The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6241 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 am

Cold, windy and sunny up here in northern Iberia. Note that I sleep much better in London where the ancient windows let in a draught than in Spain with air-tight double-glazing. Noise levels are higher in Spain with wind, birds, wild boar rampaging in the ravine below.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6242 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 am

Opposite with me OFSO. Can't sleep with traffic noise but sleep through any natural sounds in the bush including baboons who are very loud. Friends who stay with us from the UK have difficulty sleeping here at first. At NHT our house was next to 6 railway lines. Got used to it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6243 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:26 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 am
At NHT our house was next to 6 railway lines.
Shortly after his marriage, I went to stay with my best man - at Widdrington Station - with the East Coast Main Line immediately at the bottom of their back garden.
A new-build house, so the garden was 'modest' (ie small).
Furthermore, the railway was built up on an embankment such that the level coincided with the upstairs windows.
They slept at the front of the house, whereas we, as guests were housed in the back bedroom.
On retiring, there soon came the sound of a distant 'whistle' - the 'mechanical' sound caused by the movement of the express train through the air rather than any warning sound.
Then there was the tremendously loud explosive clatter (that didn't last long - the expresses didn't stop at such a minor station - but was sufficient to cause 'WTF was that') followed by the receding 'whistle' as the train disappeared on its way - the section of track was the fastest section of the entire Main Line so the expresses were at maximum chat . . .

They insisted that the noise didn't affect their sleep, and their 'living room' was at the front of the house so we hadn't noticed the trains during the evening before we went to bed.
We, however, were raised upright as every fast train passed through the night.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6244 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 am

The London flat bedroom looks out on the garden, trees everywhere, ringed by similar houses and is utterly quiet. Quieter than Spain. OK, once in a while the NRs four doors down have a jungle music evening but only audible out the front. I'd happily buy out the co-owner but if you know what ancient flats are selling for in Islington you'll know what's stopping me.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6245 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 am

I'm now used to country sounds like Ex-A. I was just now able to hear a single truck on the highway a mile and a half away, very faint, because it wasn't natural. However, I spent almost all my childhood living within earshot of the East Coast Main Line*, listening to the sounds of the big Gresley steam locomotives, and then the unique Deltic diesels, and I still like those particular sounds, especially at night. When I was living on a yacht, one gets used to all the normal sounds, and a change, like the tide reversing or the wind getting up, would always wake me.

As for these guys

* My nursery as a baby was 500 foot from the line, just at the point where the locomotives would first reach top speed coming out of King's Cross.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6246 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 am

Thinking about it, I always remember being able to hear those locomotives from a long way off, so I remember it as a gentle build-up rather than a sudden explosion of sound. The steam locos 3 cylinder exhaust, and the unique deep thrum of the Deltics' scavenge blowers and triple cylinder pair arrangement were both soothing and almost musical.
I've just discovered someone has put an hour's worth of that sound on a youtube soundtrack, to help people sleep! Try it for a minute.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6247 Post by Ibbie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 am

Guy who was recommended to us for a new kitchen has come up with an outrageous price.

Searching for further quotes today,

Tis Thursday and "The Artist" is preparing for departure. She also has a dentist appointment at 15.00, so she better not *be late back from art.

Another blue sunny day on the Costa.

You can't beat a good Napier roar fox3

Slasher

#6248 Post by Slasher » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 am
gunnel = gunwale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunwale
Thanks CPTN. 👍🏻

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6249 Post by ricardian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 am

Shortly after we moved up here in 2004 the late Mrs R had the delightful experience one afternoon of being in the greenhouse with the sun shining from a clear blue sky, hearing nothing but the sound of waves lapping the beach about a hundred yards away, seals wailing on the rocks adjacent to the beach, and the Angelus bell from Golgotha Monastery almost a mile away.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6250 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am

Went to stay with friends just outside of Houston Texas and when we went to bed we were told that about 0100 and 0330 we may be awakened by a noise but not to worry because it was just a goods train. I'll say we were woken up, the racket was very loud, the bed was shaking and went on for a long time because the train was about two miles long!! Next day i looked out of the bedroom window and the rail line was about 30 feet away.. Friends said after about a week they just slept through it.
Mostly blue here the wind is from the WNW about force 7 or 8, it is choppy on the river and the visibility is very good.
Thought a nautical forecast would be appropriate as we remember the FSL, as fellow mariner i had a lot of time for him and his wit and intelligence was worth listening too.
May he be sailing peacefully through the high heavens now..

