To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#32522 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:30 pm

It's an unusual sullen overcast evening, but I've had to reset the timers on two lights an hour ahead today. I notice the lengthening shadows in the front yard which faces North. Winter drawers on. Daylight hours in Spain are roughly one hour less in summer than they are in London, and in winter, one hour longer.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32523 Post by ricardian » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:08 pm

Sunday, 1 August 2021 (BST). Dawn in Stronsay 04:00. Dusk in Stronsay 22:31.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32524 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:44 am

Huge thunderstorm line reaching from the far north to the middle of Spain crossed us in the night. Took our power out leaving us on portable solar lamps. Fell asleep but woke at 01:00 to get power back. About an hour's rain I'd say: nothing like enough. Presumably the local forest fire is out.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32525 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:54 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:44 am
Huge thunderstorm line reaching from the far north to the middle of Spain crossed us in the night. Took our power out leaving us on portable solar lamps. Fell asleep but woke at 01:00 to get power back. About an hour's rain I'd say: nothing like enough. Presumably the local forest fire is out.
Or the lightning strikes from the lower precipitation (or even dry) parts in the line have started even more fires! In parts of South Africa during drought months, huge high based Cb's produce virga, and lots of lightning but little or no precipitation that reaches the ground.

Locally here in England it is humid after heavy showers overnight, with further broken showers expected during the morning. Off to the gym and then to fight the listlessness and ennui of Sunday I guess.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32526 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 am

Day 14, patios looking good, especially when lashed by the rain. 4 slabs loose and 4 to be fitted. Some edge work and then grouting.

Snag. No work today, dry Monday and Tuesday we hope, and wet Wednesday. He needs dry slabs to tape up before grouting. Will he be able to be ready for tape and grout on Tuesday?

Good news, the job should come in a tad over £200 per metre. Our other quote was £450.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32527 Post by EA01 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:25 am

Good news, the job should come in a tad over £200 per metre. Our other quote was £450.
Crazy ain't it? I once wrote tender documents using Structural engineering reports for large construction companies to bid for often for Hundreds of thousands of $, always amazing the variance.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32528 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:31 am

Damp and gloomy hereabouts. Hedge-trimming and other outdoor activities suspended pending an improvement in the weather. Will just have to have another mug of tea.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32529 Post by Wodrick » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 am

G'day,
A small ant has dared to cross my desk to it's inevitable death.

Crystal, blue, 28c and rising for a guess of 29c. bit cool for August.

Floors, ritual, GP, dinner to do. end.

There is too much traffic for a Sunday.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32530 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:25 am

Warm enough to require the outside shades to be closed.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32531 Post by handsfree » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 am

Morning all,

Mr Sun is out at the moment but forecast to be mostly cloudy with light rain.
1st of August already; soon be Christmas ^#(^

We had a Globemaster drop in on us from Brize yesterday. On the deck for a couple of hours
before bimbling off to RAF Akrotiri. Wonder what goodies they were taking for the troops.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32532 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 am

Just been out for the Sunday Comic. Traffic appalling. Lost Frogs driving at 5mph. Everyone is also exhausted after last night's thunderstorm which presumably extinguished yesterday's fire. Sky diving plane up, no Fire Boss in sight.
21° on our terrace!

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32533 Post by Ibbie » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:14 am

Good morning.

Been out to Lidl and Aldi for a peaceful shop just after 09.00, as there were very few about.

Son is more or less housebound as his back is very painful, as are his legs.What is a normal five minute walk took him 50 mins on his crutches yesterday and had to get a lift back. The painkillers given to him on discharge from hospital aren't cutting it. Has a home visit from one of mental health team this morning. Will be seeing what his GP can do for him in morning.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32534 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:09 am

EA, I think it is because they don't want the job. The high quote guy would need a 15 mile round trip every day. Present guy lives around the corner.

Regarding the large companies probably works the same way or even, 'I'm busy so I can quote times 3, you will be OK if you quote times 2"

Last big contract I was involved in, 6 came for the tender brief, 3 immediately dropped out. One of the remainder was with the fairies but all 3 quotes were higher than the target price. The contract was trimmed but still too high and the fairy bidder was still non-compliant even after being given a heavy steer in the right direction.

The sitting contractor naturally gave the most realistic bid but Contracts favoured the other guy who was also dead keen to win. The contact was again adjusted, 20% was cut and the new guy got the job. No idea how it turned out in the end.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32535 Post by EA01 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:12 pm

PN, Experience with 'Concrete cancer' or 'spalling', 20 - 30 year old buildings (Highrise) by the Ocean, the balconies fail and the railings do to....very dangerous...very expensive...

I would never live in one.

Saw 2 million of remedial work for a 40 floor building, mostly 2 units per floor, but the top floors were far larger with far higher per unit contribution....

I shall stay here in my (you may call it a bungalow?)...single level dwelling, close to amenities, I'll mow my lawn and clean my pool, and pay for things as they arise...modest.... :)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32536 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm

EA, my uncle bought a bank. The building that is, not the company. Had it shipped in two halves to his plot near Brisbane. We have his letters retalling the saga.

SEA had trespassed on his farm to string some power cables over his land (another story) and cut down some trees. He pursuaded them to cut the trunk into logs for the foundation. He then got in a contractor and showed him where he wanted the building set up.

When he got back all was done but in the wrong place. He was assured it was right until he pointed out the alignment on hills etc. "Oh you're a fly one Mr Dunne" and it was duly replaced.

The join between the two halves was yet to be done when the builder asked on the Thursday for an advance as he had to pay the men. He was never seen again until tracked down (another story too).

The photo showed the roof covered with a tarp. I never saw photos of the inside.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32537 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Evening folks. A whole weekend with no booze cruises. Amazing as it is end of the month pay day.

What is worse than hippos grumpping all night? Hippos bonking. What a noise. Amazed that the tidal wave didn't wash the jetty away. Now bull frogs making a big noise.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32538 Post by Boac » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:22 pm

Must be like Bonking Boris Bonking?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32539 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm

18:30. Moving indoors from terrace as cold wind is objectionable.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32540 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:55 pm

ribrash wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:40 am
4mastacker wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:35 am
EA01 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:03 am
A fishing match? ... I've never heard of such a thing?

Big time activity in the UK, with lots of participants and the possibility of a lot of cash to be won in the major matches. I don't go for the maggot drowning side of the business, much prefer slinging 4ozs of lead at the sea in the (vain) hope of catching something that can form part of one's dinner. Could never get the knack of fly-fishing though I'm sure UP is a master of that particular craft.
4Ma,a local angler won over £150,000 in matches last year.I don't do freshwater match fishing any more.I sold every last bit of my gear.I just do sea/match fishing,plus I get to eat the freshest possible fish.I collect all my own bait from around Hilbre Island,and when I have visited church I make leads for people. :-bd
Same here.
Big time pro bass fishing tournaments. Lots of prize money.
The pros look like race car drivers sporting all of their sponsorships on clothes and boats.
My letter carrier is big time into fishing. A few months ago he competed in a Pro-Am event. He was super stoked to have done so.

PP