The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7461 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm

My wishes to Magnus and his SM. Cold indeed here but I managed to complete the weekly grocery shopping. Ex-A hang on the weather is improving.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#7462 Post by Octopussy2 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Blimey, Magnus, don't do that again. Hope you're back on the pop shortly.

Thanks for the info on the Prospect G-TPN. I knew it was named after a ship but didn't have the details.

It's freezing here. I am having a quiet day at home, under the weather and on antibiotics, which are making me feel rough, quite apart from the effects of the original illness...

The children are being sweet and Octokitten1 has retreated into the kitchen to make chocolate chip and oat cookies, from a recipe she learned in cuisine at school - "I'm making them and you're not to help". Cue 2 mins later: "Muuuuum, what does "tamiser la farine" mean?" "Can you show me how to put the oven on?" "What does chemiser mean?" At least she is now tackling the washing up by hand without complaint (the dishwasher having broken AGAIN).

I hope I'm feeling better tomorrow, Octokitten2 needs to be dropped off for his football tournament at 0800 tomorrow and I need to do my final proper training run for next week's 10k...…..I am not a very good patient.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#7463 Post by Groundgripper » Sat May 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Blimey - you take 24 hours off to do other things like jet wash the carport roof and cut the grass and WWIII breaks out on one thread due to an over-oiled Oz pilot with a boob fetish and our correspondent from Scotland's capital city decides to try out the cardiac unit at the local hospital!
I had a foot infection some years ago that landed me in Blackpool Victoria Hospital with cellulitis twice in 6 months - I seem to remember that the nurses scared the living daylights out of SM with some comments when we arrived and I was very quickly put on oxygen and an IV drip. :-o
Nothing as serious as your's, though, Magnus, hope you make a full recovery soon.

Apart from that, very little to report - potting up some hostas this morning and subsequently decided that canary yellow trousers were not the best thing to wear when carting sacks of compost around the garden. #-o Never mind - they'll wash OK.

GG

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7464 Post by OFSO » Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Just had a few flakes of snow in Islington London. Between bouts of intense sunshine...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7465 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 pm
Just had a few flakes of snow in Islington London. Between bouts of intense sunshine...
It is so cold here expecting snow any time. An inside raki. Definitely not walking home. Dinner table reserved. The cats at the raki pub have taken to the owner's bed under the duvet.

Think we may have an etiquette problem. We are sitting at seats inside which may belong to other local folk who are crowding us. When we leave everyone will move around to their own seats. Probably their winter seats which of course we no longer have here. We know everyone on the forum thinks that this is all a big joke but it is dead serious here.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7466 Post by OFSO » Sat May 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Like sitting in Stammtisch seats in Germany/Austria, or the Seats of Wisdom in Catalunia. The former are usually marked with a sign. In Spain not, you have to watch out for a glare....

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#7467 Post by limeygal » Sat May 04, 2019 5:06 pm

A little something for the sickies and those suffering Arctic conditions. A couple of pics of my side patio and garden gate-both covered in fragrant confederate jasmine. Wish you could smell it-it's wonderful
Confederate Jasmine.jpg
Garden Gate.jpg

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7468 Post by om15 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Looks nice LG, you have a kind climate for the plants, things are starting to happen here, slowly, frost advised for tonight.
I have a wisteria, two actually, climbing up the front of my house, that was also beautifully scented this morning, hoping for weather improvement to bring on the rest, planted a new rose bed in the autumn, so hoping for some growth there.

Just had take away Chinese, it was bright red and I can't stop sneezing.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7469 Post by Wodrick » Sat May 04, 2019 6:14 pm

Looks fine *LG* our Jasmine, which has achieved smell status, was destined to go up and over like yours,
So far it is a 3 foot twig.
It's like our Lemon which is 9 years old and has yet to fruit.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

reddo
Capt
Capt

#7470 Post by reddo » Sat May 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Trab force to those who need it.

