, that’s an odd noise – I’ve never heard anything like that before” and the other agrees. :-o

We were dispatched to Blackpool Victoria Hospital for the Medics to take further action and spent six and three quarter hours in A&E as there were no beds available anywhere else, but they passed the time taking blood samples and X-Rays. After spending a night in the Acute Medical Department they decided that the problem was not heart failure (their words, not mine) but a respiratory one #:-S, so she was despatched to the appropriate ward where she has been for a couple of days having huge quantities of pills shovelled into her. I think they still haven’t got much idea of what was wrong, but she’s obviously getting better. o:-)

This morning the Consultant honoured everyone with his presence. He announced that SM could go home so she got dressed and sorted and one of the nurses started filling out the discharge papers. About 45 minutes later he decided that he needed another scan done, and, even asking for it as ‘urgent’, means that it will ‘probably’ be done over the weekend so that may delay her discharge until at least Monday.

She, along with all the nursing staff on the ward were not impressed. X(

When we were in A&E we were parked in a cubicle off a corridor. On the wall of the corridor there was a notice which I thought could have been better placed somewhere else- as SM said It’s not really what you have to sit staring at when you have just been admitted and are not feeling at all well. :-?
WP_20180807_001S.jpg
WP_20180807_001S.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 360 times
GG

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#580 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Unfortunately been there, got the T shirt several times, when M-I-L was alive and Blackpool Vic, GG.

The level of incompetence there never failed to amaze us.

Hope Mrs GG gets out on Monday.

HF, just get better soonest, please!