The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12261 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm

OFSO I do not want to be reminded of that joke. It always makes me want to throw up.

We now must have every pelican in Botswana here. Interesting social behaviour. They keep splitting up.then getting together. Some flying others paddling.

The save every animal on the earth woman next door is going up and down the lagoon with binos trying to look for more stuck cattle or horses to try to pull out of the mud. This is f...ing Africa this is what happens. We are sure the locals are pissed off with her interference.

Thunder around but no rain.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12262 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:46 pm

We are expecting a named storm tomorrow and I am curious if it is going to be as fearsome as expected.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12263 Post by Wodrick » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:09 pm

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12264 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:09 pm
Try This
Thanks Wodrick. Very handy.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12265 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 am

Morning folks. Guess our water tanks on Amorgos will fill. No sign of rain here. No pelicans first thing then at about 06.00 they all flew in from down river and landed in front, after about 15 mins they all took off again and went up river.

Non scheduled town day to see the security guard who found our documents and hopefully immigration will have sorted our residency permits out. Then the accountants for company annual returns and pay for the no fault found solar system visit then normal weekly shopping. There are other things to do but they can wait.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12266 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:36 am

Not too cold and sun arising from its slumbers here. Picking up this winter's load of firewood this morning if roads not closed by protestors, although driving anywhere is somewhat fraught.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12267 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 am

Here you are Ex-A Southern Aegean weather: cloudy 21˚ Overcast. Feels Like: 22˚ Low: 17˚ High: 22˚ Light rain starting this afternoon, continuing until tomorrow morning.

And a METAR from an airport not too far away: METAR: LGSR 130620Z 30017KT 9999 FEW015 SCT020 18/15 Q1013

The rain is here. My lap top screen has a fortunately thin black like running across it.

Slasher

#12268 Post by Slasher » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 am

Afternoon. 1330 o’ clock here. Met Station Slasher (0631Z) shows:

W/V 040/06 - all the 9s (est) - Few Cu 030 (est) - Dry 32/wet 23 - QNH who cares - QFE 954 steady - NOSIG
TAF LOCAL 1306/1412 12005KT 9999 FEW035
TEMPO 1400/1406 5000 TSRA FEW020CB SCT035
Means it might rain if we’re lucky. I see the MUB NR has TAF’d this to give the Ex-Ascotery a ray of hope:
TAF FBMN 130300Z 1306/1315 05009KT CAVOK
BECMG 1311/1313 FEW040CB
Then again spare a thought for the Royal Canadian Aviary Force (and people living off the Grid) struggling with bloody ice and snow on top of everything else!
TAF CYZF 130538Z 1306/1406 35010KT P6SM SCT030 BKN100
TEMPO 1306/1309 6SM -SN BKN030 OVC080
FM130900 01008KT P6SM BKN030 OVC080
TEMPO 1309/1320 3SM -SN BKN015 OVC030
BECMG 1313/1315 32008KT
FM132000 32012KT P6SM FEW030 SCT080 RMK NXT FCST BY 131200Z
Can’t figure out the Pelican Squadron strategy sah. I know that’s meant to confuse the enemy as to the intended target, but with the Bat Flight compliment down to 4 operational (and asleep HJ) why a rotating aerial patrol? I don’t think they need a Big Wings with only four Luftbats to worry about.

Piper Cubbing has been the order of the last couple of days with the little bloke in command. I started him on EFATOs and the best paddocks to go for from both runways depending on height at which the donk quits. This he needed quite a bit of practice at. Today it was engine failure while flying like a bat at of hell in the valley at treetop. This he found really hard but quickly converted speed to height and remembered his best L/D speed of 55kt clean. Tomorrow he’ll be practicing some more EFATOs and donk cuts in the valley.

All this and he’s only a friggin’ 10 1/2 year old! But as I’ve often said he inherited his mum’s brain and intelligence.

Speaking of whom Ap’s recovery is nothing short of breathtaking. Very slight pain in her lower left back but she says she hardly notices it. To view her naked from all sides one would be surprised she was bashed to a bruised pulp not that long ago. The lower left bruising is still noticeable but her doc reckons that’ll be gone by the time I leave in a few days.

Spending the rest of today as a lazy bum and total burden on Thai society. The ‘shine is particularly good and Yousef really outdid himself with this batch!

Edit: RiS - hope you’re not affected too bad by the weather. Looks nasty.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12269 Post by Ibbie » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:26 am

Morning folks.

A few traces of cloud about today, temperature 15c rising to 21c they say.

Madam has parked her car nearly on the front door step, when she came in last night.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12270 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:35 am

Morning everyone, why would anybody want to take a cat on a flight?
Russian carrier Aeroflot has stripped a passenger of his air miles for breaching its rules by sneaking his overweight cat aboard a flight.
Mikhail Galin, 34, took his cat Viktor on board flight SU1702, from Moscow to Vladivostok, Aeroflot said.
Under Aeroflot's rules, pets weighing more than 8kg (17lb) must be placed in the luggage hold.
Because Viktor was too heavy for the passenger cabin, Mr Galin devised a cunning plan.
He swapped Viktor for a smaller cat during check-in to get around the weight restrictions.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12271 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am

Slasher I am fine thank you.

