The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#32601 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:39 am

How did both donks out handle in real life Pinky?
No idea. Had two genuine engine failures (two different aircraft) and one precautionary shutdown though. Thankfully the A/C was reasonably light so had no great problem staying airborne. Just set the remaining angine on 25/2500 and was able to maintain just over 3,500' from memory. (The 300hp version)

In PNG, the Islander was known as a 'brumm brumm,' because of the seemingly chronic habit of the engines to go out of sync! I eventually worked out that if, after snyching, you gave one pitch lever a gentle flick with a finger it took the strain out of the linkage and they would then remain in synch. :-o

Well, it worked for me anyway. :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32602 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:29 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:49 pm
EA01 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:15 am
My only experience with a 'Bongo Van' was as a model one....both engine out performance was appalling...worse was the 'Ducted Fan' version....dreadful......
The full size ducted fan version G-FANS was based in our hangar at Shoreham in the late 70's. Its test pilot was Neville Duke. Such a pleasant and unassuming man to talk to - I felt very priviliged. He was very amused to hear how, when I was 8, he had scared me during his low level record breaking run in the red Hunter off the coast at Worthing and I was paddling in the sea. Apparently I ran screaming back to Mum.......

I remember reading that he was rejected by the FAA so he joined the RAF instead. Royal Navy 0, RAF 1. I suppose in hindsight it really didn't matter where he flew. His many talents were soon spotted and he often flew as Sailor Malan's wingman at Biggin Hill and had an extraordinary and adventurous flying career thereafter. A veritable Dan Dare of a man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32603 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 am

Morning comrades. Dribbling with rain this morning. How wonderful. More forecast. We need a weeks worth.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32604 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:19 am

Note, we always flew in short and the until some SA said it might strangle us in an emergency.

Prior to the V Force with its pressure breathing kit, we used to fly in No 1 or 2 trousers flying suit on top. Also a uniform jacket on top, except in a Meteor. SD hat too, even on a V Force scramble.

What you flew in was what you would in a diversion or in a POW camp.😁

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32605 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:22 am

Morning folks. Spring seems to have sprung. Not so cold in the morning and hacking around 30°C at lunchtime. Clear sky light wind. Stepping up the mammoth watering programme. Just been walking ideal weather. We inspected the fruit and veg on the way back in. All looking good apart from the bananas which are recovering from the cold winds.

Ricardian:
Loganair North Isles service take off from Kirkwall with a lady in the left hand seat. I use the ferry to get to Kirkwall because I get 12 free trips per year, the flight (timetable) would cost me £19 return, there is a complex fare structure!
I know which mode of transport I would take despite a very unprofessional looking lady pilot with her locks blowing in the wind. Surprised that the company allow it.

Used to enjoy flying both the piston and turbine Islanders. Sir Norman of Britten-Norman used to live close to us in Oxfordshire. One has had a few bevies with him and his late wife in our local and even invited back to his manor once. It is his brother however who is aircraft, he was into power boat racing. Don't know what his service background is but met him in the club once and he was signed in as Fg Off.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32606 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:37 am

G'day,
22c for 30c, overcast, coast shrouded in sea mist, viz<10km.
I think the guess will be difficult to reach.
Low 30s guessed for the remainder of the week.

I note that *OFSOville* has an amber today for rainfall, won't be enuf, never is.

Went to the fang fettler yesterday afternoon, she poked around with her probe, crown there (the one I went for)
Filling there, extraction there, followed by an implant. Can't afford the implant so a plate instead.
Big bill to follow.
Why have my teeth suddenly started falling apart as I pass 71 ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32607 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 am

Well, PN - you certainly have fitted the thread title there! Particularly Paras 1 and 3!
Note, we always flew in short and the until some SA said it might strangle us in an emergency.

Prior to the V Force with its pressure breathing kit, we used to fly in No 1 or 2 trousers flying suit on top. Also a uniform jacket on top, except in a Meteor. SD hat too, even on a V Force scramble.

What you flew in was what you would in a diversion or in a POW camp

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32608 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 am
Well, PN - you certainly have fitted the thread title there! Particularly Paras 1 and 3!

