The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#8821 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:35 am

It depends what you are doing. If you are doing a photo strip you need precision. Similarly if you were doing a visual search you need to ensure accurate coverage.

The height, 5,000 feet, track spacing, and now over land certainly suggests photo recce. I would guess Google as IIRC the latest imagery in that area is 2009/2011.

There are of course at least three sources for 'satellite' imagery. If I call up each on my phone or computer I can get 3 different states for my home build. The latest is last summer when we had a new, red, parasol up.

So far he has done 6 legs and got as far as the A52.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8822 Post by Ibbie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:09 am

Just checked the external temperature....Heading past 34c heading for 35 in the garden bar.

Unusal inbound at AGP. Boeing 787-9 A9C-FA,Gulf Air, operating from CMN to AGP GF20.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8823 Post by Magnus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:31 am

om15, liked the piccy of G-ALXN. My first time airborne was on G-ALXM. I was 6yo.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8824 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 am

Just reached my forecast maximum today of 26C and still climbing slowly - so unusual for these parts. Stonehaven is packed with tourists today, nowhere to park for the shops so came back home. Looks as though the Olympic size salt water outdoor pool in the town is mobbed. It's usually heated to 29C - no need to heat it today. Yesterday lots of German, Dutch and French voices around.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8825 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:49 am

150,000 expected on the beach in Brighton today because it is a just comfortable 35° Absolutely rediculous. Why don't they go hiking or summat.

Our woofter mate is stable at home in Stockholm. He can do TripAdvisor on Naxos Hospital, chopper rides, Athens Hospital and Stockholm Hospital. Plus a few ambulance rides.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8826 Post by om15 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Magnus, G-ALXM operated with BEA from 1950 to 1960, it was then re-registered in the Netherlands as PH-MAA and operated with Martin Air Charter, the last operator was Air Transport Inc at Houston, registered as N37737, it was withdrawn from service in 2009, so a good innings.

This is the history of UK registration from the CAA records, it looks like it was civilianised by Fields before being sold on to BEA, Fields were a big maintenance organisation at this time, also carrying out maintenance for the RAF and the USAF.

Capture.PNG
Apologies for aviation content, Misty is back from the slammer, her spirit has not been crushed by being banged up, she has cleared the garden of all birds and is glaring balefully at the bird table in the hope of attacking a crow.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#8827 Post by Groundgripper » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Reconnaissance Ventures Cessna out of Nottingham
Could be the one that was over our way last week, Registration G-NOSE, done out in Ordnance Survey livery.

GG

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8828 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Hot on me canal today. One is now consuming a couple of cool beers.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8829 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Dull, raining....temp has crept up to 17 but only the mossies have responded. Yesterday the same. Tomorrow the same.
Have taken my own advice and decided to drink heavily. It is, after all, Armed Forces Day. Just helped TB polish off a bottle of Moet; now on the Shiraz. We shall now watch Gregory Peck telling it like it is, taking names and kicking butt in 'Twelve O'clock High'.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8830 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Of course it is dull, raining and 13C: it's a (bank) holiday weekend. Duh! Left LHR in similar weather last weekend and arrived on the Costa del Dorval aka YUL to 27C. Flying east again (thanks Mr Boeing, not) it was downhill thereafter. Thank you to all my mates telling me about the UK heatwave. :-w Yes, 31C in the shade in Wokingham at 8pm. That'll end when I return to the UK in a week. :D Ooh, wine glass is topped up - movie time!

ribrash

#8831 Post by ribrash » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm
Dull, raining....temp has crept up to 17 but only the mossies have responded. Yesterday the same. Tomorrow the same.
Have taken my own advice and decided to drink heavily. It is, after all, Armed Forces Day. Just helped TB polish off a bottle of Moet; now on the Shiraz. We shall now watch Gregory Peck telling it like it is, taking names and kicking butt in 'Twelve O'clock High'.
Outstanding. :-bd

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#8832 Post by jimtherev » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Up on me railway today and heard a bit of stuff I must have missed when it was announced 3 weeks ago.
The early May bank holiday has been moved to Friday 8th May - VE Day. Seems like a good idea - something to celebrate.
Except...
Many, if not most, of the 2020 calendars have already been printed. What do the manufacturers do?
Send 'em out with an 'errata' sticker?
Junk the lot and start again?
Or what at least one manufacturer has decided to do: dis-assemble each machine-produced calendar, by hand, insert the amended month, week or day page, and glue it back together again. First horror-struck estimate: half a million quid.

