The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#9681 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 pm

If it was an electric pump, then I would suggest powering it with bare live and earth wires running along the outside top of the pipe about 4" apart, a little less than a hand's width ;)))
Electric cattle fencing attached to the pipe could do the trick also, if you float the entire pipe on little platforms above the lagoon.

My assumptions would be about right then, so your system is at its limits now for suction head, and longer pipe of the same diameter will cause cavitation. A 4"/100mm pipe for the whole inlet distance to the deep lagoon, including replacing the existing 63mm pipe on the inlet side - 142m in total - would be needed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9682 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm

A further point, the floating second pump idea won't work with 63mm pipe either, since the maximum output head is 85 ft, and the allowed suction head to the existing pump is 26 ft, which is 111 ft total and equal to the loss in 142m of 63mm pipe. Chuck in some bends and a bit of dirt in the pipe and the existing pump will still cavitate.
You need wider pipe!

If it's any consolation, the sizing of your current system appears correct, so your water engineer knows his/her stuff.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9683 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
A further point, the floating second pump idea won't work with 63mm pipe either, since the maximum output head is 85 ft, and the allowed suction head to the existing pump is 26 ft, which is 111 ft total and equal to the loss in 142m of 63mm pipe. Chuck in some bends and a bit of dirt in the pipe and the existing pump will still cavitate.
You need wider pipe!

If it's any consolation, the sizing of your current system appears correct, so your water engineer knows his/her stuff.
Or some rain. Yes he does unlike our last chap who wrecked three new pumps with incorrect inlet pipe sizes. Thanks Fox very interesting. Don't think that Water Affairs (inland water board) would be very impressed with electrified pontoons over the lagoon. We are lucky they haven't picked up on our jetty yet.

The little bastards would just cut the wires and march off with the lot including the wires. I think mines are the only solution. Probably steal them.

Solar has just crashed again. Sure it is the battery. Chap coming next week.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9684 Post by handsfree » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:10 pm

Yesterday I found a new thing to press that I hadn't seen before in my fairly newly acquired motorcar.
Tucked away amongst the courtesy light switches and sundry other rarely used paraphernalia clustered around the rear view mirror
was an innocuous looking push switch. Such was it's position that I couldn't read what was written upon it wearing my varifocal glasses.
So being an inquisitive sort of chap I pushed it full of excitement and expectation. Bingo; the plastic cover flipped open revealing a
recessed RED push switch which was now glowing with importance.

Now whether it said on it DO NOT PRESS I do not know but press it I did; I'm an engineer for crying out loud.

All became clear as to it's purpose as the nav screen displayed a large message telling me that I was now connected to the Emergency Services
at the same time as a loud voice filled the car telling me the same self thing and asking what services did I require.
I made my excuses and left as they say in the quality press.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9685 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm

OMG. That pipe again. Spain uses it in 25mm and 32mm sizes to connect the water meter in the street to the house. If it's exposed at any point to Spanish sun it will pinhole within twelve months. Water pressure on my mountainside is 12 bar and I drop this down at the meter end to about 6 bar. A pinhole too small to be seen with the naked eye produces an amazing fountain. Problem is that the mountainside is granite so digging in my 25 metres is no joke. The last (emergency) run I did placed it inside some grey plastic pipe lying on the surface and hope it will get hidden by long grass......

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9686 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 pm

handsfree wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:10 pm

So being an inquisitive sort of chap I pushed it full of excitement and expectation. Bingo; the plastic cover flipped open revealing a
recessed RED push switch which was now glowing with importance.

Now whether it said on it DO NOT PRESS I do not know but press it I did; I'm an engineer for crying out loud.
A macho male engineer even: RTFM is for wimps?

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9687 Post by Tall Bird » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:38 pm

Oo er hf! :D

Well the forecasters were partially right: we've had plenty of rain passing through tho' no t/storms. The rain held off yesterday until we got into the church for friend's thanksgiving service. The Rev had a different sermon: Monday's was themed on Psalm 8 and Tuesday's was Ecclesiastes 3 A Time For Everything. We had great A&M hymns (organist tried to drown us out), readings and pieces by Handel and Purcell throughout. All chosen by the deceased who was a very organised lady. She instructed no wailing and weeping but we could shed a 'gentle, sophisticated tear.' Pity we exited in heavy rain as H was a very sunny person.

Had an early start today at the gym followed by a very painful physio session. Caught up at lunchtime with a friend who'd been at the Y Not Festival in the Peak at the weekend. 'It was a bit muddy' she said. =)) Had to do a long detour homebound as I had forgotten a major road closure. On the diversion, the water lads were busy digging trenches - it won't be long before they join up with all the others in the area. :( Was almost home when I got stuck behind two bin lorries trying to pass in the narrow lanes. In the afternoon I decided it was too wet to tackle the hawthorn hedge so stayed indoors and had a cuppa or two instead. :-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9688 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 pm

Garbage collectors in Mallorca go on strike next month. Smelly island. Rats. Seagulls....

