Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4602 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 pm
A navigation experiment!
=)) =))

Coming next ch*mtr**l flights, with inflight demonstrations, where’s my tinfoil hat :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#4603 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am
Slash, I am sure you are as fed up (in a manner of speaking) with my piss poor poetry and teasing about your diet as you are with the diet itself, so I will desist and inform you that I, too, have just started a diet and the pain thereof is not going to be ameliorated by moonshine so I guess the last laugh is on me.
Not in the least mate. In fact your poetry is actually quite good. The only poetry that I'm actually capable of can be seen in the Limerick thread.

Lunch was a pile of bloody salad as anticipated. For dinner me missus dished up another, but out of matrimonial pity and basic humanity she gave me a sossie with it. Man talk about livin' the high life! :)

I'd kill for TS's tomato risotto right now. :ymsigh:

Ah...I see it's my post din-din moonshine time! 🥃

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4604 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am
Slash, I am sure you are as fed up (in a manner of speaking) with my piss poor poetry and teasing about your diet as you are with the diet itself, so I will desist and inform you that I, too, have just started a diet and the pain thereof is not going to be ameliorated by moonshine so I guess the last laugh is on me.
Not in the least mate. In fact your poetry is actually quite good. The only poetry that I'm actually capable of can be seen in the Limerick thread.

Lunch was a pile of bloody salad as anticipated. For dinner me missus dished up another, but out of matrimonial pity and basic humanity she gave me a sossie with it. Man talk about livin' the high life! :)

I'd kill for TS's tomato risotto right now. :ymsigh:

Ah...I see it's my post din-din moonshine time! 🥃
You are too kind Slash! ;)))

I am contemplating what to make for lunch! I fancy chicken and chips but it looks like it will salad and falafel for me. @-)

Sigh.

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4605 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Your phone is always on: we were discussing where to live in London last night. Today on the BBC page on my phone is "cheapest places to live in London". Not only do they know what we are discussing but also that I am a tight bastard !

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4606 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

My gas bottle was also empty. Carried it up two flights today (easy) and the full one down (struggle). Put in stairwell heater. Then off with trailer to get stack of logs, cost €70 for a month's supply, extortionate. I forgot the biscuits for Tom and his mate, the log man's guard dogs. Still got waggy tails but they were disappointed.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4607 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Caco enlists help with his diet =))

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4608 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

The Dutch government have advised their citizens that "it is ill-advised to lie down on a bomb." Who'd have thought it ?

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re:Pusser's Rum.....

#4609 Post by Rossian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

......surely it can't still be the "original" stock C16? I had a taste of that from our RN exhange instructor on the Nimrod OCU (known fondly as "the Admiral") at one of our "boring old farts" lunches. Usually there were no senior members of staff available for the rest of the day afterwards. He only did it once as he wanted to preserve as much as he could for his own consumption down the road (a bit like "slasher" and his moonshine).

The Ancient Mariner

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4610 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

I came across Pusser's Rum being manufactured in Tortola in the British Virgin Islands in 1986 and it's made to the original recipe. You could get quite heady just standing outside their premises! I think they have now relocated to somewhere in the US.

The Navy still keeps supplies of pusser's rum for those occasions when HMQ orders "Splice the Mainbrace".
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4611 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm
I came across Pusser's Rum being manufactured in Tortola in the British Virgin Islands in 1986 and it's made to the original recipe. You could get quite heady just standing outside their premises! I think they have now relocated to somewhere in the US.

The Navy still keeps supplies of pusser's rum for those occasions when HMQ orders "Splice the Mainbrace".
What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Prompted by this interesting subject I was apt to look up the history of the Royal Navy ration of rum

From Wiki
A sailor's ration of alcohol was originally beer with a daily ration of one gallon (i.e. eight pints). This official allowance continued until after the Napoleonic Wars. When beer was not available, as it would often spoil easily, it could be substituted by a pint of wine or half a pint of spirits depending on what was locally available. In later years, the political influence of the West Indian planters led to rum being given the preference over arrack and other spirits. The half pint of spirits was originally issued neat; it is said that sailors would "prove" its strength by checking that gunpowder doused with rum would still burn (thus verifying that rum was at least 57% ABV).

