The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12041 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:15 am

Winter tyres going onto the car today. They're not as quiet as the summer tyres, but they're necessary and give an even more comfortable ride as they're on smaller wheels.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12042 Post by Wodrick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am

Morning all,
Same windy as it has been for three days now.
Cloudless at present, temperature is hovering around the overnight low of 15.
Paco thinks 23 later with the wind dropping.

wrt Quizzes of the 10 questions on University Challenge that I actually understood I got four right !

The taxman has visited and halved my current account overnight.

Hope the wind drops later, we have a viewing, house is a Henry induced mess.

All for now.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12043 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:15 am
Winter tyres going onto the car today. They're not as quiet as the summer tyres, but they're necessary and give an even more comfortable ride as they're on smaller wheels.
Do you tell your insurer about the 'modification '? My present car came with winter tyres which was perfect for a trip to Germany. I changed them the following summer and switched back the next winter. Binned them the next year as it was not worth keeping them for a third winter.

When I lived up north I used to fit a pair of studded mud and snow radials on the front wheels only. I used them for 9 years. They lost some studs but a negligible amount of tread. Used on 3 cars and finally binned them when wheel size crept up from 155 to 225. As the car was front wheel drive and front wheel handbrake it never skidded.

I also had a set of chains, bought in Cyprus. Eventually binned those too as the summer wheels got larger.

Slasher

#12044 Post by Slasher » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

The taxman has visited and halved my current account overnight
Bloody hell Wod! That’s blatant daylight robbery by a bunch of corrupt crooks also known as ‘your government’. 😱

I wouldn’t cough up the parasitic bastards a penny. It’s time you moved abroad to better climates, both financial and weatherwise.

house is a Henry induced mess.
Henry’s payback for turning him into a eunuch mate. If I had me nuts ripped I’d be messing up yer ‘ouse something fierce too! ;)))

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#12045 Post by Groundgripper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 am

Comparatively quiet at present, 10C and wind 15Kt gusting 25Kt ENE, so it feels quite cool but dry and partly sunny.

It's also blowing all the leaves from my neighbour's climbing geranium into my back garden, which is annoying as the prevailing wind usually blows them in the opposite direction, down the front drive and onto the road.

We have the pleasure of an appointment for SM at the Blackpool Victoria Hospital this afternoon, a check-up after her series of chest infections last year. The respiratory unit physio at BVH doesn't want to see her any more so hopefully that will be the case with the doctor as well.

GG

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12046 Post by Wodrick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:07 am

Half my current is not necessarily a great deal. I only have enuf to live in there.
They just take it too. If you don't have it they embargo your accounts until you do.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12047 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am

Winter tires not going on and never have. Only difference I've seen in scientific tests is 3%. Four wheel drive makes a much bigger difference, as does anticipation. Early warnings of our possible first winter storm this Friday, so I have a rush on to close up the barn.

Slasher

#12048 Post by Slasher » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm

As I mentioned somewhere before, I’ve used CYZF (Yellowknife) as a barometer of sorts (so to speak) of the change of seasons. After today’s and yesterday’s TAFs and METARs, yes indeed Fox3 Winter is well and truly upon yas. ❄️ ☔️

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12049 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Just come back from the safari camp. Very surprised to see the leader of the group is the boss of the guides, (Wilmar - reflective) who is based in the office in JNB. A very old friend of ours, taken her out on Squiffy Pussy III many times. She is brilliant but you do not mess with her.

This is a 24 day tour starting in CPT via Namibia, Bots, Vic Falls and ending up in JNB. It is a group of 6 single girls. The nominated NR S.A. leader thought that it was his birthday and Christmas all rolled into one. Night one he was bonking one. Then he started to play one off against another saying how one was so good in bed perhaps 'you' could be better. They are all pretty ugly but he was leaving out the uglier one. Then the first one thought that his big black dangler was hers for the whole 24 nights but he was playing the field. Some of them e-mailed head office to complain, presumably about lack of sharing. They had no spare guides to replace him so they pulled Wilmar out of the office, which she was very happy with, and sent her to intercept the tour on day six in Namibia to take over. When she got to the camp, late, it was locked and had to spend the night in the vehicle. She had wanted to interview (bollock) him and explain why that she was taking over. In the end, at dawn, when the gates opened and their truck was driving out she stood in the middle of the road. Stopped the vehicle, threw him out with his luggage and said, 'I have control, report to head office'.