What you flew in was what you would in a diversion or in a POW camp
Reading the first paragraph made me worry that PN's oxygen mask had slipped or the oxygen tube had crimped in the rarified air of his study and he was hypoxic! I assume that he has an intrusive predicative spell/grammar checker coupled, possibly, with a case of Goblin fat finger aided by a glass case or three of the finest Cape Shiraz! ;)))

Some of the more gnomic of PM's posts are akin to Dadaesque poetry or even surrealist art. I am tempted to contact him to persuade to him allow us to display a collage of the best of these posts on a white wall at the Tate Gallery. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32609 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am

TGG, I plead Amazon. The chinky spulchuker on fone wonks mutch butter.

In earlier times when Neville Duke and Roly Beaumont were household names we were always smartly attired when flying and in uniform when not. Wearing grow bags when not on the flypro or indeed after flying was unheard of. Why, we even showered using the Queen's hot water and towels after flying and before an after-flight meal.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32610 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am
Better denial than the Amazon PN! Your posts have developed the cachet and collectability of the best of The Gruaniad's typos during their hot metal days! ;))) :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32611 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:32 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:17 am

In earlier times when Neville Duke and Roly Beaumont were household names we were always smartly attired when flying and in uniform when not. Wearing grow bags when not on the flypro or indeed after flying was unheard of. Why, we even showered using the Queen's hot water and towels after flying and before an after-flight meal.
I cannot imagine that a chap like you would have been attired in anything uncouth PN. Roly Beamont's suits were probably cut in Saville Row, as yours are are too, I am sure! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32612 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 am

TGG, ah, another snippet. I popped in to Dormeils and got some swatches. One fabric I favoured they did not have.

"Would you like me to send it to your home or your tailor?"

"Victor Patterson", I said.

"Ah, John Musson", he replied, "give him my regards".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32613 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am

As for wearing shorts, let P G Wodehouse's Wooster's comment to the "shorts" wearing Spode be a salient lesson us all...

“The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?”

Notice how so many of the wrong types wear shorts... =))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32614 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:42 am

Is there a PN 'reset' button?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32615 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:49 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 am
TGG, ah, another snippet. I popped in to Dormeils and got some swatches. One fabric I favoured they did not have.

"Would you like me to send it to your home or your tailor?"

"Victor Patterson", I said.

"Ah, John Musson", he replied, "give him my regards".
His son Andrew still purveys fine clothes to gentleman in Lincoln, I believe, or as I discovered when I popped up there to have afternoon tea with an old flame, some years back now. Elizabeth was also shocked at how scruffy I am, and tried to prevail upon me to avail myself of the shop's services but to no avail. I can make any suit look like a sack of potatoes! =))

My present dresser and long time Obergruppenführer has bullied me into having at least one good suit cut and made to measure... (for funerals, divorce court appearances... that sort of thing).... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32616 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 am

Correct and of course the shop name changed too. The last thing I had made there was a DJ in a superfine wool bought from a Kurd in Regent's Street 😊

You might have been scruffy but a well travelled scruff🦔

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32617 Post by handsfree » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 am

"I can make any suit look like a sack of potatoes!"
It's a gift that some of us have GG. :D

Lengthy sunny spells today with no signs of rain to spoil it.
17°C at present, 22°C predicted.

The garden calls. B-)

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#32618 Post by Groundgripper » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am

The last suits I bought were made-to-measure in a side street in Bankok - two suits, two shirts (also made-to-measure) and a couple of silk ties for about £100. It's a tribute to the (possibly elastic) qualities of fine (English?) cloth that they still fit me nearly a quarter of a century later. :-?

GG

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32619 Post by tango15 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:26 am

One has spent a considerable part of of one's life wearing a whistle. This is one of my aircraft-selling attires :))
Attachments
BAZZA2-002.JPG

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32620 Post by EA01 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:35 am

'Frontline Fliegs' Attire,.....could never have predicted this 2 years ago, not even 2 months ago!
Attachments
Front;ine Fliegs.jpg