The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7201 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:05 am

Morning folks. Yes indeed Capt our little corner table is right by the kitchen and the chef serves us personally along with little extras. It will quieten down next week until July. In fact not too bad today. A group left this morning.

Cloudy and cool for our morning walk but I think that it will clear up. After 15 years of living here and walking in the mountains you get pretty good at forecasting.

Flying hours - I would be surprised if The Chief of the Air Staff has 3,000. Once they stick you behind a desk that is it. I was lucky being in charge of tasking, my name kept appearing on the ops boards, funny that. Trouble was after a night flight back across the pond it was straight into the office. Not sure how many hours I have as I got so pissed off with airline flying I just flew the bloody thing but didn't bother logging it. Sure I didn't make 10,000 though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7202 Post by Ibbie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 am

Good morning.

The sun is back on the Costa. Clear blue and cloudless sky today. Temperature is on the up as well.

Have a meeting with the Welsh Beer Monster at 11.30 in today's schedule.

Just realised that it is FRIDAY!

Slasher

#7203 Post by Slasher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:08 am

Excellent sah. Dine well this evening! :)

Sim has broken down. Been an hour now and I'm hoping I'll be let out early.

Of the 2 cadets, one of 'em was chomping at the bit to be the first to do a V1 cut. Our overconfident ace got airborne...and at 50ft there was a prompt roll to the left and we went in! =))

His mate got quite a fright as he hadn't experienced a full-on sim prang up till now.

From the data feed he started trimming the wrong way and then took his foot off the rudder. Silly nong.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7204 Post by Wodrick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 am

Morning all,
Same on the other side of the bay, and a guess for the week probability of rain 0%, temp creeping up into the low 20s.
Preoccupied with a menu for the next few days.
and the need for a puppy deterrent barrier to stop one of the escape routes.

We have a trough alongside the pool which was nicely planted, H has been in it in excavation mode, it is now not planted.
Little Bastard.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7205 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 am

Actually Capt one is chef this evening. Baked potatoes in wood burning stove at home and beans cooked on top. Also at home tomorrow night to avoid the mega party.

If you croak in the night here they announce it by funeral bells at dawn and everyone pitches up at the church. Don't croak on Good Friday. The funeral bells have been going all morning for JC.

Why do they call it 'Good Friday? Not very good for someone swinging on a cross singing 'look on the bright side of life'. Here it is 'Big Friday.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#7206 Post by Slasher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 am

You can cook sah? Crickey moses you must've learnt it through KP duty in the Raff. I can't even boil water without burning it. I can cut a grapefruit in half however and stick a cherry in the middle when the wife can't find any Waldorfs.

Dunno why it's called Good Friday either. Come to think of it if there's a Second Coming I don't think JC will want to be reminded of it by seeing any crucifixes hanging off churches and necklaces.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7207 Post by OFSO » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 am

On the train to Weybridge to (once again) look at houses for sale. Weather holding off so far but dire warnings for vicious low coming in this evening proceeded by thunderboomers. Wearing my combat gear for tenant-occupied houses plus a tie for property owners.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7208 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 am

Slasher wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:03 am
You can cook sah? Crickey moses you must've learnt it through KP duty in the Raff. I can't even boil water without burning it. I can cut a grapefruit in half however and stick a cherry in the middle when the wife can't find any Waldorfs.

Dunno why it's called Good Friday either. Come to think of it if there's a Second Coming I don't think JC will want to be reminded of it by seeing any crucifixes hanging off churches and necklaces.
Taught at a very early age by mother. No cooking in the Royal Air Force had chappies to do that apart from survival excercises when we not allowed to take a chef, all dam uncivilised don't you know.

My weather forecast was spot on. Blazing sunshine now. Down to just two layers of clothing. Cancel that, pully now off. Brave or wot.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7209 Post by handsfree » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am

Sorry Ibbie, didn't realise it was Friday until you announced it above.

Been a busy week of medical appointments for myself and now the eldest daughter has added to the list.
She and her husband have half a dozen breeding Highland Coos. While attending to one of them calving on Tuesday,
mum to be decided that a midwife wasn't needed and kicked ten bells out of her. Fairly major trauma damage:

Extensive lower lip laceration
Maxillary plate fracture with loss of teeth on both sides (break to upper jaw with tooth loss)
Left greater tuberosity fracture with a likely rotator cuff tear (broken shoulder with muscle damage)
T1 transverse process fracture ( break to one of the wings of one of the spinal bone in the upper back)
Extensive bruising to lower half of body.

Believe it or not she is in quite good spirits and takes heart from the fact that it didn't kill her.
Mother and calf are both well.

Capetonian

#7210 Post by Capetonian » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:33 am

Always thought cows should be given a wide berth.