Her group seems happy. They should be, she is a really fun lady to have around.

Low 40s at the moment. Before Wilmar departed she threw herself into the pool fully clothed and climbed into the cab soaking wet.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12050 Post by Ibbie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:31 pm

The taxman has visited and halved my current account overnight
+1

Mrs IB has to attend hospital for meeting with person who nocks you out for your operation, tomorrow.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12051 Post by Wodrick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Ah progress *Ibbie* don't they have to operate within two weeks ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12052 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:40 pm

The income tax payable when I lived in Spain was precisely twice that payable now I live in the UK. Same amount, same conditions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12053 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Just wondering how many of you have visited here in it’s incarnation :ymdevil: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... 838720.amp
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12054 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Love the “stay out of the river “ quote, as if the Irwell is a major swimming place :))

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-50301072
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12055 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am
Winter tires not going on and never have. Only difference I've seen in scientific tests is 3%. Four wheel drive makes a much bigger difference, as does anticipation. Early warnings of our possible first winter storm this Friday, so I have a rush on to close up the barn.
I don't bother with winter tyres either. Where I live, the snow is only visible on the tops of mountains in the colder months, and I suspect if it actually hit the valley floor then it would make the 1/4" UK snow chaos look like a walk in the park.

Of course, if I needed to go over Donner Pass at the wrong time of year then I might invest in some chains. I've been over it in March but picked a good day as the road was clear. Even in May this year there was still snow piled up at the rest stop at the top - first time any of our dogs had met snow.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12056 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:03 pm

"People shouldn't go in the river until it is considered safe to do so,"
When's that then?"

"The 27th Century ..... we hope... if all humanity, and the residents of Salford, are dead by the 24th Century"

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12057 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Our school (Wodders and I) is on the Irwell. In those days it was so polluted you only had to fall in and you were dead. There was a copper works up river and men used to dive in to recover copper waste. Their bloated bodies being recovered by the police divers by the school was great entertainment for us boys.

Another 2 wheel drive stuck in sand by our estate. They haven't even got past the worst bit yet. Me no help, NR malakas. They think that backing down and making a faster run at the slope is going to be the solution when they have already calved up the track to *****.

Just working our way through the sitcom 'Porridge' at the mo.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12058 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am
I have seen a promotional video, therefore free from bias :), of winter tyres v all weather v summer. The winter tyre 4wd was able to manoeuvre on an ice rink whereas the summer was like a new born pony.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12059 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Generally speaking, ice rinks aren't a realistic situation. The relevant conditions do of course vary regionally, but around here it's either packed snow or a messy mix of slush and snow. In those conditions, the difference was 3% for the tires, and about 20% for four wheel drive. Another factor is that my truck's tires, and just about everyone else's round here, are All Terrain, to cope with the dirt roads.
If it is an ice rink, as we do get occasionally, then I would quote the RCMP highway patrol from the last time "We're not going out; neither should you.". Ground clearance is important here, as drifting can build up so fast that a normal car can get stranded with its belly on the drifts. I happened to me twice whilst I still had a normal 2WD car, both times at the same place about 200 yards from my house. Each time I had set off before the snow started from 30 miles away, and each time it took about half an hour to get through the 30 yards of drift. Dig out 3 foot in front of the car, plant spade (because there are no visual references from inside the car), drive 3 feet to spade, repeat.

Of note is that I have never seen an advert or MSM article ever mention the difference between the tires in typical winter road conditions, and I think that is because it is so small.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#12060 Post by jimtherev » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Bin orf again as a guest of Derby Royal via the Ambulance Service.
Friday 2 a.m. gasping for breath; but as Cat 2 case had to wait until 0730 ish for transport. BP low, heart rate bloomin quick, oxygen sats waaay down. Pneumonia diagnosed; "sharp scratch, Jim" and then sod-all to do for 72 hours except consume food when put in front of me and be nice to guests and telphonees.
Now home, having missed helping the railway at bonfire night, missed being stationmaster on Sunday, and having not produced a couple of papers I'd promised for the weekend. Not the most popular girl in the school then.
But the work hasn't gone away, and I'm slowly getting on with it - except I feel like that snail -
you know the one that Ricardian told us about: he wanted to win the next mollusc race, so he decided to streamline himself by taking off his shell.
But it just made him sluggish.

Now, where's that Bill of Quantities...