The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#21 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 am

Morning folks.

Buddy hot out there. 31 in the Garden Bar shade.

Not doing a lot today, though Mrs IB is at the nail manglers and painters this afternoon.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am

Buddy freezing here 21 on the veranda at midday. Been working in the study, supervising seed planting and watering and doing weekly pool maintenance all morning.

Can't sit on the back lawn in the sun as the irrigation system is running. Should finish soon.

Electrician was supposed to visit on Friday and didn't, this morning and didn't. The house needs rewiring. Had a couple of shorts, outside fortunately, whilst we were away. All the wiring runs under the thatch. :-o It is 30 years old and not particularly well done in the first place. It only used to be powered up when the genny was on but now with solar there is power all the time.

Just had news yesterday that our friend the hotel owner on Amorgos had a fall in the taverna and badly damaged his back. Sounds as if he is completely out of the game. No raki involved he doesn't drink. This is mega high season for them. Mid July to the end of August. Not sure how they are going to manage. His wife is going to be absolutely unbearable.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Tall Bird » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am

Oh my goodness Ex-A. What a calamity. :-o Poor old N. I guess everyone within shouting distance of Mrs N will have their tin hats on. :-ss

Did a bit more gardening in the shade until it got too hot. Now overcast with dark clouds and feels like 28.

Cape, a version of that advice has been doing the rounds for several years. See:
https://www.hoax-slayer.net/does-drinki ... -benefits/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/water-weal-2/

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... _n_3954799

FWIW I take magnesium and rarely have cramp. It has not helped my current problem of a cramp like pain in right leg though. :(

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by limeygal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello playmates :-h Hot as Hades here in Florida. Humidity is off the charts.

Wodders-Hope the treatment works on Slinky :YMHUG: Lily (dog) had another leg operated on last Friday. She is gimping about. She is a Cairn terrier mix and according to the vet, they have funky joints (medical term obs). The fun continues with dental surgery for me tomorrow. Another tooth has gone TU. They are putting in some bone tissue to restore missing bone. Not decided about implant yet-really expensive. The bone restoration is being done, so if I decide to fork over astronomical sums of money, the bone will be ready. Think I will just gum it for a while. :)

HF & TB-sorry to hear about your shingles. Several friends have had same and say it is a bugger. :YMHUG:

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Good info there, Cape. :-bd There's a current campaign for folks to check the colour of their pee - it's mainly aimed at identifying bowel/bladder cancer but it's also a good indicator of dehydration.

I always have a drink of water before retiring to me pit - in part due to the meds I take but I've always taken a drink of H2O at bedtime. I think I'm certain the cramps are due to the statins I take to "control" cholesterol levels. The doc changed me from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin because of the cramps. They've diminished but have't gone away completely.

Hi LG :-h Where ya bin?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#26 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Electrician on the road. Great family, reflective Rhodesian.

Lagoon rising fast. Squiffy Pussy III now floating :-bd We have a feeling that this year may be a high flood. Good job we had the jetty extended last year. Chucked the gardener in last week to lower the water pump inlet. Have to chuck him in again now to raise it. Croc feeding time :YMPARTY:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Eweggh...ain't that a bit crude? Chucking your gardener to the crocs????
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#28 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Fliegenmong wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Eweggh...ain't that a bit crude? Chucking your gardener to the crocs????
Flie, his family bathe in there. They don't seem to be worried about the crocs.

The electrician announced some of our wiring positively dangerous. However he said not huge job and came up with some great ideas for energy saving. Also he said why do you have security lights illuminating corners of the house. They should be spots facing out blinding any intruder so the house is a complete black void to them. Jolly good point. Told him to do whatever he feels like doing and chuck us the bill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 pm

After the comment about "stealing our deserts" the other day and after there appeared to be more sand on the vehicles this morning, I decided to put back what was not mine to keep.

