The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#15001 Post by om15 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 am

Best wishes to those poorly, seems quite a number of us are falling apart.

Bright this morning, going for a walk, sea bass for tea.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#15002 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am

Morning folks, blazing sunshine, lagoon is looking very sad. It may very well dry up. Four hours of watering the garden this morning. Started using the genny but then managed on solar.

Every time I make 'er a cup of tea I wonder why people put milk in tea and coffee. It is not natural. Scotch yes but not milk. Who ever though about it, and why? What relationship is there between a cow and tea leaves and coffee beans? They eat grass not tea leaves or coffee beans. I hate the stuff.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15003 Post by Fliegenmong » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 am

I do not disagree with you Ex-Ascot!, milk in tea (and coffee) always seemed odd to me...

Locally the drought has broke, green stuff growing everywhere, ground is sodden, sun comesw out and steams the place like a Sauna, then it rains, then the Sun is back, then it's cloudy...

..I't ain't climate change .. it's a typical miserable February in South East Queensland, and it will be like this until the end of March at least..
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

603DX
Capt
Capt

#15004 Post by 603DX » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am

Every time I make 'er a cup of tea I wonder why people put milk in tea and coffee. It is not natural. Scotch yes but not milk. Who ever though about it, and why? What relationship is there between a cow and tea leaves and coffee beans? They eat grass not tea leaves or coffee beans. I hate the stuff.
As a former "Milk Monitor" on a rota during the primary school years, responsible for piercing the foil caps with a knitting needle for straw insertion, I have no aversion to milk per se. That was back when every school child was provided with a one third of a pint bottle per day, by a government which believed that it did you good.

But I agree that the habit of adding milk to hot drinks seems odd. The fact that I generally do it has more to do with it acting as a temperature regulator, to avoid oral scalding from impatiently taking the first sip of just-boiled tea or instant coffee.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15005 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:36 pm

I heard that cold milk was poured into fine china cups before the boiling tea was added - to prevent the fine china from cracking.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15006 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm

603DX wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm
That was back when every school child was provided with a one third of a pint bottle per day, by a government which believed that it did you good.
I have memories of it being introduces as a supplement to 'The Rations', during or just after WWII.
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15007 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm
603DX wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm
That was back when every school child was provided with a one third of a pint bottle per day, by a government which believed that it did you good.
I have memories of it being introduces as a supplement to 'The Rations', during or just after WWII.
dates back to the Labour government of 1946.
The idea was to give children an extra nutritional boost at a time when food was in short supply and rationed.
Along with concentrated orange juice and cod-liver oil and rose-hip syrup.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15008 Post by Ibbie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Milk in tea.
Milk in coffee.

Both no-nos for me.

I have had my ears lowered this afternoon.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15009 Post by Magnus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 pm

When Maggie was Education Secretary, she be came known as Thatcher the Milk Snatcher when school milk was discontinued.

Regarding 603's post, nursing mothers were provided with a bottle/tin of sweet stout (Sweetheart in Scotland, Mackeson dahn sarf) as it apparently did good. Now as, in my advancing years, I develop a fine set of moobs, can I claim my allowance?

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#15010 Post by izod tester » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:01 pm

IT sprog no 1 was born in PMRAF Hospital Halton in 1976. Mrs IT was issued with a tin of Mackeson each day. Only one other mother in the ward liked stout, so they shared it all between them. I was told to bring in some babycham to mix with it. They stayed in hospital for a week then. Sproglet No 3 was evicted from hospital after just 24 hours!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15011 Post by Wodrick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 pm

*Ibbie's* post

Repeat in full, cept don't drink T much if ever.

Why Macky not Gwince ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15012 Post by ian16th » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:47 pm

It seems that it started in 1944.

The removal of milk by two Labour Secretaries of State seems to have been completely ignored by the Thatcher haters.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15013 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Remember probably in the 60s 90% of crew rooms would serve NATO Standard, is Coffee, milk, two sugars.