Hope your daughter will recover quickly. That sounds like a nasty set of injuries.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#7211 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, hf, best wishes for a swift recovery. She is obviously a trooper if she's taking that in her stride! Sounds horrid. Glad the birth went well in other respects though...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7212 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am

Bloody hell HF, best wishes from Amorgos to your daughter for a
rapid recovery. Don't like cows, been chased a few times when walking the dog. Prefer hippos but suggest that your daughter doesn't try to assist one of those with a birth. May get her feet wet.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7213 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 am

A complete light dusting of snow, freezing and overcast - tucking into bacon sarnies and strong coffee for breakfast. However, looks like it may be olives & red wine on the patio for supper. The dead giveaway for consistently warmer weather is that they've started fixing the roads, and they really need it this year. I busted a rear spring on the truck a couple of days ago in some unavoidable pothole or other. They call them potholes, but they must have been thinking of the pots the cartoonists boil missionaries in. However, fixing it cost only $65, replacement spring, labour and taxes in. One of the advantages of living just down the road from the largest car wreckers on the Island. And I got a courtesy car for the hour and a half it took him to do the work. It was a no plates, every single warning light on the dash lit, interesting grinding noises courtesy car, but it got me home for breakfast and back. I think every Islander, and I know the Newfies do too, regards suspension damage as routine as filling up with gas. It's pretty much unavoidable, and you just hope it's not very expensive. That said, at least we have roads, unlike some in New Brunswick where their roads are underwater or washed away at present. It's a never-ending battle against the elements.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7214 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 am

HF, pass my wish for quick recovery to your daughter. The animals look pretty severe.

Ex-A I thing the local term is Big Friday although the Big is better translated as Holly Friday. Given your local popularity you should run for the local elections next month.

Finally able to sleep longer. I did not hear the mobile alarm the other day but it was quite audible, this morning. Fortunately I switched it off and I went back to sleep.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7215 Post by ian16th » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 am

HF a rapid recovery for your daughter.

No 1 grandson, has just done his 1st Anzac Day Parade.

He's the one in a blue shirt!
Anzac 2019.jpg
Anzac 2019.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7216 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 am

Yes RiS correct of course but just doing literal translation. Got the identification of the big chief visiting priest completely wrong. He is standing next to me now. He is from Mount Athos where of course HRH PC goes for meditation. We are short of doctors here, like we have one. This priest is a doctor so we have two for Paska.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#7217 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am

Best wishes to your daughter, HF, people who deal with animals of that size for a living have my respect. ^:)^

AGM of our Rifle Club last night - took all of 20 minutes. I wasn't fully paying attention to the one letter being read out in the correspondence section until I suddenly realised it was proposing me for life membership having survived 25 years or more on the Committee including opening the Club three nights a week and about 12 years as Match Secretary :-o . Completely unexpected, no-one objected (probably because they thought they might be recruited to take my place if they did [-X ).

Leaving the Club and retiring to the pub, we were greeted by this rather spectacular sight of a couple of Cu-nims in the sunset. There was a third off to the left similarly lit, but only a bit was visible from where I was standing in the pub car park.
Sunset20192504S.jpg
Even better, the pub wasn't filled with football supporters screaming at the TVs so we could hold a reasonably audible conversation.

Went to the swimming pool this morning to flounder up and down the lanes for a while only to find out that Friday has now joined Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as being reserved for schools from 8:30 or 9:00 to after 12:00. Most of the rest of the time the lanes they put out are occupied by swimming classes, aqua aerobics or zumba (what?) so unless you want to go before 8:30am or in the evening you can't. I don't think I'll be renewing my annual pass (at about £200). Might write a snottogram to the local paper, though. X(

GG

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#7218 Post by limeygal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:37 am

Morning peeps. Wrote quite a lengthy post the other day and it vanished from my screen. I didn't press anything honest. Couldn't be arsed to retype it all.

Sorry to hear about your daughter HF. A drop of TRABB force coming her way :YMHUG:

RIS-hope you are now on the mend :YMHUG:

Kitchen cabinets are finished. It all looks wonderful. What a difference. Now waiting to get the walls painted. I will post a happy snap once it is all done.

We also have rats under our house. One got in the attic and fell through an a/c vent in the ceiling. This came as quite a surprise to me and the blind cat sitting on my lap. I shot to my feet, jettisoning cat. She had no idea what was going on and was thrashing around. I managed to get the thing out the front door with the cunning use of a broom. Much to the amusement of my neighbour across the street. He was in his garden and heard me yell "and don't come back." He saw the rat strolling up our driveway. Bastard (the rat not my neighbour :| ) Rat man (sorry-nuisance wildlife operative) is in the process of plugging up holes and rat proofing our gaff.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7219 Post by Wodrick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:23 pm

*HF*
Sounds nasty and like there will be cosmetic implications so I hope the recovery goes well.

We have rats too *LG* mostly self exterminating as they don't swim well and often get in the pool.
Ours are not the filth that you get in the UK but fruit rats which is strange as we don't have much fruit yet.

Look forward to seeing the kitchen.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7220 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 pm

LG thanks for the wishes - the mend is around the corner but not seen yet. The cough is decreasing though.

I see there is a considerable number of ants that need to be eliminated in my place.
GG do write the letter.