The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7421 Post by Ibbie » Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 am

MANCASTER WRONGWAY T2.is where she's gone on a number 2 757, Wodrick

Then a Northern Railway crate, if they are running, to the Fylde.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#7422 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Hope all is well 4master, hopefully see you back soon.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7423 Post by ian16th » Fri May 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Octopussy2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 pm
Hope all is well 4master, hopefully see you back soon.
+1
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7424 Post by OFSO » Fri May 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Armed with an excellent book on Victorian London that Mrs OFSO has given me, I set off this morning for Wapping. The Overground runs under the Thames in two brick-lined tunnels built for pedestrian use in 1843 by Marc Brunel, father of the more famous Brunel. Still in use, and still watertight, although seven thousand litres are pumped out daily due to the high water table each side. The tunnel was the first to use an excavation shield with brick lining placed behind it every 4", the width of a London brick, with the shield being moved forward by screw jacks. At Rotherhide is the Brunel museum and the curator takes groups down into the original caisson (Grade One Listed) which to put it mildly is An Experience. Highly recommended for a visit. Then return to Wapping by the Overground through the parallel tunnel, and have lunch in the Town of Ramsgate pub a few hundred yards to the west of the station. Sit on the high terrace overlooking the river eating steak and kidney pud and supping Guinness. Bliss !

Capetonian

#7425 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Having been to Faro Airport twice in the last week I can see why Ex-Ascot got fed up with carting sweaty mindless oafs from Kettering and Coventry in their cloth caps and their cardigans and their transistor radios and their Sunday Mirrors
Monday wasn't too bad, just saw one obese tattooed sweating piece of lowlife walking bare-chested around the restaurant area.

This morning there were dozens of them, shouting, chanting, yelling, swilling beer, pushing people out of the way. Needless to say most of them heading towards the Ryanair (Luton) and Jet2 (Manchester) checkin counters.

From flying the Monarch to flying for Monarch ...... that really is going from one end of the evolutionary scale to the other.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7426 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 03, 2019 3:04 pm

OFSO, just give me open spaces, mountains on a remote island in Greece or the bush in deepest Africa. Can't stand built up areas, traffic and people especially frogs.

Raki time. Not a tourist in sight. Just two good local friends of ours here. Villagers passing by exchanging greetings. Church bells going. No hippos though.

Sorry Cape, posts crossed. As you say but to be honest I had little to do with the freight. Some pilots went down the back and tried to be sociable. Or pose in gold braid for the Essex girls, I didn't.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#7427 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:44 pm

OFSO, I used to live in Wapping, and then Limehouse (Narrow St) and I loved it. I'd just come back from living in Hong Kong and in comparison, it felt uncrowded and light (because of the open space created by the river). We used to drink in the Town of Ramsgate, and the old incarnation of what is now Gordon Ramsey's "The Narrow" (if he still has it) which was then called the Barley Mow, and avoid the Prospect, unless we felt like watching the tourists (sometimes amusing). There's another Wapping pub as well but the name escapes me.

I think it's a great part of town - walks along the river, relatively tranquil, and then down in Canary Wharf (again a nice walk) you have pretty much all the shops you need (including Waitrose/John Lewis) and great restaurants. If I were to live in London again, that's probably where I would chose.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7428 Post by OFSO » Fri May 03, 2019 6:34 pm

The Turks Head is the pub where condemned prisoners were taken for their last drink before heading to Execution Dock, which is where the Thames River Police HQ is now.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7429 Post by OFSO » Fri May 03, 2019 6:40 pm

There was a frog couple on the No 73 this evening when I popped into town to get some euros, what with the pound rising in value. Young, he with case, she with baby in pushcart, lacking all basic skills like pushing a baby carriage onto bus, stowing said carriage in place provided, blocking the door, blocking the aisle, communications, pushing stop button, getting ready to disembark. Les wankers totale...

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7430 Post by Karearea » Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm

First day of duck-shooting season here, still pre-dawn but intermittent firing has been heard since fifteen minutes ago.
Clear sky, ducks high.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7431 Post by ian16th » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Octopussy2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:44 pm
OFSO, I used to live in Wapping, and then Limehouse (Narrow St) and I loved it. I'd just come back from living in Hong Kong and in comparison, it felt uncrowded and light (because of the open space created by the river). We used to drink in the Town of Ramsgate, and the old incarnation of what is now Gordon Ramsey's "The Narrow" (if he still has it) which was then called the Barley Mow, and avoid the Prospect, unless we felt like watching the tourists (sometimes amusing). There's another Wapping pub as well but the name escapes me.

I think it's a great part of town - walks along the river, relatively tranquil, and then down in Canary Wharf (again a nice walk) you have pretty much all the shops you need (including Waitrose/John Lewis) and great restaurants. If I were to live in London again, that's probably where I would chose.
If by 'The Prospect', you mean The Prospect of Whitby, do you have any idea how that pub got its name?

As a native of N. Yorkshire, from not far from Whitby, it has puzzled me.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7432 Post by Magnus » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Spent my 67th buffday last week in a hospital bed, having treated myself to the early present of a heart attack the day before. Damn fool thing to do. A horrible staph infection in my foot put a bit too much stress on a heart already working a bit too hard. Home as of last night, and I have rather an extensive read-in to tackle. Bear with me.

Sympathetic as always, MrsP tonight opened a bottle of Gavi di Gavi to wash down the salmon; her portion at least. Sigh. I'm off alcohol until I finish my course of IV antibiotics on Monday. Look out, wine rack.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7433 Post by Woody » Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Trabbforce out to Magnus, take care young man :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7434 Post by ian16th » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Woody wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 pm
Trabbforce out to Magnus, take care young man :-bd
+1

Sick parade is getting too well attended these days.
Must take care.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7435 Post by Karearea » Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Be well, Magnus, take care of self, hey? Best wishes from acrorst the miles.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7436 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm
If by 'The Prospect', you mean The Prospect of Whitby, do you have any idea how that pub got its name?

From Wiki:-
Following a fire in the early 19th century, the tavern was rebuilt and renamed The Prospect of Whitby, after a Tyne collier that used to berth next to the pub. The ship took sea coal from Newcastle upon Tyne to London.
Used to visit the Prospect in the 1960s - in the days when you could drive down from Hertfordshire and park anywhere in Central London such as behind Trafalgar Square or Piccadilly Circus.
I regularly visited Kent, driving down the A5 , Park Lane and across Vauxhall Bridge and A20.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#7437 Post by limeygal » Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Major dose of TRABBforce to Magnus. Look after yourself :YMHUG:

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7438 Post by ian16th » Fri May 03, 2019 9:10 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm
ian16th wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm

From Wiki:-
Following a fire in the early 19th century, the tavern was rebuilt and renamed The Prospect of Whitby, after a Tyne collier that used to berth next to the pub. The ship took sea coal from Newcastle upon Tyne to London.
Thanks.

Never been to the pub, but saw it from a floating devices, doing the tourist thing from Tower Bridge to the Cutty Sark.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7439 Post by OFSO » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Very nasty things, infections, remember being told dental bacteria can bring on heart attacks. Look after yourself, Magnus. Can't imagine a tiny drop of malt would hurt, but avoid Joghurt/Yoghurt as it blocks antibiotics.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7440 Post by Wodrick » Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Best wishes *Magnus* here's to a speedy recovery.............
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash