Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18861 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm

ribrash wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 am
Woody wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:15 am
Morning everyone, leaving the Royal Borough this morning to drive to The Lakes, where apparently it’s raining ☔️
It will be over Shap.Always is. :-bd
Been here over two hours and it’s not rained yet :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#18862 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:09 pm

I went to the Lake District for a few days and it wasn't raining ... for at least half an hour.
The Speedo cable on my SAAB broke. I rang around, found this garage in the middle of nowhere.
That sounds like Turners Hill Saab near LGW. The Saab was the best but most troublesome car I've ever owned. Their dealerships tend to be in the middle of nowhere, the other one I used was at Farnham Royal, also great people

ribrash

#18863 Post by ribrash » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:03 pm
ribrash wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 am
Woody wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:15 am
Morning everyone, leaving the Royal Borough this morning to drive to The Lakes, where apparently it’s raining ☔️
It will be over Shap.Always is. :-bd
Been here over two hours and it’s not rained yet :D
Well that,s a first. =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18864 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Cape, no, Haxey. Yuor, you've never heard of it 😀

First SAAB garage I went to in UK was down an alley in Birkenhead. Two old blokes and a lad, all wearing spotless starched white overalls. Floor unblemished green paint, walls gleaming white.

My car had Turkish road tar and limestone crusting the wheel arches and the engine bearers which served as sump guards were buckled after a heavy landing in Kyrenia. To say they were a bit sniffy was no exaggeration. They told me off for bending it!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18865 Post by Karearea » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Sun's up, sky clear, birdies beginning to sound like they think it's spring.
Currently -1.5°C, expecting +10°C later.
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18866 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Still no rain :-bd

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18867 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm

We need to run a METAR service for Lake District, although I went there in February 1996 for a morning of dives and it didn't rain.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18868 Post by EA01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 pm

Bureau saying 8c, but apparent temp of 5c. After bidding farewell to Mrs Fliegs for the day I shall tackle the task of removing a section dead Bamboo. Dreadful stuff it is.....

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#18869 Post by jimtherev » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:46 pm

Re Barron Nights parody on the little chapel in the valley: Fantastic! Never seen it before.
(A tale I could tell concerning tar-covered Romanians. Some time, maybe, when seven years have passed...)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18870 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:49 pm

EA01 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 pm
Bureau saying 8c, but apparent temp of 5c. After bidding farewell to Mrs Fliegs for the day I shall tackle the task of removing a section dead Bamboo. Dreadful stuff it is.....
Make sure you are fully covered long sleeve shirts and long trousers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18871 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:31 am

Morning all ! Up at five ack emma as ribs giving me gyp. OK when I get into bed, lying down seems to exacerbate problem. Life ! Who needs it ?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18872 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:34 am

Morning folks. 4 degrees. We are now limited to buying just 250 BWP (25 euro) of petrol at a time and one jerry can but only on a Thursday for cans. Problem, it takes more than 250 BWP to get into town and back and we need two jerry cans a week for watering. We can of course go to more than one petrol station but that involves hours queuing.
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm
We need to run a METAR service for Lake District, although I went there in February 1996 for a morning of dives and it didn't rain.
Didn't know that you were a diver. Took the uni dive team to Windermere in 1975. My master plan was to go in from the hotel jetty, we didn't have a boat. It was the first open water dive for my group. We attracted quite a crowd. I said that I would lead and would demonstrate the technique of entering unknown water. One hand on mask the other holding the tank into the murky water, to be left standing knee deep in front of large audience. We were looking for antique bottles. All we found were new gin bottles. Not even a full one.

Our chap has a hands free phone. He is talking on it all day. Doesn't stop working but how can you talk on a phone all day?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18873 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:59 am

Only a man would ask that question !

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18874 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 am

Morming all

Son arrived early from LHR last night.

Another sunny day.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18875 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
You still got wet though 😀

Reminds me, there is a private spot in Eskdale, perfect for a bit of wild swimming in a river. The water is Crystal clear and about 16 feet deep. It's no more than 50 yards from the main valley road.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18876 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:34 am
Morning folks. 4 degrees. We are now limited to buying just 250 BWP (25 euro) of petrol at a time and one jerry can but only on a Thursday for cans. Problem, it takes more than 250 BWP to get into town and back and we need two jerry cans a week for watering. We can of course go to more than one petrol station but that involves hours queuing.
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Didn't know that you were a diver. Took the uni dive team to Windermere in 1975. My master plan was to go in from the hotel jetty, we didn't have a boat. It was the first open water dive for my group. We attracted quite a crowd. I said that I would lead and would demonstrate the technique of entering unknown water. One hand on mask the other holding the tank into the murky water, to be left standing knee deep in front of large audience. We were looking for antique bottles. All we found were new gin bottles. Not even a full one.
Maybe you can go using both cars so using the same waiting time you double the amount of fuel you get. At 25 € it seems a very expensive trip.

My diver's training was provided by the University of Sunderland Sub-aqua club and I managed to reach the two star BSAC qualification but unfortunately BSAC no longer exists. Nice experience Ex-A to mention it not to live it.

PN a hell of experience - I still need to swim on a river.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18877 Post by Woody » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am

Morning everyone, still no rain, hosepipe ban to be introduced this afternoon :D

Warning Aviation Content - I didn’t know about this site https://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfi ... cross-bay/

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18878 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 am

RiS
Maybe you can go using both cars so using the same waiting time you double the amount of fuel you get. At 25 € it seems a very expensive trip.
Bloody hell my good friend. Just remind me what MBA stands for. Then we use twice the amount of fuel. Both cars are heavy on the gas. It is 80 kms return. Usually 100 kms if we go and see our friend the other side of town.

Yes I was BSAC level two or whatever they called it. I was Chairman of The City Uni Subaqua Club. Did some perishing dives in the UK, one under ice with just a wet suit. Dived in the Red Sea and never dived in the UK again. That was with the Air Attache's young daughter in a bikini (her not me). Apparently there are some very interesting fish in the Red Sea.

We were on a week stop over in Mombasa and one of my girls wanted to do a dive course. She asked me to go diving with her to take photos. Didn't know she was going to strip off underwater. That tank of air didn't last long. :-o She never gave me copies :((

Used to dive with a guy who was a chain smoker. He would blow smoke into the intake of the compressor when he was filling his bottles.

Sitting in the sun, one is a bit warmer now. OAT 17°.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18879 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am

Greetings,
Normal CdS, clearer, 28 already, guess is 29 should top that.
Best I can do for *woody* Windermere Wx Station

From midnight in Andalucia masks are to be worn in all public places and shops even if spacing is possible. (previously not needed in the fresh air if spacing could be maintained)

The tourists, of which there are a few, will like that, they will like the fines too.
The Spanish do fines, they believe in fines, non compliance with the mask law will be up to 500€ or even 1000€.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18880 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:55 am

Ex-A I was thinking about getting more fuel per trip. Thinking than you can get more fuel at the pump than use it going to there plus the fact you can get legally two jerry cans I considered a good move but it is marginally useful. Obviously you can ask the guy next in line if he could help you with the second jerry can.

Ever since I did my military service in an excellent sea-side airport with a magnificent beach I thought it was completely wrong to have virtually any contacts with female family members of staff working/serving at the base. So I admire your decision to train the daughter.

Was your girl in Mombasa of any interest in Slasher or me? You should have volunteer to develop and print the pictures. Nice story about the smoker.

I still found the Med a bit cool to dive even in July without the top of a wet suit.

Partly Sunny 29 C Humidity 28% UV Index 11 -Extreme never seen that before.

Thinking about getting some tissue face masks