The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#19581 Post by Ibbie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:51 am

Morning folks

Distinctly a few degrees cooler at 23c when I arose. However we are heading for a high of at least 30c later.
Looks as though the cooler early hours are now with us.

HF, the village of Rippingale is to the east of you in Lincolnshire. Pall of mine used to own the village pub there.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19582 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 am

Our friend the boss of Mack Air has his son and a group of his son's friends, at the safari camp for son's 14th birthday. Son said no need to stay dad just drop us off. He stayed. Bulge noticed in son's pocket. Dad said do you need some matches? Son is skippering a large speed boat with no supervision. He seems to be pretty sensible though. Slowed down past our jetty to avoid wash. They invited us for lunch yesterday. We don't want lunch with 10 14 yr olds.

Going back shortly for a few more beers with them. Then take a bottle of gin home for pre-lunch drinks.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19583 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:07 am

Same as Handsfree, cold enough with the wind to wear a beanie, thick fleece and shorts walking the dog. Hour and a quarter, then she had her bath, breakfast, and retired to bed an hour ago.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19584 Post by handsfree » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:39 am

Can't say I know that area very well Ibbie. Been sailing at Rutland Water and know Stamford a bit
but the East of England is a bit of a mystery to me. I must put that right at some time in the future.
I was seconded to Martlesham Heath for a few months and that area is very pleasant.

First lawn mowed. Neighbours now all awake and up.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19585 Post by 1DC » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 am

Dull and 16C on the Humber, rumour that we may see the yeller thing this afternoon with a forecast of 19C. Might break out the shorts..

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19586 Post by Wodrick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:11 am

Morning all,
Climbing from an overnight low of 23c now 29c target 32c. If past few days are an example target will be comfortably exceeded.
First lawn mowed. Neighbours now all awake and up.
Not much mowing here it's more strimmers and chainsaws. It is usual to start at first light and stop about now (11.00)
I didn't know but it seems the use of a strimmer with a metal blade is banned during the summer months, same as bonfires.
I think that's the spark risk.

On the opposite side of the valley we have a German fruitcake who visits about four times a year.
His land runs to the bottom of the valley it's at least a 45' slope and was once terraced but is mostly collapsed now.
He cuts his grass with an electric flymo. 35' and he is out cutting grass in full sun. Was at it the last two days.
Won't do too much today as he will be watching the might of Mercedes.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#19587 Post by Groundgripper » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:55 am

the might of Mercedes.
Or the might not of Mercedes depending on whether Pirelli have got their tyres sorted. Why can't they use Cinturatos, they worked a dream on my old (real) Mini in 1969. o:-)

GG

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19588 Post by Wodrick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Now I know these are not the greatest quality but the last house on the right is Hans's
Hans's land.jpg
And electronically zoomed you can make out the lad himself mowing. It's 32c in the shade.
Hans.jpg

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19589 Post by ricardian » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:56 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:12 pm
You see, you live in a civilised place... with an easy accessed view of Scapa Flow...
To see Scapa Flow means a two hour ferry journey to Kirkwall followed by a two mile walk or a £5 taxi ride. However, I can look out of the kitchen window and see Stronsay Harbour (100 metres away).
There's a Yellow Warning of thunderstorms - starts: 00:00 BST on Tue 11 August and ends: 23:59 BST on Tue 11 August
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19590 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Wodrick, at least unlike many of his ill he is dressed.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19591 Post by Wodrick » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Wodrick, at least unlike many of his ill he is dressed.
No that's my next door neighbour who is Dutch, same thing really, who is a Naturist, Vegetarian, Jehovah's Witness. We don't speak.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#19592 Post by bob2s » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:30 am