Oh well, whatever politician made that decision will probably have been voted out of office by the time next May comes round.

Oh dear.

Slasher

#8833 Post by Slasher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm
Just helped TB polish off a bottle of Moet; now on the Shiraz. We shall now watch Gregory Peck telling it like it is, taking names and kicking butt in 'Twelve O'clock High'.
Good to hear of your alcohol injection Fox. 👍🏻 May there be many more!

Don't forget old Greg Peck blew a gasket at the end getting aboard Gately's Leper Colony. The movie shooting schedule must've taken quite a toll! ;)))

Woody! 👍🏻

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8834 Post by handsfree » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:12 am

I wonder how the Canadian heads are feeling this morning. :-h

What a warm night it was. Didn't manage much kip and gave up at 4 o'clock.
A very pleasant start here. Blue sky, 13C and a bit of a breeze. Forecast for much cooler weather today and a
high of 20C.

Gammon steak with jersey Royals, broad beans and fresh peas for lunch, so minimal prep to do.

Wodrick; yes, I was on home peritoneal dialysis for 18 months but my peritoneum has stopped working as an osmotic filter
and I've been switched on to haemodialysis which entails 3 weekly 4 hours sessions on the machine. Its ok but a tad boring.
I think I'm going have to try and find something useful to do in those 4 hours, like improve my foreign languages.

Breakfast calls.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8835 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 am

Heatwave in London is over. Woke up to 14° this morning and breezy in Twickenham. Classic car and hot rod show in Bushy Park today. Going in my BILs highly modified '37 pickup with V8 clockwork.
Media 081.jpg

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8836 Post by Woody » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:58 am

Morning all, much cooler in the Royal Borough this morning and the local airport is running on Westerly ops, much easier to sleep when you don’t have aircraft flying over at 2,500 feet from 0430.
Starting to empty the brick built garden shed today as it’s being converted into a mancave next week, will try to post pictures.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8837 Post by Ibbie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:24 am

Normal weather. Presently 23c someone has suggested a high of 29c.........don't think it will be so low somehow.

Capetonian

#8838 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 am

Mrs. goes shopping yesterday. Later I opened the fridge to put in a few small items. After about 5 minutes rearranging contents, and removing some stuff that's ended up at the back or at the bottom and needs to be thrown, There is now 50% free space.

Woken early by an unusual sound, two beautiful swallows darting around above me. They came for two visits.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8839 Post by om15 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08 am

Dug up some first earlies yesterday, enough to last the week from one plant, so a good crop, pulled the onions and laid out to dry, will have to give the allotment a good weed this week.

Bit of sad news, Fergus the pony who has lived for many years in the field passed away while we were on holiday, he was 37 years old.

Today I have to check the Royal Oak is still serving London Pride, then back on the wagon after the holiday, had a steady daily intake of Brains during the holiday and feel much better for it. Warm and sticky this morning, no rain forecast for two weeks.

Capetonian

#8840 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25 am

There is a Royal Oak in Tableview (CPT), I tend to steer clear as it's a very British sports bar type pub and really not my scene. However, the locals are friendly and the food is good, and for anyone who likes that type of pub, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

When I was a kid, one of my distant (but not distant enough) unspeakable relatives on my mother's side ran a Royal Oak in north London, I think it was Finchley Road. I am sure it has been closed for years, probably replaced by a MuckDonalds, a charity shop, or a BlockBusters.