The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7581 Post by Woody » Fri May 10, 2019 7:51 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7582 Post by ian16th » Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 am

There is going to be a shortage this year, something to do with the weather.
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7583 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri May 10, 2019 10:20 am

Wow, having been absent for a week there's no chance of catching up with all the posts.

An eventful few days with much time taken up changing hosts for my website and for the separate domain name I have for my emails. My website started DNS propagating at noon yesterday and still hasn't updated here at home - just have to be patient. Emails all working though. A stressful but necessary action as my current hosts who took over a previous one I was with were basically going to rip me off at my first renewal with them.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7584 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri May 10, 2019 10:56 am

I'm lucky to be here. A couple of days ago Mrs C16 had used the camping stove and gas canister that we keep in a dark hall cupboard in case of power cuts. She was doing some craft work boiling something or other. When she finished she disconnected the canister and put it and the stove back in the cupboard.

Next morning I went to the cupboard and switched on the light before opening the door. When open, the stench of butane gas was overpowering. The elderly canister had obviously not sealed when she disconnected the stove from it. Not her fault and the replacement canister is now stored in a shed. How there wasn't an explosion when I turned on the light I will never know. Not sure I have any of my 9 lives left now.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7585 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Butane, like most of the -anes, has an explosive upper mixture limit as well as a lower one. Ballpark figures are 2-10% fuel/air ratio. More than 10% and it won't go bang either. Lucky boy. I do what the RAF does and store all POL in a draughty shed with no power/lights nearby

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7586 Post by ian16th » Fri May 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Butane, like most of the -anes, has an explosive upper mixture limit as well as a lower one. Ballpark figures are 2-10% fuel/air ratio. More than 10% and it won't go bang either. Lucky boy. I do what the RAF does and store all POL in a draughty shed with no power/lights nearby
:-bd

My kitchen re-fit included a 5 burner gas hob, the two 19KG gas bottles with change over switch, were outside in a 'draughty shed'.
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7587 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Only problem I have is that my shed is about to become undraughty as I refurbish it. I am planning on using some of the sheet metal from the old heating system to construct an outside metal cupboard, unless I can get an old metal filing cabinet at a garage sale this summer.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7588 Post by OFSO » Fri May 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Tourists going around in short sleeve shirts because it is Greece and they are on holiday. Idiots.

Back in the Old Days I would occasionally have a meeting in Frascati. Often in February or November. Drive up hill in Adolfo Tedesco's Volvo taxi, town square, tables outside bars deserted, all locals indoors in thick coats and jackets drinking mulled wine. Then he would pull on the handbrake and say with a smile, "Alora, here are your colleagues". One bar, one table outside occupied by Germans, Dutch and French, all with jackets off, leaning back drinking wine. Local Italians looking at them as if mad. Yes, my colleagues all enjoying Italian winter weather.

You bet.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7589 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 10, 2019 3:20 pm

OFSO, one warm February in Naples we were walking in the pleasant warmth. This Italian fell in step with us. He was wearing a long overcoat, gloves, scarf and cap. He said "you must be English".

We commended his English. He said he had learnt as a farm worker in Lincolnshire in 1940s.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7590 Post by Woody » Fri May 10, 2019 4:04 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 am
There is going to be a shortage this year, something to do with the weather.
The shortage is going to be a lot worse by the end of the month :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7591 Post by OFSO » Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Mrs OFSO thought our 1996 IKEA wood-fronted kitchen looked tatty (correct, it did) and said she could repaint all the drawers, cupboards, ducting for extractor, in light grey, using professional paint bought for us in London by our decorator (and with water-based varnish) carried back to Spain on the train last Tuesday. Yes, it was heavy. Kitchen looked clean beforehand but degreasing proved otherwise. She's almost finished painting and I am utterly speechless at the superbness of her work. Black gesso kickboard: and all handles spent two hours in the dishwasher. Kitchen now looks 2019. If we ever get any Viewings they will be stunned. Now have to change all six LEDs as the old ones have gone yellow.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7592 Post by ricardian » Fri May 10, 2019 4:59 pm

I have just finished a three day ban from Facebook - a badge of honour according to some friends. Apparently I offended BBC Scotland on 29 April by posting a video to which BBC Scotland claim copyright and Facebook operate on the principle of "guilty until proved innocent". For the life of me I cannot remember what I posted on 29 April, I have enough trouble remembering to get dressed in the mornings
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

fin
Capt
Capt

#7593 Post by fin » Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 pm

I despise that site, but reluctantly have to admit that little Mark Z has, quite literally, changed the world as we know it. He can slough off multi-billion dollar fines from the EU without blinking.

Using a friend's ID, I posted a Spike Jones song that was probably sixty-five years old, and got a snottogram that it had been '"partly muted"' because the "music might belong to someone else'.

By partly muted, what they meant is that five notes (about one second in time) of the three and a half minute song were posted. The balance was muted.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

ribrash

#7594 Post by ribrash » Fri May 10, 2019 6:59 pm

I use FB but do not take it too seriously.I use it to keep in touch with various fishing mates and keep upto date with the kids who are scattered around the country.So for me it serves a purpose.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7595 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 pm

fin wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 pm
I posted a Spike Jones song that was probably sixty-five years old, and got a snottogram that it had been '"partly muted"' because the "music might belong to someone else'.
This one?:-

fin
Capt
Capt

#7596 Post by fin » Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Nope. It was called "Ya Wanna Buy a Bunny" by the same guy who made All I Want for Christmas is my two front teeth" famous (if you were around then). :))
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7597 Post by Tall Bird » Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I've just about thawed and dried out after a quick, recce trip to Shropshire today. It was 10C but gloomy when I left home and 6C with torrential rain when I arrived at my destination. Several thunderstorms passed through with spectacular lightning shows. On my return journey the A5 was flooded in parts and with very low vis - down to zero when HGVs roared past. At one point the onboard computer pinged 3C and a warning of icy roads as I passed through a hailstorm then more thunderstorms. It was so bad that even on the A38 drivers were doing only 25/30 mph. :D

Arrived home to a very cold house. Got gas fire blazing, put kettle on and snuggled down. The merry month of May indeed! :(

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7598 Post by handsfree » Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 am

Morning all. Promising start to the day this morning. Mr Sun is smiling upon us.

Bread just finishing off proving before going in the oven and about 5 mins before my lovely plump mackerel
comes out of the oven to provide breakfast. Hopefully the smell will have gone before Mrs HF gets up.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7599 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 am

One February there were two frogs standing at the bus stop in the port short sleeve shirts and shorts, freezing cold and raining. We watched from a warm taverna. After an hour they came in and asked if we knew when the next bus was due. Took great pleasure in saying about May. Still no bus service yet. They don't have a set date it all depends on demand. Also the bus drivers have taxis which are very expensive so more lucrative for them.

Nice day but cool again.

I HAVE A NEW CHAIR. My broken one has been reinstated with a new blue cover. :-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7600 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 am

TB, same, A43, tail gate by an HGV intent on maintaining 60 in a 50 zone.