The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18661 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 am

PN:
I always wondered how Brize managed to stop transit officers exercising their honorary Mess membership rights.
It is called 'Movers' they want to keep all pax together. Stayed there once and I can't remember why. Perhaps there was a station exercise.

Had to fly to AKT from Lyneham in a C130 once during Gulf War. Do not know how it happened to me my ops staff used to ensure it didn't. Thing went tech. Movers tried to send us all to the airmen's mess for lunch. Told them that my officers were going to the OM. They said that they couldn't guarantee to contact us and we may miss the flight =)) Did I give a fvck!? Unfortunately we didn't.

Once had an exercise down in Aden in think. Our USAF exchange Major was sent down by C130 to pick up a VC10. Flight back was cancelled and he had to get straight back on the C130 to the UK. He was not amused. We were there for a few nights, they tried to put us in tents and alcohol was banned. I managed to get us into accommodation at an American construction site with a bar. The fighter jockeys were not happy. If you fly around in grow bags instead of blues what do you expect.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18662 Post by Woody » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:36 am

With reference to the above posts =)) =))

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18663 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm

Afternoon all,
warming nicely now, 32c and still climbing, although it should start to cool soon.

One of the Wx underground stations near Sevillia is registering 47c but I think that is in error.
Plenty of 42c and 43c around there though.

We have received a pair of bedside cabinets from the UK. they got locked down in South Wales and came on the first operating ferry.

Now to chase el bank, UK for non delivery of Credit Card again.

At my Spanish Bank this morning it is one person inside at a time. I was waiting outside, no shelter, for 40mins.
a 3 minute transaction. ludicrous.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Capetonian

#18664 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm

I was in Sevilla once in August and the street temperature panels were registering 45-48', and at midnight I walked back to my hotel from Triana and it was in the high 30s.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18665 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm

At my (...) Bank this morning it is one person inside at a time. I was waiting outside, no shelter, for 40mins.
a 3 minute transaction. ludicrous.
I had to go at my bank to ask about a standing order not being implemented correctly but I preferred to drop a written request and avoid a similar experience.

Capetonian

#18666 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I have a bank account with a bank which I have never been into.

My main UK bank account is in Jersey. I used to go in to have tea with my lovely Northern Irish CRM, since she left I think I've been in there twice.
In one piece of idiocy, I went in to to deposit a cheque for about £70 from HMRC. On the way out I was stopped by a burly security officer with an earpiece on a curly wire (=twat) who said he needed to 'ask me about the transaction I'd just made'. He then asked me who the cheque was from, I said 'HMRC'. He then asked me who HMRC is. I thought it was some of joke and told him so, at which I got the 'abuse' speech.

I have an account with a UK mainland bank. I've been in twice, once to open the account, and once to change about 5 kilos of coins I'd found in a suitcase. They had one of those machines that you just chuck the lot into.

I've been into my Irish bank twice too, once to open the account, and once when they rang me and said should they post my new credit card or would I collect it. As I was going to be in Dublin the next week I collected it.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18667 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Temperature:

Not for a few years now but when we were living in our Frigiliana apartment (no a/c) there were four days when the minimum was 39c - difficult sleeping !

Banks:

I await my third replacement credit card, they are just not coming. I have just been 40 minutes establishing that they don't know my address !
I don't have a valid debit or credit card for my UK accounts.
Can't be done on the phone I have to write. I would change if I could but of course I can't.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18668 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Back from seeing if Ed ok with the dog who lives at local dog friendly restaurant.

Successful visit.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18669 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Never been in my bank ever. It is an Internet only bank. Maybe speak to a human being every 2-3 years. Occasional text message a couple of times per year. Online chat facility is available. Perfect.

Their new security procedures were a pain. After a lot of bitching they have simplified it.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

One of those dead dog posts, I'm sorry to say

#18670 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Guard Dog Numbah One has been unwell for about half a year. Circa January he was very poorly. Listless and clearly unwell.