As Alison said the weather here has been somewhat waterish ,just back on line after being without wiggly amps,power went off last night due to the wind blasting oversome trees,twas strong enough to blow a dog off a chain ,recorded gusts at the nearby RAAF base was 70 kph, this was accompanid by copious quanity of rain that was akin to a cow peeing on a flat rock.Slowly clearing with the wind gusts down to 40 kph,seems more rain to follow next weekend,this year sees to be a wetter than usual one compared to last year where the ground ended up a dry as dead dingo's donger.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19593 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 am

Looks like we are heading into an area of meteorological instability this week. Don't care what it's called as long as it brings rain....plants in the front yard pots much prefer the real stuff as opposed to what comes out of hosepipe.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19594 Post by EA01 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:45 am

The evenings Lorikeets have arrived en masse. Best take their 'dinner out to them....
Cold day here! (Cold dry westerly that we only ever get in the 'winter' months)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19595 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 am

Morning folks. Now it is our turn to have a pool problem. Think we have a leak on the outlet side. The strainer was empty this morning and we are down more than evaporation in a week. Please send the rain over here Bob. Last was March and we will be lucky if we see any more before November. Warming up nicely. 11°to 25° clear sky.

Nasty situation on Mauritius. A Japanese oil slick.
The ship was about 1.5 kilometres off the southeast coast of Mauritius when it went aground, even though it was supposed to be 16 to 32 kilometres away from the island.
They are calling for International help. What do the Japs offer - 5 guys. :-q Hope the Capt does the honorable thing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19596 Post by Ibbie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 am

Never mind pools leaking....the sky is leaking here!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19597 Post by Wodrick » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 am

Morning all,
27c for 34c, overcast, no sign of a shower, they seem to be coming up from Morocco and breaking up around Ma Lager city.
Haze overhead.
It doesn't rain in August, not allowed.

Pond report: mine has lumps of algae floating in it. Needs topping up too.

I can't believe stopping First Aid pay.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#19598 Post by Groundgripper » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:05 am

Morning afternoon all. Pleasant morning here weatherwise, but there's a stream of thunderstorms working its way north from Dorset/Somerset through South Wales. Whether they will turn right and pay us a visit later or carry straight on towards the Isle of Man is debatable.
Avoided a near-disaster earlier. We keep a spare supply of foodstuffs in the garage as there isn't room in the house, but I found that some mice had nibbled a small hole in the sides of two plastic bottles of treacle and that about half a pound or more had leaked out onto that shelf and the one below it, on which I keep part of a collection of antique photographic equipment in large, and heavy, plastic crates . :-o Luckily, the lids of the crates had caught the leak and I just had a messy half hour cleaning up the treacle #:-S .
Needless to say, I then spent another half hour or more re-acquainting myself with the contents of the crates and seem to have finished up with a Retina IIC and IIIC on my desk to add to the IIc in the display cabinet in my study.

Now just pondering whether to cut the grass.

GG

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19599 Post by Magnus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:22 am

Nice day yesterday, but quite a haar this morning. Gremlin-watching today, so I have some squash soup cooking for lunch. Mince'n'tatties for tea; she loves that.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19600 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Hot, hot... 35 degrees Celsius inside (35 outside) the cockpit of a clapped out old PA 28 (the heavy one with all the IR kit) on 22 Left with two sylph like men (ahem) on a slight incline with only half the runway paved. Stagger into the air at 55 knots in ground effect at the boundary to the rutted grass that constitutes the remainder of the runway, looking at the trees ahead and the glacial climb rate thinking that this probably wasn't one of my better ideas. Fortunately I didn't hang up in the trees but it was the first fixed wing flight in 4 months and the rust and the heat showed. I should have been more careful with the density altitude calculation (done with another lighter aircraft when the temperature was a more temperate 29 degrees and yours truly didn't see fit to open the POH and redo the calcs when the aircraft was changed at the last moment ). The runway effectively ends at end of the concrete/asphalt as the grass is too muddy in winter and too rutted in the heat. It caught out a commercial instructor and his student in the winter in the glutinous mud...

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/236915

Sipping tea, totally dehydrated after 1hr in the sweat box. Can do better.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."