The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12841 Post by llondel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am

Ours will chase a plastic bag on a string, it doesn't even have to look like a rat, it just has to be moving fast. Except Faraday has figured it all out and will wait by the string until it starts moving, then she knows it's going to come whizzing by soon and is watching carefully. She even knows the sound of the lure line running round the pulleys .

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12842 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am

The sound is important, I know. My grandfather used to own and train greyhounds, and he said he worked a lot on the sound training. He won the top prize in UK greyhound racing back in the 1950s

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12843 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:08 am

Morning folks. 20 mm of rain more forecast. Internet down. Pool a mess with one very small frog in there swimming and a dead doormouse.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12844 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:08 am
a dead doormouse.
Actually it's not a dormouse. If you look very closely you will find it's a pygmy hippopotamus. :)
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12845 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am
The sound is important, I know. My grandfather used to own and train greyhounds, and he said he worked a lot on the sound training. He won the top prize in UK greyhound racing back in the 1950s
Talking of greyhounds, does anybody here remember Scurlogue Champ?

I won £20 on him at Walthamstow back in the early 80's.

And Ballyregan Bob
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12846 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:51 am

The short-sightedness part is recurring. Few months ago we discussed that dogs constantly have a sorry look on their eyes and someone said that they have it just to make us humans believe they are hungry and to feed them. A friend with a long history of dog owning stated that this sorry look is due to their short-sightedness I think they don't see well past 60 cm.

Cats are much better at chasing thinks attached on a string.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12847 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am

Howling gale, torrential rain, dark as night at 08:30. Onshore wind so 4-5m waves. Sunseekers straining upwards on their moorings as a low moves in.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12848 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:24 am

SWMBO has decided she's going off to Lincoln to do some "private shopping". :-s Have just looked at the bank account so I can remember what it used to look like.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Slasher

#12849 Post by Slasher » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:24 am

The capability of having sad puppy-dog eyes RiS is key ingredient in canine survival for certain domesticated mutts and fleabags dependent on humans, especially if their owners are women, i.e. the Artificial Selection ‘cuteness’ factor.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12850 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 am

Our Scottie is an inveterate looker. When she wants something she tried staring in my eyes from rather closer than her nose permits. 😊

She certainly has keen hearing. She will lie abed in the far corner of the house and only wander through after breakfast is served. Tea time OTOH she will nudge and kick the back of your knees. Sound is certainly a key sense.

By day she will signal the arrival of the post van by ear movement alone. At night however she puts on a big dog bark. In walk she will stare at a metal wicket gate from half a mile away but probably focusing audio reception for dogs coming in.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12851 Post by Wodrick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am

Morning all,

Bit of high cloud (>10,000') but sunny. Cool14c at present, overnight just in double figures.

Internet down last night for about three hours maybe more and seemingly widespread as the met radar was down at the same time.
Back to normal now.

All tests on SM negative but she still oozes and don't heal. Next test is a MRI but after the scanner broke down there is a backlog.
Appointment is 13 Dec I think.

No postal vote papers received as yet, academic really as our MP is that Esther McVey person (Con maj 14,000 and change)
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12852 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

1) Know someone who got a person with an infection into a hyperbaric chamber in between stopping divers getting bends. O2 kills off bacteria. One might make a simple cover for the wound and feed O2 from a cylinder. Ask at pharmacy. 2) Mrs OFSO suffers from a stress-triggered bacterial acne resistant to drugs, however a medical LED lamp (blue and red) stops it. Made by Lumie in Cambridge.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12853 Post by Ibbie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am

I have assembled new puter chair and am sat on it for this inaugural post.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12854 Post by om15 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:06 am

My second car is a Fiat Panda 1,1 eco, used for running around in, allotment, skip, pubs and so on, recently developed a couple of faults, the clock keeps flashing and going to zero, and on start the RPM increases to loud and hunts back and forth before settling down.
The cause was a u/s battery, it seems that low volts on start makes the ecu give more fuel, that was the clue, handy tip for the day.

Pictures this afternoon, "Official Secrets" with the pleasant Keira Knightly, pie for tea.

Royal Mail have electronically advised that my Black and Decker workmate spares are arriving today, that is something to look forward to, plus I have decided to replace my battery charger which I think might not be working, it was bought in 1979 so not bad, Screwfix sell a 6V/12V charger for £14.99, I think that Screwfix is a great shop.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12855 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am

Those (brilliant) Workmates do tend to unscrew themselves with time without it being noticed. I think mine went about 45 years (UK, Germany, Spain) before I noticed it was almost falling apart and set about it with spanners. Very scarred now but indespensible.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12856 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am

Internet technicians have arrived. Scratching heads and phone calls to HQ. Lady driving and bashing away on her computer. Chap opened the gate and now standing there doing nothing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12857 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:59 am

My Workmate is a mere 40 years old - Mrs 4ma bought it as a pressie the first Xmas after we got wed. Apart from some chunks out of the wooden vice jaws where the saw/chisels have ...errrr.."slipped", it's still all in one piece. Still got the four black vice pegs as well. :-bd
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12858 Post by ian16th » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm

I have a pair of wooden steps that I bought c1965.

Soon after buying them I realised that they had been assembled on 'the cheap'.

The cost saving had been done in the main by using screws, nuts and bolts that were too small and too few.
I replaced, and supplemented all of these fasteners with ones that I considered adequate for the job.

The steps still work, and support my rather increased weight :D
Cynicism improves with age

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12859 Post by ricardian » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm

An old friend who retired from teaching up here 3 or 4 years ago has been staying with me for a few days. Her two-year old terrier has tried to terrorize my cat but has been very unsuccessful. So far the cat is unscathed but the terrier has a few scratches on his nose and one ear has received a minor bite. My friend was due to head south on this evening's ferry to Kirkwall and then on to Aberdeen but the weather is turning bad and the ferry company have put all sailings "under review".
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12860 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 pm

Internet fixed. 80 km round journey 4 man hours. Goodness knows how much that is going to cost. Needed a reset. Not a simple unplug re-plug it was a settings thing. Perhaps the lightening had upset it. They had just left and I noticed the solar remote monitoring was not working. Got them to turn back. Then it came back on (guess a time thing) told them to turn around again. They came here a most interesting route through the bush. Think they were lost. Anyway they were driving a tank like thing so no problem.

This has all resulted in a very late lunch.

Our Welsh Border Collie would go for frogs (of course) chaps (or girls) with beards, children and fat people. She also got beaten up by a few cats.