The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6221 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am

Standard weather, officer for the use of.

Been to see the chief about these boats causing chaos. They are not community boats they belong to a safari company. The community boat has had it's engine stolen by one of the community. He was horrified by the video clip I showed him. He also agrees with us that this will agitate the hippos and make them even more grumpy than they already are, a danger to his community. He is going to speak to the owner.

There was a little outside market going on under the baobab tree by the chief's office. This is of course the traditional village meeting place. Apparently it is a monthly market timed for when they get their pensions. All the old folk had collected. All very African. The chief was going around greeting them all.

That tree could be BC. There are some around been dated back 3,000 years. Now really Traab. 300 uses for a Baobab. Apart from the pods and bark, hollows have been used as prison cells, for water storage and even a bar :YMPARTY:
Attachments
Market.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#6222 Post by 603DX » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Great picture of the locals gathered under that massive baobab tree, Ex-A. I came across a number of those trees in East Africa on my two working survey visits around 1990, which took me well into "the sticks" of the semi-arid NFD (Northern Frontier District). I was told their alternative name, the "upside-down tree", and also that if a lost traveller was dying of thirst in such a region, the baobab can be a life-saving source of water. Though I wasn't told just how this can be accessed, I guess that might involve tapping into the trunk and waiting for a trickle, a bit like rubber-tapping techniques?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6223 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 pm

603DX wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm
Great picture of the locals gathered under that massive baobab tree, Ex-A. I came across a number of those trees in East Africa on my two working survey visits around 1990, which took me well into "the sticks" of the semi-arid NFD (Northern Frontier District). I was told their alternative name, the "upside-down tree", and also that if a lost traveller was dying of thirst in such a region, the baobab can be a life-saving source of water. Though I wasn't told just how this can be accessed, I guess that might involve tapping into the trunk and waiting for a trickle, a bit like rubber-tapping techniques?
Yes indeed, up side down tree, also tree of life, bottle tree and monkey bread tree. I understand that a live tree holds thousands of litres of water which can be tapped. The animals chew their way in. The elephants unfortunately destroy many by ripping the bark off. I am trying to find a huge academic paper I used to have on the subject. Fascinating.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6224 Post by om15 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:12 pm

I have been idly looking at details of the local woodland burial ground, curiosity rather than forward planning, one of the features is that the purchaser can select a tree from the range available, I thought that an oak tree would be top for longevity, but I have discovered that the spruce holds the record, there is a bunch of spruce trees in Sweden estimated to be over 8,000 years old, and one particular tree is considered to be 9,550 years old.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6225 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm

They reckon that Julius Caesar may well have played as a kid under the Fortingall Yew. It was probably several thousand years old then.

Nowdays it looks more like a ring of trees than just one stem, but it really is just one tree.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: Tony Draper

#6226 Post by jimtherev » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Another here so sad to hear of Tony's demise. His unforgettable presence on TOP was appreciated, and his posts (nearly) always interesting and to the point. A true character

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6227 Post by reddo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm

That is sad news. Smooth seas Cap'n.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6228 Post by handsfree » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Such very sad news about Tony. A true character who will be greatly missed.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6229 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Oh dear. So sad. I really enjoyed his wit and wisdom. Rest in Peace Tony.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6230 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm
They reckon that Julius Caesar may well have played as a kid under the Fortingall Yew. It was probably several thousand years old then.

Nowdays it looks more like a ring of trees than just one stem, but it really is just one tree.
My forebears hail from a little village in Cumbria. It used to be an important crossroads with a religious place of worship. Now it is one road in and three tracks. The church has a Yew also reputed to be the oldest in Europe. It is in the church yard in a circular stone walled bed; this is typical of pre-Christian worship (I was told).

I our last home I planted yew in the wood. After 40 years of was 20 feet tall.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6231 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Wodrick, losing one's companion is always sad, more so when you can't explain.

We had three dogs, the old dog, mother and daughter. Old dog had been permitted to look after daughter and daughter was very attached even acting as hearing dog. She was not attached to her mum. Old dog died but she didn't seem to grieve. When Mum died it was different and she really moped.

They do get over it with love and consideration.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6232 Post by Magnus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Very sad to read about the FSL. His posts were the only thing I missed when I lost patience with TOP. RIP, Tony.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6233 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Tony Draper was a brilliant character and if I remember his constructions correctly, inventive and precise. A sad loss. RIP.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6234 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 pm

My sister fed two stray cats - she already have three at her apartment. One was killed a couple of weeks about by a car and the second one was poisoned over the weekend. I still can't understand people's mind who do that to stray animals. Completely irrational and cruel. Really a nasty think to do

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6235 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Nicked from somewhere else.
Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 22.22.36.png
Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 22.22.36.png (272.69 KiB) Viewed 326 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6236 Post by ricardian » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Sad news, not unexpected but still quite a shock. RIP FSL
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Slasher

#6237 Post by Slasher » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:44 am

Morning. 1140 here. 28C here but stinking smoke everywhere as a result of forest fires that occur at this time of the year. The vis I estimate at our digs to be roughly 2500m. I couldn't go for a run smorning because of it.

Almost packed all my crap for dep early tomorrow for the 320 sim destructing job. I didn't realise I needed to take so much sh!t. I have 2 medium size cabin bags and 3 cargo ones stuffed to the gunnels. I dunno what a gunnel is but I assume it's that point where any more stuff packed inside will cause any bag to simply explode.

I'll be a bit busy for the next 10 days so I won't be posting too often except here and there.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6238 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 am

Slasher, for some reason (maybe meeting Ex-As) I had the impression that all members here travel light - a cabin size bag even for a week long stay. Will you be staying at a hotel or you will be getting an apartment in Singapore? I guess a hotel room requires much less stuff I guess.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6239 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 am

Thursday town day. Quite a number of things to do starting with haircut which is 50 km away t'other side of town.

Thought I had sent this obviouly not. Hair done. Breakfast beer in the safari camp nearby then back through town to do all the chores.

Have fun Capt.

RiS I think that you find that Capt Slasher has about 100 manuals to carry and a club or two to 'Honkers' not 'Singers'

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6240 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 am