General Chit Chat
jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7181 Post by jimtherev » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:35 pm

Slasher wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 pm

I hear that "FEEL THE PAIN BABY!" finally got the arse a coupla day's ago. Now it's his turn to feel the damn pain! =))
What happened? Someone dob him in?

Slasher

#7182 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm
Slasher, I hope you get decent time off. I was concerned you would only move back in Thailand over the weekends. Ex-A it seems the warm days are around the corner.

The cold is still bothering me.
Next month's roster should show enough time off for me to go home twice RiS. One 4 day stretch then a 5 day ten or so days later.

You probly need to stay inside a few days till you get over it mate.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7183 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 am

I went to the Wellcome Foundation's exhibition yesterday, "Smoke and Mirrors" , the psychology of magic. Largely about how we can be fooled and how we fool ourselves, through the ages. One thing worth repeating here. McGill university has done research into how MRI scanners have a healing effect. Giving patients 15 minutes in a scanner, even when switched off, can fix all sorts of problems. Amazingly it works even when patients are told machine is off. Many children had their migraines alleviated, even though they knew machine was off. Professor said the machine, the belief in the machine, was turning on the brain's ability to heal the body. For those in London, exhibition highly recommended.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7184 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:40 am

Further to the above. One thing I found pretty horrifying. Lots of film clips of sleight of hand tricks with explanation of distraction techniques being used. No matter that I knew, I still could not see the trick. I ended up in the audience as the BBC were filming. Stood right by the table watching card tricks. Baffled. Utterly baffled.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7185 Post by Ibbie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 am

Very wet morning. Absolutely tipping it down again. The idiots are calling it light rain.

It's another Art Thursday.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7186 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 am

Morning folks, big weather change. Hazy but calm. Only three layers of clothes.

Made it to the house this morning. Had to force a few doors and shutters open but generally OK. Closed up for 9 months over a very bad winter and no damp and very little dust. They knew how to build them 300 years ago. Helped a bit by very punctilious Italian renovators 30 years ago and many new doors and windows last year.

Congrats Reddo.

Seems like a better schedule Capt.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#7187 Post by Slasher » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 am

jimtherev wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:35 pm
What happened? Someone dob him in?
Nope Reverend. He yelled it out once too often and a local capt reported it. We all knew he was nuts and he had quite a record. The fleet office must've found a way to give him the flick. 👏

Slasher

#7188 Post by Slasher » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:20 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 am
Seems like a better schedule Capt.
Yes it looks like it'll be much more civilised and close to what I was expecting as a rule.

That'll be 9 clear days off in May giving me 20 seshes (there'll be one day off in Honkers).

Looks like the wx has improved for you sah. Enjoy your raki tonight while basking in warmth.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7189 Post by Wodrick » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am

Morning all,

Woke to low cloud and obvious signs of much rain, another heavy shower just started, 14c.

Henry is locked in his crate so we can eat breakfast in peace.

Another dunno day.

Nice mother's day offer for the inner artist at Lidl.

Is all
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7190 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:52 am

jimtherev wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 pm
What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Put him on a course of alcohol awareness,
Put him...

Give him twenty hours of community service
Give him...

Make him say he's very very sorry,
Early in the morning.
Fat chance - you'll never get him out of bed...
Typical sexist rant assuming that women can't sail or get drunk. As for my previous dit, I suppose the drunken sailor could be put with the Captain's lesbian daughter.

"My name is Cecil, I come ... we go around in pairs, For we're all queers together, Now excuse us while we go upstairs."

I guess this one will need rewriting too:

The cabin boy was Kipper By Christ he was a nipper. He stuffed his ass with broken glass. And circumcised the ...

This assumes the Captain was a man. It might have been the cabin boy who was circumscribed 😁

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7191 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 am

Exactly 20 years ago two people started to promote and market Amorgos as a walking destination especially spring and autumn. Up until then the island only had tourists for 6 weeks a year. We now have hundreds of the bastards with boots and walking sticks all over the place. The local businesses are very happy about this much longer tourist season, we just want peace and quiet. If we could get our hands on the folk responsible for this we would kill them. They do however get mates rates everywhere and loads of free beer.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7192 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 pm

The old guy who lived next to me has finally been found a place in a Provincial nursing home, leaving his double-wide to deteriorate further from the ruin it already is. Demolition is not cheap, he has no money, and the Government sure isn't paying. However, PEI doesn't have too many of these old heaps standing around, as every Hallowe'en a number go up in flames for the amusement of the local youth. A little bird has just told me that I shouldn't be surprised if it goes up this year. I informed the little bird that I was aware of the practice, so I will be keeping my curtains closed on that side - "Di'unt see nuffin', Officer" - and not phoning the Fire Brigade...not for an hour anyway ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7193 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Sitting in the sun outside a Wapping pub, watching the Thames traffic sail by and the 146s on idle drifting down to City airport. Steak & Kidney Pud with new potatoes and a half of Guinness. Not a Frenchman in sight or hearing. Bliss.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7194 Post by om15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Took Misty to the vet this morning for a check up, she might be suffering from mild stress we are told.

Lazy afternoon matinee and saw Keira Knightly in "The Aftermath", recommended.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7195 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Raki time.

Chief Priest for the Cyclades has arrived in our village for Paska. Dunno why but he usually does. Much bowing scraping and kissing of ring (no comments please). His minder/ADC has brought his family. One very obnoxious kid of his got a clip across the ear from a German tourist at our pub =))

Too many people here now. All family members have arrived for the celebrations. Places set at the hotel for about 60 tonight. We have our own little corner table. Going home for the weekend. It will calm down next week. One hates Paska. Tomorrow we will have 'slash your wrists' church service music on all TV channels then Saturday midnight fireworks and dynamite followed by mega dead goat eating all Sunday.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7196 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Waiting for the doctor, to read my blood test and the chest x-ray. Keep coughing through the day. Saved by the CEO, who sent us home earlier than usual.

Ex-A the sun would be around on Saturday. Can't comment further

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7197 Post by Wodrick » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Forgot earlier Congrats on your milestone *Reddo* :YMAPPLAUSE:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7198 Post by Ibbie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Just think reddo, thay will probably eventually be an aircraft that can do all those hours without landing to refuel.

Not in our lifetimes though.

Well done.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7199 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Congrats Reddo for making it to 5 figures; it's the top Division. I doubt anyone will ever manage 6 figures.

Slasher

#7200 Post by Slasher » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Morning from Honkers city. 6.30am. Local tea leaf reader is in agreement with the dart thrower that stormocity and rain will return to the Territory today.

Am downstairs at brekky. Today will be a long day with 2 x 3h seshes complete with 2h prebrief and 1h post. It'll be intro to engine out work. Hmm...this'll be fun particularly with V1 cuts at VMCG. However I get some LHS time as I have to demonstrate same before they jump in and do it themselves. We kick off though with VMCA demos at 10,000ft with a bit of flap and at very low GW.

Sorry to hear you're thronged out on the island sah. Will the corner table be away enough from the maddening noisy crowd?

And yeh I also forgot to tell Redsnail well done too. At 10,000 hours one realises one still has a lot more to learn about aviation and at 20,000 one jumps in Super Cubs to enjoy flying again!