The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18821 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:34 am

lars; What was the Two Seater you were 'griding' in? An ASK 21 or something a bit more advanced?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#18822 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:53 am

You're right. K21. However, if it all falls together, we might have a Duo Discus tomorrow.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18823 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 pm

0700 39 C X( :((

Shaving:
Yesterday for the first time in nearly 50 years of shaving, I tried to scrape off two weeks worth of grey fuzz with a straight razor. Not a good outcome. ~X( Don't know if it was the blade not sharp enough (new and sharpened by the seller), or user technique (or lack thereof). Chickened out before opening throat. [-X

PP

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18824 Post by boing » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 pm

I picked up what looks like a plain old double-edged blade razor at an antique store. The sort of razor we all knew as young ones where you take it apart, fit the double-edged blade and go to work. This razor does a great job on any amount of beard and good blades are still available. I also have a modern replaceable head razor. The old razor will work on anything but it is a little more time consuming to put into service and then clean up. The modern razor is quick to use and does a good job but it is uncomfortable to use on anything more than a two day stubble.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18825 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 pm

boing, interesting description regarding the disposable razor although I am not sure if it is valid. Maybe it has to do with the growth of face hair.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18826 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Beer time, all tasks completed + water deposit filled back to 90,000lt and just finishing the fourth loop of irrigation.
Snake and Pygmy in the oven slowly, slowly so a sit for a bit.

I find disposables too light much prefer my Mach3 turbo.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18827 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm

My old man got a blade sharpener in Japan. Small plastic box, you opened it, poped the blade on, closed it and then 'stropped' it pulling it up and down a cord. I think he could get 2 weeks to a month out of it. Ideal as a seaman not knowing where you could buy another packet.

Anyone remember a wire razor in the early 70s. It had a. cartridge that held the wire or ribbon. When blunt you just wound to the next one.

I used to sell them in the Mess shop at Akrotiri. I got the cheaper than NAAFI for a lock down town.

Anyway, there had been a big meeting of holders of VCs in London. The Gurka and Indians were flown home in a 10 and the officers visited the Mess. This Gurka officer had found this new razor in UK but had not been able to buy blades and didn't think he could get them in Nepal. He bought my entire stock of 25.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18828 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:06 pm

A nice thunderstorm this arvo after we got home from church and lunch at Silvia's restaurant. Two Ricards and a chupito put my rib pain to sleep !

reddo
Capt
Capt

#18829 Post by reddo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:15 pm

MTBing done. :D One slight wobble. But a fun day out none the less. One other participant had a minor off.The ol' look where you want to go - not what you want to hit. Nothing major fortunately. Just some scrapes.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18830 Post by ricardian » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:41 pm

jimtherev wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 pm
organ.gifMore than a bit fed up tonight. The morning started not badly, then we set forth to do a bit of church wheelin and deelin. Thing is, we've got this electronic organ, but it replaces an earlier pipe organ, and because (a) it would have cost money to remove the pipes and make good and (b) they looked pretty and fooled most people, they were left in place. With me so far?
Well now, we're moving out 'cos Derby City are knocking down the church to build a new slum, and the organ pipes won't fit into our new place. So 'er and me went off to see our local Steptoe and Son to do a bit of dealing, having squeezed one of the smaller pipes into the car. (the one missing from the picture.)
Long story short, one of the customers of the equally-dodgy garage next door was a bit anxious to get away (I didn't ask) and left me with a scratch down the portside of my car. "Don't worry, mate. Ask 'im at the garage to put it right. I'll pay. Here's me card. See ya." And off he went.
Seems genuine if a bit slap-dash.
And Mr Steptoe hasn't decided if he wants to buy about 80 kilos of lead-tin alloy, either.

A not very satisfactory morning. Almost worthy of a rant.
Have you got a diocesan organ advisor or a tame organ tuner in the area? Shame to scrap good pipes
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18831 Post by ricardian » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:46 pm

boing wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 pm
I picked up what looks like a plain old double-edged blade razor at an antique store. The sort of razor we all knew as young ones where you take it apart, fit the double-edged blade and go to work. This razor does a great job on any amount of beard and good blades are still available. I also have a modern replaceable head razor. The old razor will work on anything but it is a little more time consuming to put into service and then clean up. The modern razor is quick to use and does a good job but it is uncomfortable to use on anything more than a two day stubble.
I still have my grandfather's Rolls Razor, he departed this life in 1960. I use it to tidy up the edges of my beard
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18832 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Wodrick, I thought the all disposable Mach3 and Sensor (you through away the entire thing not just the razor) but after run the campaign in 2017 I decided it was time not to buy Gillette any more.

PN, nice story you have there.

Ric, I was given my grandfather's razor and a friend suggested I overhaul it for use. I am not sure I would do it.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18833 Post by ricardian » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Big fire in San Diego harbour, one of Uncle Sam's finest warships - explosion & fire reported by CBS News
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18834 Post by Magnus » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Anyone remember a wire razor in the early 70s. It had a. cartridge that held the wire or ribbon. When blunt you just wound to the next one.
The Gilette Techmatic. I had one.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18835 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Magnus were they any good?

From Gillettes POV they are always seeking a marginal performance change and maximum profit increase. I say change as it is possible and earlier device, say your techmatic might have had a better performance but lower profit margin.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18836 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:37 pm

I had a Remmington for a few years. Picked it up on the market £1.50, put the battery in and the effect was good. Standard blade, slide it off, slide new one on. Must admit I don't notice the differed now with the Gillette Fusion rangr

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18837 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm

Ooops!!

The Japanese Navy have denied any involvement.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18838 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:06 pm

My father was a Rolls Razor man until he retired and moved to an electric razor.
I still have his Rolls.

My father-in-law was a cut-throat razor user until he died (actually until he became too sick).

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18839 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 pm

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#18840 Post by jimtherev » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks to all who have given advice re organ pipes. Been trying for six months to go the 'ethical' route, but no-one seems interested. I'm also trying to get rid of a small grand piano, but the (commercial) buyer has been avoiding returning calls or letters since the beginning of lockdown.
Prompted by you lovely people I did put a question in our local neighbourhood newsletter (Nextdoor Kilburn) and actually had a nibble... but I bet it comes to nothing <grump> <grump> <grump>.
I did say yesterday that this should have been in the rants.