Now on a week's holiday. :)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7471 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Think we may have an etiquette problem. We are sitting at seats inside which may belong to other local folk who are crowding us. When we leave everyone will move around to their own seats. Probably their winter seats which of course we no longer have here. We know everyone on the forum thinks that this is all a big joke but it is dead serious here.
Not at all. Try a tour bus for a simple there and back trip. Then you know you're in the wrong.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7472 Post by jimtherev » Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Like one or two others rahnd ere one is on a gardening spate. Watering is always boring, I think, and Mrs Jim tends to choose stuff that needs constant attention in this respect. Back in Norf Lundin I had build, over the years, an elaborate drip-watering system, driven by pumps and clocks and things there and here, using water from the bath/shower, and fertilised by Jim chucking in half a jamjar full of stuff when he remembered. And well it worked; it could have been used as a Miracle-gro advertisement.

Nearly twenty years on however, one cannot be bothered, but have gone half the way this year: today fixed a new outside tap which will be connected to a timer and commercially built system of tees and dribblers. Will possibly report on its success or lack of it in due course.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7473 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat May 04, 2019 10:42 pm

I am installing an outside tap also this year, withe same intention, but it will have to wait for next year to be put to use as I have so much on. Would appreciate any advice you've got on equipment, timing plan, etc, Jim, if you care to PM me, or stick it on allotments.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7474 Post by Ibbie » Sun May 05, 2019 6:49 am

Installed an outside tap on mi roof terrace a couple of weeks back.

Good morning, Lovely day here. Temperature should get into the mid 20s.

Just finishing breakfast, then off for a walk with Ed on the paseo.

Mrs IB paid Fleetwood Freeport a visit yesterday.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7475 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun May 05, 2019 6:51 am

Morning folks. Wodders our lemons are doing well in Bots it is just the oranges which will not produce. And yes our Jasmin is not doing well.

As everyone knows we have a large irrigation system down south. That is on a timer called Joseph. He starts the pump 07.30 three times a week.

Cold wet and very windy here. Plant pots and chairs all over the place. Had to turn back on our morning walk.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7476 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:42 pm
I am installing an outside tap also this year, withe same intention, but it will have to wait for next year to be put to use as I have so much on. Would appreciate any advice you've got on equipment, timing plan, etc, Jim, if you care to PM me, or stick it on allotments.
We have two primary manufactures, Gardena and Hozelock. There are similar but one is bare mm different from the other. Best advice is see which manufacturer is prominent in your area.

Also, given your weather, you need to consider the various drippers etc can be damaged by Ice. Drippers aren't bad but sprayers are vulnerable. I would remove the expensive bits come Autumn.

Timing change throughout the season with more in the heat.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7477 Post by Woody » Sun May 05, 2019 7:08 am

Morning all, lovely bright morning here in the Royal Borough, where apparently there’s people camping outside the Castle, must be fun as it’s 5C❄️ at 0800, was warmer Christmas Day.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7478 Post by OFSO » Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 am

Blindingly sunny here in London after a few flakes of the white stuff yesterday. (Snow, not nose-candy).

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7479 Post by Ibbie » Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

Back from walk and coffee at local.

Now on a zero Alhambra. Temperature by garden bar is 28c.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#7480 Post by Groundgripper » Sun May 05, 2019 11:54 am

Sunny but a bit cool (13.7C), according to the weather station, and breezy. A standard early May day.

Fighting a losing battle with white fly in the greenhouse and conservatory.

I've been using the Gardena watering system for the last 15 years at least, it seems to work well. In the last house it watered at least 25-30 pots in our small patio back garden. The tap and electronic controller were in the garage and fed the entire system through a 4.6mm pipe. In the present house it's a 13mm pipe from the tap on the garage wall to the greenhouse and an array of 4.6mm pipes with drippers to the individual pots inside. Usually I use it when we go away on holiday but it's there the whole time. It's another thing I don't have to remember #-o . It does get taken down and drained in the autumn, though.

GG