The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#16121 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:12 pm

C16, dog food indeed seems to becoming scarce. We use James Wellbeloved to supplement the chicken our dog eats - chicken is cheaper. Noticed her grain free vegetables one was a bit thin on the shelf the other day.

Next due 3 bags from Amazon next week so ordered an extra a week back. Thought to increase this to 4 bags in April - out of stock. Searched around and found a 10kg bag 'only 3 left'. We would have been stuck if we had waited and not got our supply.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16122 Post by handsfree » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:18 am

Glad that I don't have the worry of getting my hands on grub for a beloved pet.
It's bad enough getting essentials for humans here. Still have to hunt around for
some staples.

Still cold here, +3C. Not quite light yet but looks as though it is overcast
and has that feel of rain not far away. No matter as I wasn't going anywhere
for at least another 11 weeks. My Renal Nurse came to see me yesterday to
help with a problem I'd been having. He said they're struggling a bit on the Unit
as so many staff are on enforced sickness.

Hope everybody is keeping well and not having murderous or suicidal thoughts
due to overwhelming circumstances.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16123 Post by Ibbie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:35 am

Morning all

No rain at the moment and blue sky trying to get seen together with sun.

Was talking with Mr and MrsTbF yesterday. Both are ok you will be pleased to hear. However, they and daughter are in at risk groups so staying home and having trouble in getting deliveries from the large supermarkets. No slots available for weeks is all he hears. Has asked some stores if he can order and pay on line and then he will send a taxi to collect his order. Jobsworths come up with "Oh no sir. Can't do that sir." "not allowed" and similar excuses and refusals. At least he has a local farm shop who are supplying some items and deliver.
He has sent a missive to the MD of one of the miscreant firms asking why they can't do as he requests if they can't deliver themselves.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16124 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:42 am

Good day April fool free and an excellent month.

One of the advantage living in a block of flats it that you can easily contact an elderly neighbour to check if they need something from the food store.

Nice weather here the sun is present although weather guessers estimate it will be gone soon.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16125 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 am

Some communities have volunteers that are offering to shop for self-isolators. My daughter is a coordinator for her community.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16126 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:26 am

G CPTN, a neighbour and our daughter does that. Unfortunately our daughter's last click and collect slot is tomorrow. After that it will be join the queue.

Ibbie, your proposal is 'click and college's albeit a 3rd party collector. C&C slots aren't available either. ASDA seems to be release slots one day at a time. I bet there are nighthawks hitting the reserve button at 0000.01.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16127 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:46 am

We are lucky. We have a relative who works at Sons of Morris; they do our shopping and deliver to the house at the end of their shift.

Had a bad dream last night - Dianne Abbott had been elected as Labour leader with eleventy seven and five quarters percent of the vote.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rossian
Capt
Capt

What is it with politicians....?

#16128 Post by Rossian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 am

.....of whatever nationality and of whatever political persuasion.
They all seem to suffer from the same delusion - "I've said it so it must have happened..." In UK "We have delivered (big big numbers of PPE ) all over the country". So why are NHS workers all over the country saying that they can't get a hold of it? Where are these millions of masks etc - where are they?
Where are all the tests that they have been promising for days "soon". The pols just duck the occasional hard question about testing and move to the next reporter. (Who ususally wants to know if the front man is going to apologise for blah blah... whatever)
I've just been reading about the captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt who wrote a four page thesis on why he needed to get C-19 sufferers off his ship into some form of quarantine. He's parked off GuamSec of Defense says "He doesn't need to evacuate the ship", (from the comfort of Washington) "er no, I haven't read the full letter".
The one politician who has impressed a bit is Andrew Cuomo mayor of NY. Yesterday he floated the rhetorical question "Why are all 50 states bidding against and outbidding the other 49 thereby pushing up the price of Ventilators? It's like being on EBay. And even more, why is FEMA coming in at the last minute and outbidding ALL of them? And now I (AC) can't buy ventilators?? How did we come to create such a system as being a Good Thing?"
How have we, as electorates, put in positions of power and control people who don't know how to do anything really ( lawyers and PPE graduates who are very clever but possess no common sense, oh and **** accountants) and allow them to denigrate people who actually DO know how to do stuff?
Have we had a collective failure of our own commonsense?
So many questions but I'm afraid I don't have any answers. I may have to have a cup of coffee and a lie down.

The Ancient Mariner

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16129 Post by ian16th » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:13 am

Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#16130 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:20 am

I could be wrong but my understanding is no, because the flow is Eastwards. Botswana gets its water from Angola.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16131 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:31 am

2 Aug 2019:-

The entire south western part of the Okavango Delta is as dry as a bone. The annual flood from the Okavango's catchment was at its lowest levels this year. The low water found empty rivers and it is unlikely that the trickle will reach Maun this year. ... The Thaoge River flow into Lake Ngami died in the mid-1900s.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16132 Post by ian16th » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:24 pm

What is going over Vic falls today, fell as rain somewhere in the Congo/Zambia area weeks ago. Some of that rainfall surely fell in Angola and is draining towards Bots.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16133 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm

"Squiffy pussy lifting her bottom"... Never has a drought been more like 'Carry On Up the Thamalakane'!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16134 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:48 pm

OK, this water system is very complex and tectonic movements every year changes things. Even hippos opening up new channels in the Delta can make a difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okavango_Delta

There is a channel off the Zambezi which comes our way but as Cape says most of the water that goes over the falls goes east. We get our water from Angola. It has been tipping it down up there for months. There are monitoring stations all through the Delta. We have a big flood coming it is currently 80 kms north of us. 40 kms north of town. We are hopeful. The Delta tipped to the east a few months ago. This is to our benefit.

Lake Ngami is fed by two rivers. The Thaoge which feeds off an western tributary out of the Delta and the Thamalakane which splits just after Maun to go down to Lake Ngami and into the Boteti which we are on. It all depends on how much water is soaked in from the flood as it comes through town if we get any of it.

If you look at the map in the link we are on the river running SE out of town. The first significant bend 40 kms out which is our lagoon/pond.
"Squiffy pussy lifting her bottom"... Never has a drought been more like 'Carry On Up the Thamalakane'!

Indeed GG.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16135 Post by ian16th » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Knowing the subtle difference between tectonic and tektronix helps o:-)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16136 Post by Wodrick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 am

Morning all,
8c and pissing down Raining very hard. Radar shows it looking like rain for a long time.
Dogs out at 0800, they are not supposed to like rain.

Military out and about yesterday accompanying the Local Police.
Will be doing a big shop today, we run out of things and need fresh veg etc.

Looking out of the pool door, it would seem I will be draining some off the pond when this rain stops, about 2cm from overflow now.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16137 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 am

Guten Morgan from Festung London. No sun today. Have to get out and do a Big Shop either at M&S or Waitrose.
An inbound 777 from JFK just went over us. Wonder how many infected on board. Not IF but HOW MANY.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16138 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am

Very quiet for a Sunday morning, windless and sunny

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16139 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am
Very quiet for a Sunday morning, windless and sunny
You are the second person today to suggest that today is Sunday - had me checking whether I had overslept.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16140 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:21 am

Our cleaner said her two teenage daughters were disputing who should do the family ironing. Ended up both doing it together. Not enough household jobs to go around.