The practice of compulsorily diluting rum in the proportion of half a pint to one quart of water (1:4) was first introduced in the 1740s by Admiral Edward Vernon (known as Old Grog, because of his habitual grogram cloak). The ration was also split into two servings, one between 10 am and noon and the other between 4 and 6 pm. In 1756 Navy regulations required adding small quantities of lemon or lime juice to the ration, to prevent scurvy.The rum itself was often procured from distillers in Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and the British Virgin Islands Rations were cut in half in 1823 and again in half, to the traditional amount, in 1850.

The rum tub of HMS Cavalier

The abolition of the rum ration had been discussed in Parliament in 1850 and again in 1881 however nothing came of it. In 1970, Admiral Peter Hill-Norton abolished the rum ration as he felt it could have led to sailors failing a breathalyser test and being less capable to manage complex machinery. This decision to end the rum ration was taken after the Secretary of State for Defence had taken opinions from several ranks of the Navy. Ratings were instead allowed to purchase beer, and the amount allowed was determined, according to the MP David Owen, by the amount of space available for stowing the extra beer in ships.[12] The last rum ration was on 31 July 1970 and became known as Black Tot Day as sailors were unhappy about the loss of the rum ration. There were reports that the day involved sailors throwing tots into the sea and the staging of a mock funeral in a training camp. In place of the rum ration, sailors were allowed to buy three one-half imperial pint (280 ml) cans of beer a day and improved recreational facilities.] While the rum ration was abolished, the order to "splice the mainbrace", awarding sailors an extra tot of rum for good service, remained as a command which could only be given by the Monarch and is still used to recognise good service.] Rum rations are also given on special occasions: in recent years, example included the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Royal Navy in 2010 and after the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012.
The US navy are dry. Must check why, bunch of funsters , not!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4612 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm
Caco enlists help with his diet =))
My dogs used to do that double paw bang thing when hunting rabbits! ;)))

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4613 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Note for readers from the western colonies, of Caco's posting.

All units are Imperial, that is 20 fluid ounces to the pint, not the miniature US pint of only 16 fluid ounces.
Both systems have 2 pints to the quart and 8 pints to the gallon.
Cynicism improves with age

reddo
Capt
Capt

#4614 Post by reddo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Sick of de-icing.
Now on holidays. Heading to San Francisco.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4615 Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 pm

On the subject of rum....

I was fond of Bundaberg overproof when we lived in Australia. Nice drop. My favourite rum, though, is Stewarts which I can only ever find in Shetland. It may now have been discontinued. I make do with OVD. There is a Volbeat branded rum (Danish rock band), but I'm not prepared to spring £75 to see if it's any good.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4616 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 pm

Son was diagnosed as having Menieres disease yesterday.
Sorry about that, but it reminds me of a friend diagnosed with that in the UK around 1960. He told us that one way to diagnose, (or treat, can't remember ?) was to introduce water into the ear canal, he attended a clinic in Slough and was treated by an overweight, Jamaican female nurse, who said " Now Mr. XXX I am going to pass water in your ear" "Oh no, you're bloody well not", he replied, and ran out of the clinic !

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4617 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 am
Son was diagnosed as having Menieres disease yesterday.
The late Mrs R was diagnosed with Menieres shortly after arriving here in 2004. Once diagnosis was confirmed our GP prescribed tablets (name now forgotten) to be taken twice daily and which kept the symptoms at bay for the rest of her life.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4618 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 am

I’ve just found out that I’ve shaken the hand of someone who shook the hand of someone whose aunt shook the hand of Napoleon. That’s fairly boring and pointless!

I once did some work with the broadcaster Alistair Cooke who shook the hand of the philosopher Bertrand Russell etc.......
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4619 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:06 am

C16, like it. +1
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Slasher

#4620 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 am

I once shook the hand of the husband of the woman who has the biggest tits in our town (an interior decorator).

I then felt I had groped and fondled 'em too! :)