General Chit Chat
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#11861 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:33 pm

handsfree wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 am
....Hope you don't have shingles RiS. Horrible, painful disease.
Fingers crossed for you RiS. In the UK if you are aged 70-78 you can have a vaccination - Zostavax - which reduces the chance of developing shingles. For convenience it's usually done at the same time as the flu jab.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11862 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:19 pm
Yes Ian, they would look great on our stone built, thatched house with stained natural wood window frames. Many folk in more vulnerable areas here have steel bars on their windows an doors. Then what happens in the case of fire. Where we used to rent a thatched place with steel bars was robbed. They simply cut through the thatch roof. They will always find a way to get in. I mean, look at the Hatton Garden robbery.
True, I was against having them, but when SM found a NR in the bedroom going through her handbag, in the middle of the day, it was suddenly deemed a necessity.
Appearances moved well down the priorities list.
We have he retractable type, and the keys are available close by for the fire hazard problem.
We have 5 ways out of the house.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11863 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 pm

All the houses in Spain, at least this part and whereever I've been, have steel grills on windows and doors. Lethal in case if a fire ? Yes. However since the police fitted CCTV cameras we've gotten lax and never lock the main door grill. Interestingly my wife's family home in London also has steel grills on front and rear doors, and on the front window to the street. Also lethal if there's a fire. But so it goes.....

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11864 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes Ian this is the problem. Do you have to lock everything up when you are just by the pool as we were with our last robbery? Remotely activated landmines are the solution. I am seriously considering wiring the metal front gate up to the mains but friends come and lean on it to call for us when they want something.

Sundowners,, feet in pool. 38 at sunset. Clear sky now will not drop below 30 overnight.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#11865 Post by k3k3 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Ex-A, have you thought about using an alarm mine, they fire a 12 bore blank when triggered.

https://www.henrykrank.com/cleaning-mai ... -mine.html

They will of course work with a live cartridge as well. :ymdevil:

ribrash

#11866 Post by ribrash » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm
Thieving seems catching. Tealeaves broke in to MiL house this morning, smashed patio doors, and went straight her bedroom. She was not home luckily
PN check out a device called " Patlock " Supposed to be very good.

ribrash

#11867 Post by ribrash » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:11 pm

If anyone is still undecided about trying an Airfryer and they have access to a LIdl store they can purchase a Salter airfryer reduced from £89-99 to £39-99.Bargain.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11868 Post by Woody » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

ribrash wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:11 pm
If anyone is still undecided about trying an Airfryer and they have access to a LIdl store they can purchase a Salter airfryer reduced from £89-99 to £39-99.Bargain.
Bought mine last week, but I’ve been in ZA and not had a real chance to try it out :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ribrash

#11869 Post by ribrash » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm
ribrash wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:11 pm
Bought mine last week, but I’ve been in ZA and not had a real chance to try it out :D
Maybe I need to get one myself. :-?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11870 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm

ribrash wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm
Thieving seems catching. Tealeaves broke in to MiL house this morning, smashed patio doors, and went straight her bedroom. She was not home luckily
PN check out a device called " Patlock " Supposed to be very good.
Thieves simply shatter the toughened glass of the patio doors to gain entry.
Forcing the locks is no longer necessary.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11871 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:22 pm

The sliding conservatory doors from Wickes, 20 years old, are metal framed and resisted attack. The broke in by inserting a jemmy into the bottom of the patio door. Being modern safety glass it shattered into chip fragments. Ian's suggestion is one we were already considering.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11872 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Thanks for the good wishes: I picked up the results this afternoon. The lab technician said they show a past infection not a current one. A young doctor asked me the picture from last Wednesday and it was forwarded to the Chief Doctor of the Medical Center along a current one. Chief agreed it was shingles. I asked to receive a prescription for a pill rather an ointment because they are in hard to reach place and it requires frequent application. Wishe was granted and the purchase is planned first thing tomorrow. The prescription includes an antibiotic (I think) and a vitamin B.

For those suffering from issues with break-ins my sympathy.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11873 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:13 pm

We had forced entry via the patio doors 30 years ago (at a previous house) - they literally lifted the doors off the runners.
Son's neighbour had entry gained by breaking the glass of their patio doors - no sophisticated locks would have prevented that.
I proposed security film (of the sort that can be applied to cars to reinforce toughened glass against breakage).

Toughened glass (which is used on most patio doors) can be easily shattered with an 'automatic centre punch' - the security film holds the fragments and prevents the glass from disintegrating.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11874 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm sure others will disagree with this but one of my pet hates at this time of year are those who "support" the Royal British Legion year after year by dragging out their poppy brooches instead of making a healthy annual donation to the poppy appeal and wearing the normal variety.

I saw my first two of this year's examples on TV tonight - Corbyn and that excuse of a man, the leader of the SNP at Westminster, Ian Blackford. Why am I not surprised! :-q
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11875 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Them Canucks is real friendly......
3zpz8WQe4SNH8FnRsDXCNy3nJjr1r9dQh7KbJih4kHWfUtdvgEPEiPnzCop3GF63C1KByxqcQ7ushi7WX5K5CvzLTi2NrxPoHsQaBm2DRBTUqbykxu7acgoMgZf4hpfcTVEBETSN8EFY37UaZpiJ.jpg
3zpz8WQe4SNH8FnRsDXCNy3nJjr1r9dQh7KbJih4kHWfUtdvgEPEiPnzCop3GF63C1KByxqcQ7ushi7WX5K5CvzLTi2NrxPoHsQaBm2DRBTUqbykxu7acgoMgZf4hpfcTVEBETSN8EFY37UaZpiJ.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 212 times

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11876 Post by boing » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 am

Fox, I did not want to bring up alternate burglar protection devices but since you did ;))) ;)))

The tough window film works well. It puts the burglar into a position of making more noise and taking more time if he is intent on completing the crime. You can get grades from light to heavy but the heavier versions are more noticeable. The way the material is fitted is also important.

We live in along, thin, county which has very little police coverage, they reckon on an average 20 mins. response time if there happens to be an officer at your end of the county.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11877 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:45 am

We have the best situation - there is no crime.

This may well be due to tealeafs expecting dogs and shotguns in farmhouses, plus knowing that somebody may well be up at all hours. They stick to the two cites, by and large.
The cops drive by once a year. They started this in 2015; I think they have a box to tick. It's always in June.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11878 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:38 am

Morning, all. Twas foggy earlier, now at 06:30 all clear. Where did it all go ?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11879 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 am

Maybe it is worth to build a connection with the local cops so they keep you on their radar in a positive way.

There is a yellow warning for fog but it seems it does not apply in my region.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11880 Post by ian16th » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 am

Funeral duty today :(

SAAFA colleague, so a blazer & tie event, on a warm day.
Cynicism improves with age