The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#11961 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 am

I've often seen goats corralled along the side of I-680, presumably performing a similar function of removing excess vegetation. I've seen horses tethered along a roadside to do the same thing in the UK.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11962 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:54 am

Bad night. Steak pie at ten p.m. didn't agree with me, nor I with it. Sitting at the Halloween party opposite a six foot tall lovely lady in a very slinky cat suit was some consolation for hours of heartburn afterwards.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11963 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 am

llondel wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:11 am
I've often seen goats corralled along the side of I-680, presumably performing a similar function of removing excess vegetation. I've seen horses tethered along a roadside to do the same thing in the UK.

RiS dad an agronomist is against the idea because goats just prepare the next generation of vegetation or he said so some time ago when a family friend had such a problem.

Slasher

#11964 Post by Slasher » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:54 am

Afternoon. 13 o’clock plus 45 here.

No rain expected but we got a spattering when I went for a run this morning. Ap continues to improve - she can talk legibly albeit with some pain, but her lower left back still requires a bi-daily injection of painkiller. Other than that she does ok at work with strategically placed pillows at her chair and desk.

Tomorrow morning it’s Cub time. Me kid has been chomping at the bit to do some flying since mum is improving. Andrew is devoted to his mother and rings her during every school lunch break. His whole school is aware of what happened and perfumed smelly sticks abound at the Buddhist temple as a consequence. The local Monk blesses Ap whenever she turns up.

What has always amazed me as a Westerner is the attitude by locals to whom they don’t even know. It really is true sincerity and not just an act of good manners.I think it’s due to a mixture of the collective Asian cultural mindset combined with Buddhist values.

The perp continues to suffer every day down in BKK. As mentioned I’m not permitted feedback on the “corrective actions” being taken nor the prick’s accident-proneness, but a certain corporal at our local cop shop assured me yesterday he’s having no picnic. He is apparently a piece of unrepentant sh!t and I’m invited to the BKK lockup anytime to gawk at the prisoner.

Sisemen

#11965 Post by Sisemen » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 am

Third day of rain and very cool temperatures. Bring back the sun .... waaaah!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11966 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:13 am

For cat lovers........
IMG_20191101_065612.jpg

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11967 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 am

It's a sunny FRIDAY.

Short sleeves are the order again as temperature is already 23c.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11968 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 am

llondel wrote:
Pikeys. You're not a real pikey unless you have a black and white horse inn a short tether eating someone else's grass, and a mangy dog secured on a chain by a caravan.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11969 Post by handsfree » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:42 am

FRIDAY is back with us and with it has come the rain once more.
Nothing like Ex-A's rain thankfully.

Welcome to November 2019

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11970 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:03 am

Morning all,
Same as, bit windy though, as usual bits of garden inhabiting the pond.

good visit to trafico yesterday, Wednesday I was sent away, missing paperwork again.
I was missing a bit that the web site specifically says is not required but my man wanted it.
Yesterday I returned with everything I could think of in duplicate.
I stood at the end of the queue and was waved through the ten before me, dealt with in a couple of minutes and was soon on my way home.
Even parked right outside too.

Today is All Saints Day another soddin' Bank Holiday.
I think I is delegated to oven cleaning today. What a delight.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11971 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm
There was a spot about free dive and Amorgos earlier today and the Mayor of the island said a few words about the dive festival.
Kalomina, interesting. That would be our new mayor Lefteris. We have been saying for years he should take over. Degree in Economics from Durham University. Great guy known him for 20 years. Rather wasted running a hardware shop but it was his father in law's. One of these places where you can buy anything. He was being groomed by our last mayor to take over. At the last minute the Admiral decided he wanted to stay so Lefteris set up his own party and won.

Good news Capt.

Nursie reckons I have a stomach bug. Went to bed at 19.30 last night without having dinner. Stomach is aching. I have chucked a couple of cold beers at it to teach it a lesson.

8mm of rain last night more forecast for tomorrow. The garden has freshened up a bit. The lagoon is up more than 8mm so must have been more rain further up stream. Still raining in Angola we should benefit from this in 6 months.

We had an outside light on last night which shouldn't have been, must be a short somewhere maybe caused by the rain. Result was very low power this morning. Overcast so having to run the genny to get the system charged up.

The pelicans are back in front. The squadron flew in from up stream this morning and did a formation landing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#11972 Post by Slasher » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am

Sorry to hear about your crook guts Sah. Are you expelling slimy stuff from both ends or just one?

About to pick up Ap at her office. She wants to try and see if she’s capable yet of driving Maddie or not. We will be dining at a good soup shop in town this evening as chewing meat and other hard things is still too painful for her.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11973 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:30 am

No only one end Capt the other is busy slurping beer. It doesn't seem too bad now.