Come the 90s our coffee bar ritual was:

Coffee - caff or decaf, black or white
Milk - no, full fat, semi, skinned, powdered
Sugar - no, white, brown, canderella, saccharinewhite

Same with tea.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15014 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:31 pm
Remember probably in the 60s 90% of crew rooms would serve NATO Standard, is Coffee, milk, two sugars.

Come the 90s our coffee bar ritual was:

Coffee - caff or decaf, black or white
Milk - no, full fat, semi, skinned, powdered
Sugar - no, white, brown, canderella, saccharinewhite

Same with tea.
What? no latte?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15015 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Not in the late 80s early 90s.

By mid 90s I visited SHAPE, the greasy spoon served everything from espresso up. Perfect for reducing work rate as it took so long to get served.

Mentioning SHAPE brought a memory to mind. In 1964, new to my first squadron, I had a nuclear weapons check from another Nav. He was posted shortly after. 30 years later I walked into the SHAPE restaurant, saw him sitting eating and instantly recognized him and recalled his name. Chance.

Another occasion I went into the Star Chef at Geilenkirchen, a NATO base with no RAF personnel on base. On a coat peg a battered SD Cap. I recognized it instantly, went in and sure enough the owner was there dining. Had to be the only officer in the RAF which such a hat. It had been 4 years at least I had seen him.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15016 Post by barkingmad » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Whoopi Goldberg tea for me please. Black none. When you visit anybody and ask for tea, there’s the chance you’ll get full fat milk, semi-skimmed, skimmed, UHT (yuk!) or dried. All of which might be added to your bevvy out of sight. Then some of the liquid milk varieties may be on the ‘turn’ so the risk of a ghastly cuppa is dramatically increased. And your seating position in the parlour of your hosts might not be near the aspidistra potplant reducing the chances of discreetly decanting the revolting cuppa into it’s parched soil.
The lovely young lass in the tea plantation in Sri Lanka also recommended black none as otherwise the basic flavour of the tea was spoilt. Also she advocated a cup of hot black tea to wash down a strong curry. The British habit of sluicing our Vindaloo’s etc with ice cold lager is regarded as pure masochism, though not on the “Fifty Shades” level.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#15017 Post by bob2s » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 pm

My aversion to milk came when I started school,in those day's milk was supplied to every child in the from of 1/2 pint every school day.The reason for my hatred of milk came from it being delivered to the school early morning and left out side in the sun to fester till it was delivered for drinking at morning recess,the taste to say the least was putrid and the teacher's stood over us till it was consumed in it's entirety to the accompanying sound of bottles being dropped accidentally when the teachers eyes were averted.

\Another thing is why do they call almond (water,oil,pulp,or whatever the get out of an almond) milk? Never seen tits on an almond!

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#15018 Post by jimtherev » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm

PN wrote:jimtherev, do you offer discount for ON?
Sorry, I'm obviously in one of my stoopid moods. Not understand ON... but I'm sure we can work something out.
and 4Mas I wonder indeed if we will be able to run trains at all tomorrow. DMU day, and our little Derby lightweight doesn't like running into tree trunks very much. I'll get a recce done when I get there.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15019 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 pm

ON - O-N - Ops-Normal . . .

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15020 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 am

Gave up milk and sugar when flying World wide routes and staying in hotels that, in those days, didn't provide hot water jug and associated tea, coffee, milk and sugar etc. I had the inevitable crew resource, the "dipstick", a small electric coil that would boil a cup of water, so carrying a small jar of instant coffee, or a few tea bags was no problem, milk was not available of course, and sugar always spilled in the suitcase, however carefully packed, so was soon abandoned.

For the same reason my favourite "drink" became Scotch, didn't need any associated 'mixers', as Gin or Rum, drink neat, or with ( a little) water. Keep it easy.

Nowadays - Mrs. ExS brews filter coffee far too strong for me, so rather than adulterate her breweed coffee by diluting it with water, I use the used filter containing the soaked coffee grounds a second time, just right. Also Coffee shop Barristers hate me, I order a single shot with extra water. Some understand and say - "Do you mean an Americano ". In view of Mrs. ExS's, and her friends, American background and love of extra strong coffee, I find this name for weaker coffee puzzling ? 'tis a puzzlement, said Alice.