Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#19521 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:37 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:27 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:15 am
Mrs Ex-Ascot has a new phone but same number as stolen phone
How do they do that?
The key is on the SIM - you move a SIM card around phones and keep the same number. You show your ID card get a new SIM card and have the same number on your old or a new phone. I did it when I switched phones and needed a different size SIM. Fun fact if you have a smart-phone you have the option of rapidly setting it up like the old one when asked if you want to do so when a new SIM card is installed for the first time on a phone.

Ex-Ascot, my question is why you didn't use the itemised bill to see the numbers the robbers dialled?

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19522 Post by handsfree » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:29 am

Morgen.
Mr Sun is on top form today. 18C at present and 30C forecast.
Garden watering in order and then into Derby for supplies.

TODAY IS FRIDAY

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19523 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:37 am
G-CPTN wrote:
Ex-Ascot wrote:
How do they do that?
Ex-Ascot, my question is why you didn't use the itemised bill to see the numbers the robbers dialled?
Pay as you go.

The cops can also trace any phone calls made from the phone with a different SIM card in by taking the bar code off the box. They are doing that for the phone stolen in September but not recovered. They have to go to Gabs to do that. I have questioned this with a number of people and apparently it has to be done in Gabs. We are still short of three guys from the September robbery. The leader was the same for both.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19524 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 am

I seriously hope the leader is put out of circulation for a long time.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19525 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:09 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 am
I seriously hope the leader is put out of circulation for a long time.
Talking to the chief the other day he said armed robbery is just 5 years. Surely not. They are charged with GBH as well. A guy here has just been sent down for 10 yrs for borrowing a mobile phone and then threatening the guy with a knife if he didn't let him keep it.

The chief is going to try to get the leader removed from our community when he gets out. No idea how.

Edit just looked it up:
The Botswana Penal Code envisaged a maximum sentence of 20 years for robbery and one of life imprisonment, where personal violence to the victim was used.
:-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19526 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:14 am

Morning all.
Usual CdS sunny day 28c presently.

Watering and sweeping done for day. Nothing else planned.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19527 Post by Wodrick » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:16 am

Morning all,
26c target 31c, that means it will be warmer in the south of England than the CdS !

I think I might have an abscess above a front tooth, emergency appointment for 13.00.

Paco (Aqua) came and might have fixed the water leak. As is tradition he has left a considerable mess and killed a cactus in the process.
We don't mind that as it needed removing anyway but he has just left a pile of dead/dying cactus. I have asked him to get it moved.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19528 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 am

Does life mean life or out as soon as you can convince some sandal wearing liberal that you are a reformed character?

I saw a film, Oceans 8 I think, all women jewellery thieves. Lots of good ideas. I loved the opening scene where the chief baddie convinces the unseen parole officer that she has learnt her lesson.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19529 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:27 am

Just East of Hands Free, already 20 for 32. Wasn't going to take the dog out this morning as she was playing last night. Anyway she was keen so we went out a little late, 7.20,and she chose a route where she can be off the lead and chase rabbits.

She got within 20 yards of one before it escaped through a fence. Then another ran out in front of her before squeezing through a gate. Gate is supposed to be shut; it wasn't. I wondered how I was going to get her back but to my surprise she reappeared moments later and sat waiting.

Only did 2 miles and she was ready for a cold bath.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19530 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:42 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 am
Does life mean life or out as soon as you can convince some sandal wearing liberal that you are a reformed character?

I saw a film, Oceans 8 I think, all women jewellery thieves. Lots of good ideas. I loved the opening scene where the chief baddie convinces the unseen parole officer that she has learnt her lesson.
No idea here PN. The first problem is to get them sentenced. We are the wrong colour. They wouldn't prosecute at Christmas two years ago when the leader beat me up when I went to ask him to turn down his jungle bunny noise. The local police wouldn't even arrest him they were so frightened. The town coppers went in armed this time. He will probably get in to a fight in prison, if he hasn't already, and get his sentence increased.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#19531 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 am

He will probably get in to a fight in prison, if he hasn't already, and get his sentence increased.
I'm sure that could be, erm, 'arranged' for a suitable fee. [-X

GG

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19532 Post by ian16th » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
G-CPTN wrote:
Ex-Ascot wrote:
How do they do that?
The key is on the SIM - you move a SIM card around phones and keep the same number. You show your ID card get a new SIM card and have the same number on your old or a new phone. I did it when I switched phones and needed a different size SIM. Fun fact if you have a smart-phone you have the option of rapidly setting it up like the old one when asked if you want to do so when a new SIM card is installed for the first time on a phone.

Pay as you go doesn't give a bill of any sort.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19533 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 am

ian16th wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
G-CPTN wrote:

How do they do that?

Pay as you go doesn't give a bill of any sort.
I didn't know that Ex-A use the Pay as you go!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19534 Post by OFSO » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Huawei use a cloning app on old and new phone. Transfers most of what you have and sets it up the same way on the new phone. I cloned into my Huawei media pad which now thinks it is a phone although it doesn't have a SIM slot...it's slightly confused....

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19535 Post by EA01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm

They wouldn't prosecute at Christmas two years ago when the leader beat me up when I went to ask him to turn down his jungle bunny noise
Goodness me Ex, you've been on the receiving end of some uncalled for violence there!?!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19536 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Ventured up to the lock restoration on me canal to find a kit of parts being delivered.

It's the gates plus other bits of furniture needed to make 'em work.
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG (121.68 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Hope he remembered to bring the assembly instructions.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19537 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:59 pm

RiS
I didn't know that Ex-A use the Pay as you go!
We would have to go to the Orange office every month to pay for a contract. The queue is always long. Don't know how we would get an itemised bill from apart from the office. Maybe e-mail or an online account. but still have to pay it somehow. Easier to just buy units from about 200 outlets in town. Also no massive bill if it is nicked. Three nicked in robberies so far. Also usually not here for three months a year. Had two sim cards stolen by a housekeeper here but they were our Greek ones =))

EA01 it is just this one chap. They are generally very gentle people. I just shouted at our estate manager once and he burst into tears. This guy is a lunatic. In the UK I am sure that he would be put into a nut house. He was shacked up with a dismissed house keeper of ours and she has egged him on to get back at us. The police wanted him for bashing up someone in the village but were frightened to go and get him. He was thrown out of the village so moved into a shack in the bush 750m from us.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19538 Post by Magnus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Spent an hour sweltering in a poly tunnel to pick raspberries (just over 3kg) for jam. Got home and MrsP has decided it's too hot to stand stirring the jam pan.

Negotiated a chinese takeaway for tea from a great local restaurant. I have a sneaking suspicion that a pint of something refreshing may be consumed while waiting.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19539 Post by om15 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Took a walk down the river Stour this morning, very hot and sunny, small groups of families sheltering under the trees with children splashing and cavorting, it was very tranquil and peaceful and a pleasure to enjoy, meanwhile 25 miles away most of England has descended on Bournemouth beach, which is by now covered in Covid spores and multiplying by the minute, perhaps we will reach a point whereby the ignorers of guidelines will all have passed away into the arms of Jesus and we can get our County back.
Annotation 2020-08-07 155656.png
Annotation 2020-08-07 155656.png (407.02 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19540 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Om15, I hope you don't regret what you said.

Imagine if the media follow ON too!