So I have taken the vehicles to the Q8 pressure wash and, as implied, washed said "stolen desert" off them and left it at premises owned by a desert state.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 pm
......I'm certain the cramps are due to the statins I take to "control" cholesterol levels. The doc changed me from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin because of the cramps. They've diminished but have't gone away completely.
Snap! My GP did exactly that for my leg cramps. I had to reduce the nightly 20mg Atorvastatin dose to 10mg as I was still getting some cramps and it has helped a lot.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Leg cramps

#31 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am
.....The majority of people (about 60%) who had a heart attack during their sleep did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep. If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.....
I carry two aspirins in my wallet in case of a heart attack when I'm out and about and that is also noted in my medical notes on my iphone.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Capetonian

#32 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:28 pm

The point about these various 'miracles' to keep you healthy/alive are that they are unlikely to do any harm unless taken to excess, and may well do some good.

I went to see a friend in hossible yesterday who is sharing a room with a poor bugger who looks as if he is already in the next world. Very depressing indeed.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:43 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:24 pm
Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am
.....The majority of people (about 60%) who had a heart attack during their sleep did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep. If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.....
I carry two aspirins in my wallet in case of a heart attack when I'm out and about and that is also noted in my medical notes on my iphone.
C16 dinna you worry man! Remember that only the good die young and remember Spike Milligan's advice on how to stay alive...
Keep breathing
I expect an invite to your 95th birthday party.

Caco

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:20 pm
.............Snap! My GP did exactly that for my leg cramps. I had to reduce the nightly 20mg Atorvastatin dose to 10mg as I was still getting some cramps and it has helped a lot.
When I was taking Simvastatin, the doc directed that I take it at bedtime because, apparently, it works best whilst one is asleep. When I was changed to Atorvastatin, I carried on taking it at bed time. However, at a subsequent meds review, the doc said that wasn't necessary as I could take it in the morning with the rest of my meds. Still have to avoid grapefruit though! Bit if a buggah as I used to relish a grapefruit before I was diagnosed.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 pm

4ma and C16
changed me from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin because of the cramps.
Been on Atorvastatin for years. I was told to take it at bedtime and still do.
Also take a 30mg Q10 tablet at same time, which helps prevent leg cramps.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:43 pm
....C16 dinna you worry man! Remember that only the good die young and remember Spike Milligan's advice on how to stay alive...
Keep breathing
I expect an invite to your 95th birthday party
That's a date, Caco! I have no intention of departing earlier that that! :YMPARTY:

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Lot of dead hornets around, and he has netted the chimney to prevent entry/exit. That'll stop bees, wasps and birds too.
Load of soot came out when we opened the vent so looks like a sweep needed afore winter.

Sin IVA too :YMAPPLAUSE:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by om15 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Pretty warm here, the weather forecaster is tantalising us with the promise of a thundery shower on Friday, but he is only teasing I think. Absolutely perfect day on the coast, everyone trying to get burnt as quickly as possible.
Had salad for tea, watch something not very good on the telly, water the garden and another day over with.

Must do some chores tomorrow.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Got the boys tomorrow so Mrs 4ma has issued orders - put up the gazebo for some shade, inflate and fill the paddling pool, get some food including ice pops/ice cream/strawberries, clean bird sh!t off the trampoline, etc. I need a beer!

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 1DC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Have taken a glass of water before bed for years for my meds, take my atorvastatin at bedtime as instructed.Used to get a lot of severe leg cramps at night, changing to atorvastatin improved things by at least 50%. I had a stroke just over two years ago, which i have recovered from. Had to stop drinking spirits after that and cut down on wine, beer is ok. Drink very little now, occasional wine and usually a couple of beers a week. With that routine i don't get night cramps, if i go out for a nice meal and have 3 or 4 glasses of wine i am almost guaranteed to get cramp sometime in the night. Blood Pressure is generally good.
I go to Oz most winters and then probably have a couple of small beers a day, get occasional night cramps but nothing to write home about. BP goes up to the high side of normal though...
Eating fish and chips often gives me cramps well.

Welcome back Limey,please stay..