As a matter of fact I own about half a dozen of flash lights / torches and stocked a similar number of 1.5lt water bottles hence by the virtue of Murphy law I am protected from power and water cuts.

Woody, my little sister and her husband discovered a stray cat during their stay in an island. The cat was smart enough to disappear when sister and husband were about to kidnapped her and take her to their home. Sister called me at the office while I was recovering from a nasty cold to check if I was in good enough shape to fly out to the island commercially to pick the cat. I booked a seat for me (round-trip) and one from the island to the main land for the cat. I was even instructed by the FA (very friendly one thanks to the cat) that the cat must seat by the window and I on the aisle seat.

The cat was so mad at me that she avoided me for months after I delivered her at my sister's place.

And we have moved a cat during previous house moves.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12272 Post by Wodrick » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 am

Morning all,
Cool and windy, the local stations giving gusts 55 to 60 km/h.

Punto came in limping last night - vet soon, a job for SM as I am not Punto's fave.

I big rivered a home wx station this morning, not as good as *C16's* but it gets good reviews.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12273 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am

I may in the past have given the impression that I don't like the French. Well, for one Frenchman at least, I must correct that. This.morning my neighbour who lives opposite and above, a giant of a man, part Corsican, ex police chief from Paris, called to me "OFSO, I have some logs for you, dry, excellent quality, been in my cellar for 12 years, I'll throw them down the mountain to you." 'Some' wasn't the word for it. Beautiful logs, took an hour to retrieve and stack. At least 50 euros worth, and meant I cancelled today's planned trip with the trailer to buy firewood. He refused any money but as Mrs OFSO has been making home made chocolates for our cancelled trip to France on Friday, he will get a box of those.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12274 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:46 pm

I might have mentioned here before, but I am becoming apart of a neighbour family (as a matter of fact I dated the girl some twenty years ago) health issue handling. Currently the mother of the family (the father has the issues) keeps calling me for assistance and chat before going to bed. A sociologist friend with experience working with older people keeps saying to maintain a distance. Not sure what to do while remain polite.

It did rain here a nice steady rain.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12275 Post by ricardian » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Slasher wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 am

Can’t figure out the Pelican Squadron strategy sah. I know that’s meant to confuse the enemy as to the intended target, but with the Bat Flight compliment down to 4 operational (and asleep HJ) why a rotating aerial patrol? I don’t think they need a Big Wings with only four Luftbats to worry about.
I get annoyed when folk talk about the "Big Wing" as a wonderful idea from Leigh-Mallory & Bader. Dowding was privy to Ultra information and those two weren't. I recommend Group Captain FW Winterbotham's "The Ultra Secret", the first book that told the story of how decrypted German signals were distributed and used. From page 52 of that book
If, as Goering & Leigh-Mallory had wanted, Dowding had sent up mass formations of our own fighters, not only would they have been far less manoeuvrable in attack on the German formations, but the balance of losses, which was in our favour when small formations of RAF fighters got in amongst the massed German aircraft, would have been lost
Dowding could not reveal that he had received Ultra information as even the mention of Ultra was strictly forbidden so he had to bite his tongue when Leigh-Mallory & Bader criticised him.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12276 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Bloody hell, what a morning. I do not want to go through the details. We are OK, car is OK just administration and stupid staff meetings. If the wankers want to talk ***** to each other do it before the shop is supposed to open. 6m signatures for company annual return and mega dosh. And, perhaps immigration could smarten up their act. Every week we seem to have to start from step one again. Next week collar. jacket and tie and demand to see the Chief Immigration Officer. Will not go through the other hassle.

Pre-lunch scotch by the pool.

Wankers.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12277 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Wodrick:

Details on wx stn and a report when it is up and running please.
Mine has crapped out and I am looking for a new one.

Thanks
PP

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12278 Post by ian16th » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Rather a lot of Oh Nasty Wx coming this way tomorrow!

The Meeja is warning all to stay indoors.
Cynicism improves with age

603DX
Capt
Capt

#12279 Post by 603DX » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Visiting my son last weekend, he was keen to show me his latest leased company car, a Volvo XC90 "Plug-In Hybrid Twin Engine" model. Broadly similar to his previous petrol engined version, but with lots of jiggery-pokery with operating modes, playing silly-beggars with petrol only, hybrid, and electric only. All very clever no doubt (although my first thought was "lots more to go wrong, damn it").

But when his wife drove away to deliver my youngest granddaughter for a "sleepover" at a friend's house, the shock of the big bulky vehicle moving off and round the corner in complete silence dismayed me. I thought that it was intended that the danger to others (particularly pedestrians) due to the absence of warning engine noise was being dealt with by providing appropriate simulated mechanical noise. Have the automotive engineers not yet sorted this?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12280 Post by OFSO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Well the EU has. There will be compulsory noise-makers fitted to all new silent cars, making them non silent. Another bit of nanny state idiocy.