The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#9381 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:19 am

OFSO, not woodlice but snails. We had an outdoor socket, difficult to reach, and the cover was not latched. When I opened it the whole was packed with snails.

ribrash

#9382 Post by ribrash » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:26 am
Just talking to my BIL in London. The intake sensor/safety valve failed on his four year old dishwasher hose this spring. Replacement cost £220 for new part. New dishwasher cost just under £400.
Put the question into Youtube.A site show me how to fix my washing machine for the cost of £2 for a capacitor.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9383 Post by ian16th » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 am

Dishwashers

Had a Bosch for umpteen years, trouble free. When It did stop I thought that I'd had my money's worth and bought a new one.

Told the delivery drive that he could have the old one. Big mistake!
The new one was rubbish and constant trouble.
SM was so dis-chuffed that she declined my offer of a replacement!

Washing M/C's

Speed Queen!
I know they are not pretty and they are BIG and take up space, don't fit neatly under the work top, but they just keep going!
And buy the expensive one with a stainless steel drum, it is lighter than the enamelled one.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9384 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:30 am

Wodrick, some times you want the bloody things to fail. We had a massive Swedish Electrolux upright freezer. 20 years on, not withstanding the rust on the thick steel case, it still worked but probably as inefficient as hell, but in modern styling it was just functional. Also had a Servis washing machine and tumble dryer. We had them stacked. Their attraction was they were compact models, full size drums in small cases. They were under maintenance contact, serviced annually and basically renewed over time. After about 20 years we could have had replacements for the same cost. The replacement washing machine lasted 4 years. We asked out repair man what to buy - Bosch he said - fingers crossed. If all the programs we used about 4. Same with the tumble drier, stacks of features, use few.

Slasher

#9385 Post by Slasher » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 am

At the airport about to bugger off to BKK. Then BKK-HKG.

Had such a great time at home with the fam. Baptised the gazeeb with some friends over, and me and Ap retiled some parts of the kitchen floor. My kid mastered spins and another couple of bottles found their way from the Gulf.

Roger on the Arctic mornings and current dry wx at the Manor sah. I reckon those mammoths are gonna need some serious watering.

My expected two new infants I've been told are still attached to mum's tits. Just hope they'll be smart and committed as my first kids.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9386 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:27 am

Morning folks a 5 deg start but warm now.

Slasher:
Roger on the Arctic mornings and current dry wx at the Manor sah. I reckon those mammoths are gonna need some serious watering.
Not too much required in the winter Capt. The sun is low in the sky and doesn't scorch everything.

Seems as if everything is breaking down on this forum. Started up the washing machine for the first time in three months and the booster pump is buggered. It is relatively new so I think that the iron in the bore hole water has jammed it up. Phoned the engineer he suggested dirt, same thing. Was given instructions but can't get the front off it. Will take it in on Monday. Town day Thursday was going to be a bit hectic so we can tick a few things off on Monday.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9387 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:37 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:27 am
Morning folks a 5 deg start but warm now.

Slasher:
Not too much required in the winter Capt. The sun is low in the sky and doesn't scorch everything.

Seems as if everything is breaking down on this forum. Started up the washing machine for the first time in three months and the booster pump is buggered. It is relatively new so I think that the iron in the bore hole water has jammed it up. Phoned the engineer he suggested dirt, same thing. Was given instructions but can't get the front off it. Will take it in on Monday. Town day Thursday was going to be a bit hectic so we can tick a few things off on Monday.
I hope I don't tempt Murphy too much, but at times like that the extra warranty cover I bought seems money well spent.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9388 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 pm

RiS I do not know Greek contractual law but in the UK extra warranty cover is a rip off. Having said that a friend on Amorgos bought a new cooker which didn't work. He was only offered credit at the shop not a refund or a replacement.

It was hilarious. The top I think was from a different model. There were big gaps around the side. The shop owner claimed it was for air to get it. I know, I was there. =))

See: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... y-worth-it
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9389 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Went into town this morning. A shop I'd never seen before, big burly bearded Musselman with rolling eyes and a grin selling mostly unknown brands of goods plus a few such as Whirlpool, at half price plus €20 delivery. Claimed they were all brand new and indeed some did have original wrapping and transport packaging, but all the manuals were in, er, Cyrillic Russian. Now you know what happens when ISIS intercepts a convoy. Onto a Spanish retailer, usual total indifference. Left. Then to Carrefour hypermarket. Amazing, just what I wanted, a massive Daewoo, new and solid, silver/grey so matches the rest of the stuff, €350 plus €19 delivery and installation and dead dishwasher recovery. Took 40 minutes to order due to idiot only-French speaking people ahead of me, living on a camp site, not knowing address, phone number ((theirs !)) etc., generally behaving as you'd expect, i.e. complete arseholes, but finally sales lady turned to me, I had everything filled out for her, got the last Daewoo dishwasher in their Barcelona store, comes on Tuesday. We shall see....

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9390 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Out on me canal doing maintenance stuff in glorious warm sunshine. Then all of a sudden, a very bright flash, a very loud crack of thunder almost immediately afterwards and the heavens opened. Soaked to the skin quicker than falling into the canal.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9391 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 pm
RiS I do not know Greek contractual law but in the UK extra warranty cover is a rip off. Having said that a friend on Amorgos bought a new cooker which didn't work. He was only offered credit at the shop not a refund or a replacement.

