The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7961 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm

That voting was all bloody complicated. RiS yes I had a prepared voting paper but it was discussed. We personally know everyone we have voted for. Given 40 f...ing papers for the European election. Took me ages to find the blank one. Four booths in four different rooms four different boxes in each room. But very well organised. The duty lawyer from Syros was extremely professional. I managed to remember to pocket my illegal papers. Think I got it right. Not staying up for the count. Almost sure to go to a second round which means another week of meetings.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7962 Post by Ibbie » Sun May 26, 2019 4:47 pm

People working for several parties had to be slung out of the voting premises this morning, as they were canvasing people who had received their ballot papers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7963 Post by OFSO » Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 pm

First time ever we've been at the polling station and seen NO Policia Locale outside. In fact as my photo showed nobody outside at all. Even the restaurant cat Mini was absent. Mini has the same status as the rooks at the Tower, so looks bad for Castelló.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7964 Post by 4mastacker » Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 pm

A question for dog owners.

When a dog owner is using one of them extending leads, what length is considered to be the maximum extension for the dog to be considered as "under control"?

The reason I ask is because I had a barny today with a dog owner who's pooch nearly went under the wheels of me car whilst I was moving it on my driveway. I wasn't aware of the dog until the owner banged on the car window and started ranting that I should watch where I was going as I has nearly run over his dog. I was still on my driveway and the pooch was on the end of a lead which was about 15 feet long. Apparently the pooch had entered my driveway whilst the owner was still some distance from it. I told the owner that he should keep the dog under control and keep it on a shorter lead and furthermore, it was trespassing on my property. It wasn't a big dog, I think it was a Bichon Frise or something similar.

Your views please.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7965 Post by om15 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Better luck next time.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7966 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 26, 2019 8:06 pm

If the dog committed trespass, then it isn't under control, I would have thought. The length of the lead is immaterial. If the guy is on your driveway banging on your window, he's committing trespass also.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7967 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 pm

You can get typical length of 5 metres. You can also get 8 metres.

A dog at the full length is not under control as it has freedom of movement over a 30 metre circle. On a pavement one metre wide the free length should be under one metre.

I think you can work out the rest.

My wife and I have slightly different views on control. She will physically control the dog as soon as she sees any risk. I will let the dog walk on a slack lead while it is walking to heel but ready to restrain if it shows signs of surging.

How would your complaint have reacted had the dog suddenly run into the road?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7968 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 pm
That voting was all bloody complicated. RiS yes I had a prepared voting paper but it was discussed. We personally know everyone we have voted for. Given 40 f...ing papers for the European election. Took me ages to find the blank one. Four booths in four different rooms four different boxes in each room. But very well organised. The duty lawyer from Syros was extremely professional. I managed to remember to pocket my illegal papers. Think I got it right. Not staying up for the count. Almost sure to go to a second round which means another week of meetings.
I am not sure but you could spoil/cross out any ballot for the European Election and it would have the same value as the blank one. It went smoothly despite the four different boxes.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7969 Post by jimtherev » Sun May 26, 2019 10:28 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:54 pm
Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 pm
Computer won't power up, reason unknown as multimeter died yesterday.
I bet mine outlives me.

It's an AVO Mk8!
Some evil scrote nicked mine, together with a box of varied Snap-ons. Been working on the car, and left the stuff on the back seat over the weekend.
"I'm sure it'll be all right there. I've put a blanket over it"
X(

fin
Capt
Capt

#7970 Post by fin » Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:06 pm
If the dog committed trespass, then it isn't under control, I would have thought. The length of the lead is immaterial. If the guy is on your driveway banging on your window, he's committing trespass also.
In fact, if he pulled that stunt round these here parts, he might very likely have been shot in the face.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7971 Post by OFSO » Mon May 27, 2019 6:17 am

Back to the ballot box on the isle of Amorgos, I see, as a General Election looms for Greece.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7972 Post by Ibbie » Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 am

Morning.

Yes, another blue day here on the Costa. Current temp 17, heading for in excess of 24.

Early walk for Ed, before it gets too hot for him, then a trip to a charity shop with clothes no longer worn.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7973 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 am

We lost the f...ing election. No second round. The new mayor is a very good guy though but a weak team. He has a degree in economics from Warwick. Now we have to talk to him about a few things. Yes I know RiS but I found the blank one in the end.

If a dog is not at heel it is not under the owner's control. In the mountains here our dog was off the lead under it's own control. But trained. She was brought up as a sheep dog and took one look at a goat and thought I am retired not going near that.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7974 Post by Wodrick » Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 am

Morning all,
as reported from the other side, if the guesser continues the 26 will be more like 28.

Stan, the upholsterer, is coming this afternoon, well I'm going to get him as he has no transport.
he is going to try and patch Henry's hole in the cushion.

At Henry's obedience class an extending lead is not entertained. The only use for a long lead is recall training.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7975 Post by OFSO » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 am

Pool work. Flocculant created cloud at bottom that filter won't remove. Lowered emergency pump to bottom of pool, stuck 3" diameter hose off terrace, Mrs OFSO vacuumed it up. Now refilling pool. €€€ Will need second go on Wednesday after remaining crap settles. Pain in arse.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7976 Post by Wodrick » Mon May 27, 2019 9:40 am

Isn't it just.

Surely a man of your means could get a chap in .....................
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7977 Post by ian16th » Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am

When we moved down here to die, we deliberately didn't buy a house with a pool!

37 years ago, as newbies in SA, we were starstruck at the idea of having a pool of our own.
So we bought a house with one.
Utterly inexperienced in the arts of pool maintenance, I was quickly on a steep learning curve.

Now, I'm an expert, and I'm not having another one!
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7978 Post by G-CPTN » Mon May 27, 2019 11:01 am

Sounds like grassland to me . . .
My father-in-law renovated a farmhouse with a two-and-a-half acre garden - top lawn, orchard, top and bottom paddocks and a tennis court (when he had finished).
As a newly-wed I envied the expansive grassland and enjoyed riding on the 24 inch Webb mower.
When f-i-l died and we moved-in to look after m-i-l I found it soothing and relaxing after a week of travelling to spend four-and-a-half hours mowing.
I bought a garden tractor and composted the cuttings - until the piles of unused compost used-up all the suitable pile locations (though chopped leaves in autumn rotted down quickly and provided adequate compost for the garden's needs).
I took to burning the grass cuttings together with the prunings from the dozens of trees.
After I retired (with a health problem) I found the grass-cutting was a chore, and when I downsized I made sure that there was no grass.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7979 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 27, 2019 11:10 am

Ian, our pool was a metal liner above ground. Lasted about 10 years with grand kids loving it. After about 5 years I had to put a metal patch round the inlet. Later much larger patch with several sheets.

About to sell the house and immediately pre-op for cancer had another major leak. Decided pool was a liability not an asset. Removed the pool and then had to rebuild the deck.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7980 Post by Magnus » Mon May 27, 2019 12:14 pm

If it helps salve anyone's conscience, Ms Agutter was born in 1952, and "Walkabout" was made in 1971, so I think 18 during the filming.