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9689 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 am

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:20 pm
That's a lot of concrete, are you doing it in one pour?

Yup. Done. I'm 'kin knackered.

The concreters did a bloody good job. I shouldda taken piccies, but I was just too damn busy.

They had a ferkin great big pump with a schnorkel extender thingy. It took two mixer wagons at a time and there was a queue of at least three wagons lined up and waiting in the lane at a time, sometimes six. I organised a one-way traffic system on the local roads, much to the pissedoffness of some ornery road-users. ****, I say, and said.

160 wagon loads in total. Yes. One hundred and sixty. I counted 'em 'cos I'm paying for them all. A hundred and fukking sixty!

SEPA: ****; and the horse you rode up on.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9690 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 am

BBC World Service America TV news 10 minutes ago, scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen mentioned a British Airways Summer Strike ? No details mentioned.

First I've heard of it, any clues ?

Later ....Disregard, "When in doubt, read the instructions". ( Google )

Possible from August 5th. ( if the Press is to be believed )

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9691 Post by llondel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 am
160 wagon loads in total. Yes. One hundred and sixty. I counted 'em 'cos I'm paying for them all. A hundred and fukking sixty!
Out of interest, how much does it cost for 160 loads? Must have been a relay running back to the cement yard for reloads.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9692 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 am

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm
OMG. That pipe again. Spain uses it in 25mm and 32mm sizes to connect the water meter in the street to the house. If it's exposed at any point to Spanish sun it will pinhole within twelve months. Water pressure on my mountainside is 12 bar and I drop this down at the meter end to about 6 bar. A pinhole too small to be seen with the naked eye produces an amazing fountain. Problem is that the mountainside is granite so digging in my 25 metres is no joke. The last (emergency) run I did placed it inside some grey plastic pipe lying on the surface and hope it will get hidden by long grass......
Morning folks. OFSO, the CEO of the company who own the safari camp up river visited a few months ago and decided that his shower was not powerful enough and ordered a booster pump fitted to the water system. We needed a booster pump to run the washing machine. Our water engineer said he didn't recommend pressurising the whole system just have a small booster pump to the machine. They have spent two weeks repairing pipes and joints and they still haven't finished. Daily reports and photos are going to HQ in Johannesburg =)) Next time the CEO visits I will ask him if his shower is OK.

Town day.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9693 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:19 am

Morning everyone, early start as the taxi company will only pick us up 3 hours before departure, airport 15 minutes away X(
Possible from August 5th. ( if the Press is to be believed )
BALPA have to give a minimum of 14 days notice, nothing been announced yet. Around 20 flights a day canx due to flight crew shortages.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#9694 Post by Slasher » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 am

Ex-A's post reminds me of certain words, when misused, I wince at.

Pressurised and Pressured. One is pressured into doing something. A system is pressurised in order for it to operate.

Loose and lose. I need not go into the specifics when those are mixed up. 🙄

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9695 Post by handsfree » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:31 am

August already. Good grief where has the year gone ?

Amazingly, it isn't raining this morning, yet.
Wetness forecast for this afternoon, not that I'm bothered, as I'll be at the Royal it being a Thursday.

Start of the Ashes Test today at Edgbaston so I must make sure to take my earphones with me.

Glad I'm not paying for 160 truck loads of concrete. #:-S

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9696 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 am
Undried Plum wrote:
Out of interest, how much does it cost for 160 loads? Must have been a relay running back to the cement yard for reloads.

Must be an EU grant available :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9697 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 am

Strikes everywhere in Spain. Worryingly not a peep from the French ATC.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9698 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 am

Undried Plum wrote:
4mastacker wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:20 pm
That's a lot of concrete, are you doing it in one pour?
................160 wagon loads in total. Yes. One hundred and sixty. I counted 'em 'cos I'm paying for them all. A hundred and fukking sixty! .....................
Hat duly tipped to your sterling efforts sir. ^:)^ I done a quick calculation last night when you posted your photo of the base and thought I was wrong when it worked out at about 900 tons. I was wrong...it was more!!! That's a lot of barrowing if you haven't got a pump.

Haven't seen a pump that takes two mixers at a time, the one we use just takes a single load.

A hundred and sixty!!! Geezuschrystonabike!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9699 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:47 am

All the best for the month it is starting.

Warmest wished for Mrs. Woodrick. Slasher nice grammar lesson. UP impressive project and we would like to see pics before and after.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9700 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:51 am

Ascot, if you are susceptible to leaks, sucking is better than blowing. Pinholes letting a small amount of air in, better than allowing larger amount of water out.