It was hilarious. The top I think was from a different model. There were big gaps around the side. The shop owner claimed it was for air to get it. I know, I was there. =))

See: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... y-worth-it
Some interesting comments particularly the paragraph about "know what you’re buying". The extended warranty I bought for my washing machine covers three additional years although I have not checked how fast the technician would visit. In any case I handle the private health insurance and the extended warranty as way not to have to use them if you know what I mean.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#9392 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 pm

With the Sproglettes away at Latitude with their half sister for the weekend, I suggested to Senora Larss that we go for a nice, romantic meal at a place of her choice before coming home and making a lot noise. She has chosen a place called Cosmos which seems to be a fancy 'all you can eat' buffet with long tables where you squeeze in where you can.
Hmmm. I have my doubts but at least can't be blamed! Hope the lots of noise goes better.

Re domestic appliances: about 6 years ago we bought a Hoover/Candy washer drier. Works in they it dries and washes clothes effectively and in the right order. With the four of us, it is in what seems like constant use. When bought, I took out the 5 year warranty. The thing seems to have a hissy fit every few months and a screen comes up with an error message. I call the hotline and the technician comes within 2 days.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9393 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:11 pm

The pool is now as blue as the sky. Can just see the bottom but it is not crystal clear. It is a fine balance. Loads of chlorine to turn it blue but then it gets cloudy. Pumped it for 8 hours today. I am reluctant to put any more chemicals in. I am sure just time and filtering will clear it up. Hope none of the staff fall in. With all that chlorine they will turn white.

Loads of grumpy hippos outside snorting.

Watching Private Benjamin at the moment. Seen it many times before but always find it amusing.

Well RiS your theory about private health insurance hasn't worked for us but we did get our monies worth. Private exec jets to JNB etc

Edit, very grumpy hippos, never heard them so noisy. hope they do not keep this up all night. Bellowing, snorting, eating weed noisily and blowing huge bubbles, not sure from which end. :-o

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9394 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:31 pm

I saw one appliance with the name Candy on it. Not heard of that before. Looking at many of them, the knobs and switches and dials were in almost identical locations despite different manufacturers names. The inference is obvious, made by Spanish peasants up in the mountains... Looking at German fridges, they all use the same brittle wafer-thin plastic doors and trays which fracture quickly. Our eight foot tall Siemens fridge/freezer also had the upper door, lower hinge bracket snap this year with obvious consequences: door fell off, objects on shelves in door fell out and broke. A cheap metal casting for the hinge, unsuitable for a heavy door. The previous Bosch fridge/freezer ate the hinge, door jammed. I fabricated a new hinge. Don't get me started on German 'quality'. As for our Smeg cooker....made by apprentices who failed to get a job with Fiat....

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#9395 Post by CremeEgg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Llars - went to a Cosmos in Croydon once for nephews birthday around 1700hrs - customers roughly half white half black. Food ok for a mass produced international menu although the Italian stuff looked dry. Best indicator was that those of the right ethnicity were eating their own. Indian, Chinese, Thai OK. Sweets disappointingly sickly but it is a child orientated display. As much as you can eat in a strictly observed 2 hour period. Within 5 minutes of the two hours we were virtually pushed out of the door. Went back with a group of friends around 2000hrs some weeks later - we eight were the only reflectives in the 1200 seater restaurant.

Never been back - now trading under another name after local public health people found the place crawling with rats.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#9396 Post by Groundgripper » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm

I saw one appliance with the name Candy on it. Not heard of that before
Candy Group boasts a workforce comprising approximately 5,000 employees, has 6 production plants located in Italy, Turkey, Russia and China...
Italian...'nuff said?

A new toilet seat was declared necessary (well, it was very old and getting a bit tatty - wood with the paint starting to wear off), so I took myself off to the local orange DIY establishment and was confronted with a wall about 10 feet high and 20 feet long with, apparently, about 50 different options displayed. Spoiled for choice, I thought. However, when I looked closer (needing binoculars to read the labels of the top row - thanks B&Q), they were all different sizes (and different shapes). :-o Luckily I had taken a few measurements and found that only two nearly matched my dimensions, the only 'choice' being whether I wanted a 'standard close' or a 'soft close' version.
There were at least three other people trying to sort out their own correct version and it amazed us all how many different sizes exist. You'd have thought that there would be some sort of standardization - I'm surprised that the EU hasn't issued a diktat on it considering most of the crap that Brussels churns out.

Still, bought, taken home, fitted in 10 minutes and approved of by Senior Management. o:-)

It comes to something when the high point of the day is the installation of a new bog seat. #-o

GG

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9397 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Ex-A as I was typing the part about health insurance, I did remember your air-med evacuation.

Similarly when I drive, I try to park as to leave without reversing and not make any unnecessary movement the first few and the last minutes of driving.

It seems I spend quite some time in this forum.

Regarding pools, I have been told about a communal pool by the sea filled every Monday with sea water. Swimming was unpleasant over the weekend.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9398 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:39 pm

See they is rioting in HKG - they mustafa heard *Slasher* returns 😁
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9399 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:46 pm

It comes to something when the high point of the day is the installation of a new bog seat.
The high point of your day was beating the decline of civilisation, which is worth celebrating ;)))

Humidex 36, Temp 29 in the shade here, except my job isn't in the shade. Still bashing away at old concrete foundations and clearing undergrowth - good for the waistline if nothing else. And I do have a/c to come back to now, which is bliss. I've got to get cracking as today is mossie-free (woo hoo!), and there are only a couple of deer fly around. The bloodsuckers have taken off for the weekend - I am guessing they are all up at the local oyster festival tucking in to the revellers. Suits me!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9400 Post by ian16th » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Groundgripper wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Still, bought, taken home, fitted in 10 minutes and approved of by Senior Management. o:-)
Never had trouble fitting one, but on at least 2 occasions the removal of the old seat has been a hacksaw job to cut through rusted on nuts & bolts.
Cynicism improves with age