General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#11941 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:27 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:23 pm
The fires are a combination of the fact that the humidity is low, the winds have picked up from the near-zero we get around here in summer, and it hasn't really rained yet so everything is really dry. So if something ignites, it's going to spread fast. It's the strongest winds I've been aware of since I've been here, although I frequent South Bay where it's usually relatively calm because most of it goes over the top (mountain peaks either side are at about 4000ft). If you get up on the ridges or in the passes or out where it's flatter then you'll get much stronger winds. It was certainly noticeable on Sunday when I was driving up to Dixon.

Gusts were typically 40mph and the peak recorded gust reported by the local media was 93mph somewhere.

I can't give a sensible pilot's call on it because I've only flown Cessnasa and a Tiger Moth and not much of any of those.
Which experience makes your comment totally apposite. Thanks for that insight. There is no better knowledge than local. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11942 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:41 pm

when we had the first Great California Power Shutoff a few weeks back, lots of people were complaining that there was no noticeable wind, but they were all down in the lower reaches of the valley, not up higher where there was a lot more wind.

We were affected that time, and it's noticeable that this time we're not, so either they've figured out how to patch power through to our area or have realised that our feed is not in danger.

Slasher

#11943 Post by Slasher » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am

llondel wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:23 pm
I've only flown Cessnas and a Tiger Moth
My respect for you has risen a few notches Mr llondel. Fellow aviator! 👍🏻

You’d like the PA18 Super Cub. It’s not a DH82 but still fun. :)

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11944 Post by Ibbie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:43 am

Morning all

It's 20 c and back in short sleeves. Blue sky with a few clouds about.

Another public holiday tomorrow.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11945 Post by handsfree » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am

Some high level cloud about and a more noticeable damp feel to the morning, 4C.
Signs of the change to come; rain forecast for the next few days. Fortunately the river levels have
dropped considerably and the forecast rain is fairly light in comparison to last week's.

The end of October is upon us already.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11946 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:49 am

First light very light of the season.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11947 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:31 am

Raining up here. Fires in CA similar to fires in Catalunia when a Tramuntana is blowing. Just have to wait for the Wind to drop.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11948 Post by handsfree » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am

Ex-A, The Little Rissington pelican went by the name of Patrick plus other later ones

http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/h ... story6.htm

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11949 Post by ian16th » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:24 am

Just had a 'seismic event'! 13:20 local time.

Never heard of such here before on the KZN South Coast.
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11950 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 pm

Piss-up/nosh-up/shoot-up (serious fireworks, not guns) all sorted for this evening.

Kick-off at sunset with kiddiewinks Hallowe'en party and bonfire lighting; then mini fireworks shootoff, with ordinary retail type stuff from the supermarket, at Nautical Twilight.

Hog roast (Boris); lamb roast (Angela) already under way. Fatted calf (Alex) was slotted three weeks ago and his beef is nicely matured and ready for skilled cooking. Enough food to feed an army and enough good quality booze to float a navy.

Eighty guests/families invited, with a high prob that three or four dozen of the usual suspects will gatecrash knowing the abundance of booze and liven the party up more than somewhat. Minibus to ferry folk to and fro is due to turn to at 16:00; and a second driver is due onshift at 23:00 to 03:00.

All sorted.

Local MP specifically non-invited. SNP ****. Tory loon candidate invited, subject to him signing a Brexit covenant in his own blood.

Wx fcst not great: Prob35 to 55 (depending which random number generator one uses) rain showers at 23:00. Cloud base close to the detonating height of the big mortars, which is not good and will require attention.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11951 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:16 pm

Halloween Party at the Brittania Pub this evening. Set menu €15 including wine. The 'mem is going as the devil, or possibly a devil. Had to go out and purchase a new glue gun this morning as she's making Accessories.

A lot of time has gone into decorating the pub. All local English and a few British will be there. Dagos by invitation only. Forecast mostly dry, it rained all morning but currently sun out.

ribrash

#11952 Post by ribrash » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 pm
Piss-up/nosh-up/shoot-up (serious fireworks, not guns) all sorted for this evening.

Kick-off at sunset with kiddiewinks Hallowe'en party and bonfire lighting; then mini fireworks shootoff, with ordinary retail type stuff from the supermarket, at Nautical Twilight.

Hog roast (Boris); lamb roast (Angela) already under way. Fatted calf (Alex) was slotted three weeks ago and his beef is nicely matured and ready for skilled cooking. Enough food to feed an army and enough good quality booze to float a navy.

Eighty guests/families invited, with a high prob that three or four dozen of the usual suspects will gatecrash knowing the abundance of booze and liven the party up more than somewhat. Minibus to ferry folk to and fro is due to turn to at 16:00; and a second driver is due onshift at 23:00 to 03:00.

All sorted.

Local MP specifically non-invited. SNP *c*nt*. Tory loon candidate invited, subject to him signing a Brexit covenant in his own blood.

Wx fcst not great: Prob35 to 55 (depending which random number generator one uses) rain showers at 23:00. Cloud base close to the detonating height of the big mortars, which is not good and will require attention.
That sounds excellent UP. :-bd

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11953 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Afternoon folks. Seems like a good bash UP report back. Not a fun morning with immigration and the police. Now we have a massive topical storm overhead of us which is of course good news. Only those who have lived down here know what it is like. The whole house is shaking. Cells right over the top.

Hope it continues for ages. Just had a simultaneous flash and bang. Bloody hell it was loud. The bats do not seem to be keen to go out for the evening. The pelicans were doing an aerial survey earlier but now seem to have disappeared.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11954 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Just spent a very pleasant few hours at the Garlogie Inn having an excellent lunch with 5 retired fellow pilots formerly with British Caledonian Helicopters and/or Bristow Helicopters. It made me realise that the thing I miss most about flying is the crewroom banter. One of our number is a natural comedian and the jokes just flowed.

Very satisfying - they want to repeat the exercise after Christmas but the aim will be to fill the long table which seats about 14.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11955 Post by Wodrick » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 pm

Just another average sunset from the front terrace moments ago looking right at *Ibbieville*
P1020538.JPG
P1020539.JPG
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11956 Post by ricardian » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11957 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Charlie 16, I don't know when you left the crew room but 30 odd years ago the crew room we had was huge, just no one around. CO, ex flt cdr, asked where everyone was. Of 6 crews, leave, QRA, flying, stand down, night flying, duty crew.

Beer calls like wise deserted with families scattered over 30 miles away.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11958 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

There was a spot about free dive and Amorgos earlier today and the Mayor of the island said a few words about the dive festival.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11959 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:56 pm
Charlie 16, I don't know when you left the crew room but 30 odd years ago the crew room we had was huge, just no one around......
I wasn’t clear but the crewrooms I was referring to were the civvy ones for North Sea oil ops. I left just over 20 years ago but then with 50, 70 - or at Christmas/New Year 90 flights - a day and often two, sometimes three, round trips per crew there was plenty of downtime between trips for crewroom chat. The heyday was in the late 80’s when at one point in Bristow at Aberdeen we had 235 pilots based there.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11960 Post by ricardian » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER