The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#17741 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:17 am

On the way back from Aldi shopping, called in at the Natural Pet Food store to get some beef brisket bones for the hound. Lady says "Ain't got any beef, only got Llama". Straight up. Don't think Myf has ever been to South America, so don't know whether she will like Llama brisket bones.

Put a couple of pieces in the microwave to defrost to try. Wouldn't have thought they would kill enough Llamas for the dog bone industry. Will post later for results.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17742 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 am

A local guy has developed from 3 alpacas to 300.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17743 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 am

Morning. 17c and blue, heading for plus24c, we are lead to believe.

Will try to wash the desert that fell disguised as rain, Sunday night, off the cars this morning.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17744 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:05 am

Morning folks. Have been trying to avoid topping up the pool with borehole water (mucho iron). Haven't cleaned out the filter for months. Did it today, now all a bit murky after top up. Hoping that next time we will have lagoon water. No reports on the flood progress hopefully with us in two weeks. The secondary flood, currently mid delta, is also reported to be strong

Not so chilly in the mornings recently
Ibbie wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 am
Will try to wash the desert that fell disguised as rain, Sunday night, off the cars this morning.
We get desert 'in' the cars. Really annoys me when locals don't bang the sand off their shoes before getting in. We have the red rain problem on Amorgos. It always occurs when you have just white washed your house and have to do it again. Our house is painted in acrylic so it just washes off.

VC10 v C130 noise. Two points I guess. Engine positions and the VC10 was designed as a passenger airliner whereas the C130 was built for transporting freight, on pallets or SL.

RIS, yep I am having problems with your n+2n as well. Can't find 'n' on the calculator.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17745 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 am

"Can't find 'n' on the calculator."

On mine it is above a button, along with the letter 'O'. :))

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17746 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 am

G'day,
Morning broke in the same way as the other side, when I became conscious it was 22c and looking to be a pleasant day.
It has clouded over and is down to 19c and still cooling.

Taking RAV for a verdict on if it is worth repair later.
I still don't know where to draw the line.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17747 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 am

Living in at Brize, one knew when a VC10 was about, especially the o4-FS departure to Dulles . A Herc barely disturbed. In the early 70s, there were quite a few complaints from the surrounding villages about the noise from the 10s; the Belfasts and Brits barely raise an eyebrow.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17748 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:05 am

Delivered the car for the maintenance before the bi-annual technical control. They need to change two back absorbers immediately and the two first one in some time.

I have fallen asleep on a C-130 so I am not sure it can be classified as a noisy aircraft.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17749 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 am
Living in at Brize, one knew when a VC10 was about, especially the o4-FS departure to Dulles . A Herc barely disturbed. In the early 70s, there were quite a few complaints from the surrounding villages about the noise from the 10s; the Belfasts and Brits barely raise an eyebrow.
My dear chap, a wonderful sound. Used to hear them departing 6 miles away in Ramsden. In my latter role they would only wake me up when they didn't take off then I would get up and wait for the phone call. We were on a hill just to the north of Brize. At about 17.00 on a Friday we had one come right over the top at 500' doing about 300 kts. Rattled all the roof tiles. I had the Captain in my office 08.00 on the Monday. Apparently they were running late for happy hour. Couldn't argue with that. :YMPARTY:

Anyway, wasn't the discussion about the decibel level inside? The flight deck on the Andover was noisier.

RiS:
I have fallen asleep on a C-130 so I am not sure it can be classified as a noisy aircraft.
You did not fall asleep RiS, you were shaken into unconsciousness.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17750 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am
My dear chap, a wonderful sound. ...........

Anyway, wasn't the discussion about the decibel level inside? The flight deck on the Andover was noisier............
The survey covered C130 engine ground runs. A little light reading if you get bored with the hooch testing sessions.

C130 EGR Noise Assessment Technical Report

Couldn't agree with more about the sound sah! T'was indeed a wonderful sound and hard to choose between Conway and Olympus which was more wonderful, although I think the Olympus 593 might have edged it when it came to bouncing cups along our tea bar counter.

More evidence that this country is going down the sh!tter. Scrotes that have trashed heritage railway carriages at the Midland Railway Centre - the Reverend Jim needs to get his bell, book and candles out to deal with the bastids.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

belfrybat
Snr FO
Snr FO

#17751 Post by belfrybat » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:38 pm

"Can't find 'n' on the calculator."

On mine it is above a button, along with the letter 'O'. :))
Can't see any 'No' button on mine.

fin
Capt
Capt

#17752 Post by fin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm

It was said (and mostly believed) that if the Concord SST had been flown by Lufthansa and Alitalia, the Queens residents would be saying "what noise"?
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17753 Post by ian16th » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:11 pm

fin wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm
It was said (and mostly believed) that if the Concord SST had been flown by Lufthansa and Alitalia, the Queens residents would be saying "what noise"?
When I was in Atlanta, a Concorde visited. The local kicked up a hell of a lot of anti feeling, that I am sure would not have happened if it had been a product of Boeing, Lockheed or Douglas.
Cynicism improves with age

reddo
Capt
Capt

#17754 Post by reddo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:13 pm

Escaped from Russia.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17755 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm

Reddo, along with UP you are one of the members here with a life worth reading on a book.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17756 Post by ricardian » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
My dear chap, a wonderful sound. Used to hear them departing 6 miles away in Ramsden. In my latter role they would only wake me up when they didn't take off then I would get up and wait for the phone call. We were on a hill just to the north of Brize. At about 17.00 on a Friday we had one come right over the top at 500' doing about 300 kts. Rattled all the roof tiles. I had the Captain in my office 08.00 on the Monday. Apparently they were running late for happy hour. Couldn't argue with that. :YMPARTY:

Anyway, wasn't the discussion about the decibel level inside? The flight deck on the Andover was noisier.

RiS:
After a few years on 38 Group and travelling to various exercises via C-130 the powers-that-be decided that the noise was damaging our hearings so we were all issued with ear defenders - these were small plastic things like hearing aids but without the electronics. A few months later the same powers-that-be decided that firing the SLR could damage your hearing so we had to wear ear defenders when on the range (this is after several years of using the range without ear defenders). I am now deaf in one ear and have reduced sensitivity in the other ear, most likely caused not by C-139 or SLR but by 30 years of wearing headphones and listening to Morse & other strange noises as a Radio Officer with GCHQ.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17757 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:

RiS:
A good explanation..

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#17758 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:21 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:56 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:

More evidence that this country is going down the sh!tter. Scrotes that have trashed heritage railway carriages at the Midland Railway Centre - the Reverend Jim needs to get his bell, book and candles out to deal with the bastids.
Yes, was pretty gutted when I heard this. Fortunately not revenue-earning or even 'roadworthy' at present. But yes, it wasn't just glass that's gone this time, but window-surrounds and other woodwork... and wood doesn't grow on trees, you know (as my woodwork master used to say).

What I really was worried about was the complete de-commissioned train we've just acquired from Greater Anglia. Up-to-date coaches ready to run. If the sods had attacked them we would have been seriously fed up.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17759 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:48 pm

..........and Brits barely raise an eyebrow.

The Whispering Giant ? ( 'cos it had f**kall to shout about ? - as the saying went )

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17760 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:39 am

For hearing destroying aircraft, I nominate the 'Bongo Van.' :-q

Otherwise known as the BN2. The Britten Norman Islander.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.