About 200 of the 300 pelicans just took off into wind (virtually still) turned downwind and headed up river. The others are staring in that direction as if to say 'where have they gone'?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11974 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 am
llondel wrote:
Pikeys. You're not a real pikey unless you have a black and white horse inn a short tether eating someone else's grass, and a mangy dog secured on a chain by a caravan.
Not in this case, I don't think. It was an established farm with proper buildings and amenities and fields etc. That's what caught my eye because I've seen what you describe in the past.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11975 Post by ricardian » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Tomorrow morning's ferry has been cancelled because the forecast is for strong(ish) wind. I've done the usual checks and everything seems to be battened down. I hope I don't lose any slates off the roof as my new second-hand car is parked in front of the house; the car is a 2007 Mazda 5 Sport (7 previous owners) purchased from the island's hoteliers for the princely sum of £500; there was no handbook but the nice people at Mazda UK sent me a 450 page PDF document which is, to say the least, very comprehensive!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11976 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:39 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:33 pm
Seems like a good bash UP report back.
Wilco.

The bash went very well indeed. It had been well planned and plentifully provisioned.

Mercifully, the weather pixies were kind to us. Only a brief half hour or so of very thin drizzle an hour before the 23:00 big fireworks. The cloud base was a little above 2,500' which is the floor of the CTA stub of Edinburgh's CTZ and the upper ceiling limit of the biggest mortar bursts.

The evening kicked off with party games for the wee kiddywinks while the bonfire got blazing. Then at dusk there was a small fireworks session, followed by spooky story-telling by a local professional actor who does deep voiceovers for telly. Then, once it was properly dark, three ladies from the local AmDram, togged up magnificently as Macbeth's witches, made a stealthy approach. Two came from the darkness behind the bonfire, one from each side of it. The third approached from behind the kids, rushing straight through the cluster of kids doing the cackle thing. Absolute terror!

The witches started off with the plain vanilla script of When the hurlyburly's done, When the battle's lost and won. Fair is foul, and foul is fair: Hover through the fog and filthy air.

Then they went wickedly off-script. Wickedly funny, that is. They had put together a hilarious pastiche, in the Shakespearean style, but ripping the piss out of all the main players in the whole Brexit fiasco. The kids couldn't figure out why all the grownups were in stitches.

The play went on for about three or four minutes when one of the wee kiddies yelled in the rural dialect of darkest British West Lothian "What a minute! Yon witch looks like Mrs H********!" Another one piped up "All witches look like Mrs Henderson, ya loon". All three witches were laughing so hard they could barely stand. Most of all Mrs H********, the Head Teacher of the local primary school.

A minute or so later a stray spark from the adjacent bonfire landed on the back of the very wide brim of one player's hat. It smouldered at first, sending tendrils of smoke about her head. Then suddenly it burst into flames. A wee voice in the front row shouted "Mrs H********, yer airse is on fire ya witch! Everyone, kids included, was in stitches. The players had to abandon the final few seconds of the show because they were crying with laughter and just couldn't go on.

Once the kids had been sent off home to bed, the grownups got on with 'our' party' Great craic all round.

One of the guests is a highly accomplished violinist. She can play in almost any style you can think of. She got us all dancing to some truly infectious foot-tapping Bluegrass and Texas barnburner stomp tunes and then again to some brilliant jewish wedding music and later to some incredibly lively Highland fiddle tunes. Another guest, who is a retired Pipe Major from The Royal Regiment of Scotland, got his pipes out and the two of them did a half hour jam session which was totally brilliant. He, like she, can play his instrument in any style including some manically paced rock music, His nickname locally is Deaf Shepherd.

Then there was the big fireworks display, scheduled for the moment we should have been liberated from the EU. All electronically fired by a computer, timed to hundredths of a second. Brilliant, quite literally.

After the finale, Deaf Shepherd played a very mournful lament for the Brexit of which our celebrations had been deprived. Musta been quite a lot of ash floating up from the dying embers of the bonfire or something, 'cos it got in everyone's eyes.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11977 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Brilliant UP. Well organised Sir.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11978 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm

..and well described also! Love the one about all witches looking like Mrs Henderson.

As for Brexit, with the upcoming election
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Fox3, once a Second Witch

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11979 Post by boing » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Since UP can organise a piss-up he's a shoe-in for PM.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#11980 Post by izod tester » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Ex-A, In case you were wondering where the water in the lagoon had gone, it may have turned up here:

I was going to move my dinghies from the sailing club to local barn for winter storage tomorrow, but the access road is about 2m deep in places and the dinghy park is flooded to about 25cm.