House Dog, a Border Collie who would be a Nurse Practitioner if human, had very clearly indicated to me, with her nose and with a paw, the exact locus of what ailed GD1. It was on one side, at the aft end of the ribcage. She wasn't wrong. He recovered, or perhaps I should say, went into remission.

This morning I took GD1 to the vet and had to make that awful decision. It was an aggressive tumour on the liver, exactly where HD had 'said'. Operable, but with little prospect of a successful outcome. No prospect of a normal active life, even if the op routed out the cancer.

The decision wasn't difficult, just sad. He was a little over nine years old and he'd had a good life. He was greatly admired by all who met him. Much feared too, by some!

I have GD2 & GD3, who will not be renumbered. GD3, who's just a pup, is distraught. He and GD1 had bonded instantly and were practically inseparable. HD is doing the motherly consoling thing as she understands his loss.

The reason why I don't give the names of the dogs on the forum is because I know that a dog-savvy burglar or other thief could delay or confuse a dog by knowing its name and giving the semi-secret police dog handling commands which I have been taught to use.

After supper there'll be Macallan consumed. I'm not going to get maudlin or anything, but I'll recall happy memories of GD1. He was a good 'un.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18671 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Sympathy from us both. We've said goodbye to both dogs and cats. Some of which we, as responsible animal friends, sent off to the next life to spare them pain. Never easy but has to be done.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18672 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Sympathies Plum. :(
I am facing that decision with one dog and one cat. =((
The dog is almost mostly blind and deaf, but still makes it outside (most of the time) and eats well. Mostly she just sleeps (under my bed).
Cat adopted me and acts more like a dog. He is wasting away and vet can do nothing but treat symptoms, not cost effective.
He seems to be in no distress so he is just living out his time.
It's a decision I'm not looking forward to, second guessing even now.It would be nice if they decided for me and just forget to wake up one morning.

PP

Capetonian

#18673 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 pm

So sorry UP.

I'll just say ...... enjoy the Macallan and give him a good send off.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18674 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Very sad but you have done the right thing, No Macallan here but I'll raise a glass of what I have.

ribrash

#18675 Post by ribrash » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:53 pm

Very sad news UP.Raising a glass as I type.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18676 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:43 pm

It is always sad UP. We had a retired police dog that we had to let go after he attacked me. He was very apologetic but we could not take the risk.

Before that though, in case there was an actual event that alerted the dog accidentally we were told the watch phrase = naughty boys

reddo
Capt
Capt

#18677 Post by reddo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 pm

UP... oof tough for you.

For those who use Revolut, pretty much all aircrew use it. Love the product.

Busy tour. Finished with facilitating a CRM Indoc class to 2 new hires for our sister company. Very interesting pilots.
^:)^

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18678 Post by EA01 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Sorry to hear UP...very sad.

Perhaps not the same as a dog or cat, but a beloved fish of mine went 'Fins Up' earlier in the year, and had I not had him for near on 10 years it would not have upset me as much...

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18679 Post by ricardian » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:39 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:19 pm
ricardian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 pm
Trip to Kirkwall today and an appointment with the podiatrist. First visit to town and first podiatrist appointment since the end of February. What a difference it makes to have well-trimmed feet! It felt just like walking on air. Well worth the ferry trip (2 hours each way) but such a pity that all the hostelries were firmly shut, even the restaurant in the hospital was closed. Managed to survive on a packet of crisps & a bar of chocolate.
No cans of lager? That must be really tough!
These days I'm almost teetotal. Since Mrs R was "promoted to glory" in 2014 I've ceased brewing beer - in my book drinking alone and brewing your own ale is not a good combination, a decision reached after several unfortunate "incidents". I do keep a few cans in the fridge and 2 or 3 bottles of wine in the kitchen but often go for weeks without a drop passing my lips.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18680 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:51 am

Up early due to blocked nose while horizontal. Get up, nose clears.
OFSOs to hairdressers today. Last visit was February 5th.