The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#601 Post by Octopussy2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I am just loving Slasher's advice for staying out of trouble in the ME, but the final point is genius: I am adopting it as my personal motto from now on and may have a sign made in my office for the traders to see every time they come in, in the hope that it registers subliminally in their primitive brains: "Don't do anything really dumb"

Supermarket shop done, including MAXIMUM CAUSE OF STRESS - stuff for dreaded packed lunches all next week. Followed by managing not to strangle either mother or Octokitten2 in IKEA (very close call as to who was in most danger). Some comfort derived from Octokitten1, who is of the female persuasion and thus more amenable to the, ahem, delights of IKEA (we did manage not to buy any tealights or other candles, which deserves a pat on the back, I feel - but we did succumb to some cute jars - no idea what we will put in them - the ladies here will understand).

Then a joyous 10 mins or so thinking the car had been stolen before figuring out we were looking for it on the wrong level of the carpark... =))

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#602 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Good afternoon folks! :-h

Spent a few days with the cousinry including the ones from Melbourne, Oz not Derbys. Great to see them again for what may be their final trip 'home'' owing to medical probs. Cuz has had spinal and cancer ops and her OH, like hf, has had chronic nose bleeds amongst other issues. As a result, he has a unique somewhat unnerving way of sneezing to avoid a bloodbath. Oops, sorry that should be in the health thread. Anyhow, during a discussion re UK based cousins' potential OZ road trip, those who know advised avoiding Darwin because 'it's a complete sh1thole'.

Spent yesterday at Welbeck Abbey nr Worksop, Notts. Managed to get on one of the rare tours around the Abbey itself. Two of our party had been Army students there back in the day. Both said, after 30 years, they were apprehensive when we entered what had been the Head's study. I can thoroughly recommend the caff and farm shop.

Good news is that a junior cuz podded on Wednesday - another great great nephew for my Dad. Apparently, the currently unnamed babe looks exactly like his paternal grandfather: bald as a coot. :D

Octo, know what you mean with the tealights etc. Ditto losing the car. On a works outing to HMP Durham I parked my wheels in the Prince Bishops multi-storey (them PBs have an awful lot of motors). On return, found car had been nicked. Yep, on right level (written on ticket) and there was the red BMW I remembered at end of line. Let's go up another level and look said colleague. No luck. Let's go to bottom floor said I. Nope. At that point I laughed. What's so funny asked my oppo. Me: you do realise the guys in the parking office are pissing themselves watching on CCTV two women looking for their car. Found it on the level we first looked at. :-w

Must go and cut the privet hedge. Next door's gardener did an heroic job on the hawthorn at the front. ^:)^

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#603 Post by Magnus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm

My last visit to Ikea was my last EVER visit to Ikea. Even MrsP has accepted that.

Lil bro just posted that he's en route from EDI to Newark, and I recall that he's off to Tennessee. I should have ordered a banjo.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#604 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 pm

With the imminent closure of this forum like many who have e-mailed or sent a PM I have lost all enthusiasm. This may be my last post. Nice day. Chopper pilots did a great pass over our estate this morning. Having a few farewell beers with them this evening. They leave this week. Hippos are back again but that is probably the last report you will receive through this forum from Botswana or indeed Amorgos and my seat there. Let us all keep in contact through e-mail. We will not be defeated. We will stick together. Many friendships have been formed here. Thank you for this Alison and best wishes for your retirement.

Botswana out. :-h
Attachments
UFO.jpg
UFO.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 441 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#605 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Think someone was forcing a double post there so it wasn't my last. Most odd. Finger trouble again.
Attachments
UFO.jpg
UFO.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 432 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#606 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Greetings,
Normal 32 with a slight breeze. They am threatening rain on Thursday 25%.

Greeted by the whine of a chainsaw at 08.00 this morning, The obnoxious Dutch to whom we no speak, was having his circa 60' eucalyptus eradicated.
It's taken 7 hours but there it was gone.

And I must get this in :
100.JPG
100.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 426 times
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#607 Post by CremeEgg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Thank you to Alison - and thanks to everyone who provided a great forum. Where to go now?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#608 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 pm

And to add to Ex-Ascots last post I also want to thank everyone for their company on this forum. :YMHUG: And especially Alison for all her hard work over the last three years. :YMAPPLAUSE:

On a lighter note I hope we will all keep in contact. And so it is a case of "So Long and thanks for all the fish " :-h
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#609 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 pm

I knew hoarding would pay off! I've just used a piece of stair handrail left over from the house I built up here 34 years ago in 1984 to repair part of my summerhouse. I've lived too long in these parts - Mrs C16 swears that although I'm English I've turned into a closet Aberdonian.

...and as far as I'm concerned regarding this forum, it's not over until it's over.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#610 Post by probes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Ditto.
Octopussy2 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm
I am just loving Slasher's advice for staying out of trouble in the ME, but the final point is genius: I am adopting it as my personal motto from now on and may have a sign made in my office for the traders to see every time they come in, in the hope that it registers subliminally in their primitive brains: "Don't do anything really dumb"
- but, the real hard thing then is to figure out what is really dumb? :-?

edited: to add some glow for fast reading (see Reading Reinvented)

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#611 Post by limeygal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Just stopped by to say cheerio. This too will be my last post. Thank you for letting me share your journey, if only for a short while. Those who care, can pm me for my e-mail. Hope you do. I will check my pms for a few more days. Wishing you all the best of everything. :YMHUG:

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#612 Post by om15 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Ex A (s) and LG, cheerio for a while, keep in touch, I'll have a look round and see if anyone else will have us!
I think it is time to go too, so bye all, Alison thank you for your hard work in creating this place, and agree with Ex A, enjoy your retirement.

best Tim

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#613 Post by Ibbie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Buddy hot and humid again.
I feel a pint coming on. Think I'll wander down the local and see if I can park tonight.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#614 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:59 pm

That's the privet done for another year. #:-S Neighbour said he cut his side a month ago and now it needs doing again. Ah, that's why I leave it as late as possible so I don't have to do it twice a year. Still plenty to do elsewhere. Time to put feet up, have a cuppa and a catch up read.

Wodders, 100 not out! :D

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#615 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Yep a good year for sun.

One has started.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#616 Post by Ibbie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:09 pm

... and we are not done yet!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#617 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:11 pm

I can stop

reddo
Capt
Capt

#618 Post by reddo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm a tad late to the party. I gather AlisonCC is bailing? Hard work running a forum.

Regarding Broome and the Kimberley. If it's not the Wet Season and you have no intention in going off bitumen, then a standard car is fine. I drove a Ford Laser (or Mazda 323) around the Kimberley and the Territory back in 1994. I drove to Cairns from Kununurra and then Sydney in 1995. The Savannah is interesting in its own way. You can see so far. I remember watching a string of dust devils do their thing. I also saw a brilliant example of a microburst too. Awesome stuff. Just remember to carry a decent container of fuel in case the petrol station is out and definitely carry extra water. (I also carried oil, top and bottom radiator hoses and fanbelts).

Work has been flat out. Why would any one want to go to the Greek isles in August is beyond me. Bloody hot, super crowded and windy as ****.

Slasher

#619 Post by Slasher » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:40 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 am
I read both of the books by his colleague Lord Russell, The Scourge of the Swastika and The Knights of Bushido, they should be compulsory reading at all UK schools.
Me too Ian. I have both books back in Thailand. They should be compulsory reading in any school, particularly Japan in the case of TKoB.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#620 Post by Magnus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Aww, stuffit. If anyone cares, try magnus_paterson@blueyonder.co.uk if you fancy blowing the froth off a beer in Edinburgh sometime.