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6251 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Sad to hear about the FSL - always enjoyed his posts. Bright, windy and 10C today. Just about to get changed into my funeral togs to say farewell to an old pilot mate. Looking forward to catching with others who I've shared a cockpit with and who I haven't seen for at least 20 years.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6252 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 am

Morning all,

'tis a beautiful day although cooler than yesterday.

Little Brother lives about 200m from the A46 and naturally guests are honoured with sleeping on the A46 side of the house.
Living, as we do, in complete silence, resting there is difficult. Here it is so quiet that the aircraft noise is not AGP movements but overflights at 35,000' tearing the air apart.

I have been tasked with locating two specific 'Slinky' pictures, the one I use for my avatar and another. I have no idea where they are in my collection.

Something to keep me occupied.

SM has gone for the routine (I hope) breast x-ray and then she is going to try to change to an English speaking doctor who will.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6253 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Also sorry to hear of the death of the FSL, an absolute legend on TOP and possibly the starter of the longest thread in history.
Sproglette Senior buggered up her ankle playing football last night. Very swollen this morning. Called GP at about 0800. Immediate appointment and seen at 0840. Appointment made for 1030 at hospital for x-ray. Done and doc seen by 1045. No break, thank goodness. Instructions to take it easy for a while. One was impressed by speed and efficiency of it all
Well done NHS.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6254 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:32 pm

A large ww2 pipe bomb has apparently been discovered under Manston's runway, intended for demolition if the Germans invaded.
Based on a briefing I once had from the BD types, that only leaves about 1,999 more all over SE England to be discovered :-o

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6255 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:32 pm
A large ww2 pipe bomb has apparently been discovered under Manston's runway, intended for demolition if the Germans invaded.
Based on a briefing I once had from the BD types, that only leaves about 1,999 more all over SE England to be discovered :-o
Don't think NHT has anything to worry about. My first few landings there on my first posting would have set them off.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6256 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Demented sister phoned me this afternoon (delighted that she could do it) she had just been harassed by someone claiming to be the tax man and telling her that she was in serious trouble because she owed thousands in tax and would have to pay straight away. Fortunately she told them to phone her brother because he knew all about that sort of thing. She assures me that she didn't give out any bank details and i hope she is right.If they ring her again she is going to put the phone down on them. She was quite frightened about going to jail but i think i have convinced her that it was all a scam and she doesn't owe anybody anything.
I called her building society and asked them to keep an eye on her account, they told me it is being continually monitored and they have a very good fraud department who will pick up anything out of the ordinary.
So far nothing has moved in her account today.
Apparently this tax scam is very popular at the moment, particularly with the old folk..

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6257 Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Whodathunkit? An innocent corned beef sandwich and a few crisps (US: chips) look like costing me a three figure sum. Munching away contentedly and felt/heard a crunch. Tomorrow, the fang fettler is doing temporary repair of a molar (I've lost a cusp and a chunk of old filling), then I've to go back later for permanent rebuild of tooth. BLX.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6258 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Had a very useful reminder today to renew my EHIC as it is running out. Only charge me £27.

B l**dy crooks

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6259 Post by Karearea » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Just enjoyed bacon an' eggs an' a mushroom, with black pepper, & *GWP.

*Garnished With Parsley
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Capetonian

#6260 Post by Capetonian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:10 pm

I have also had the 'tax people' telling me that there is a warrant and I must press 1 to speak to someone to avoid being arrested. HMRC, but it's a USAmerican accent. Very convincing!

Unfortunately when I press 1 I just get cut off.