The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#32421 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Some ominous looking Cb's moving though my neighbourhood at the moment, I suspect we are going to have a boisterous half hour here!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32422 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Cb's gave 18mm of rain in an hour at 0500 - a lot for these parts. Shall have to pump a bit out of the pond as it's overflowing. Don't know why the overflow pipe didn't work, probably stuffed full with a dead rat or similar. Can hear thunder in the distance but despite an Amber rain warning the morning has remained dry.

Fitted a new pond filter motor yesterday - the last one only lasted 20 years, really not good enough. :D
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32423 Post by EA01 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pm

I never knew either grandfather. My father died aged 60 - I was 22. One grandmother died at 73 (I was 7) and the other at 73 (I was 11). My only son died in a tragic accident at the age of 44 and now there's only me left - no brothers or sisters. Divorced at the age of 52 and never remarried. It's been a hell of a ride!

Just my 8 year old grandson and I'm determined to keep going for a while longer for his sake...
Should you ever find yourself in these parts Tango, rest assured you are welcome, guest rooms at the ready ... :)

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32424 Post by tango15 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm

EA01 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pm
I never knew either grandfather. My father died aged 60 - I was 22. One grandmother died at 73 (I was 7) and the other at 73 (I was 11). My only son died in a tragic accident at the age of 44 and now there's only me left - no brothers or sisters. Divorced at the age of 52 and never remarried. It's been a hell of a ride!

Just my 8 year old grandson and I'm determined to keep going for a while longer for his sake...
Should you ever find yourself in these parts Tango, rest assured you are welcome, guest rooms at the ready ... :)
Most kind, EA, but beware, diseases permitting I can be somewhat adventurous, so you have been warned. Adequate notice would be given of course! :)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32425 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:04 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm
EA01 wrote:

Most kind, EA, but beware, diseases permitting I can be somewhat adventurous, so you have been warned. Adequate notice would be given of course! :)
Get some tinnies in EA01, tango15 is on his way! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32426 Post by 1DC » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:45 pm

The study is clean and tidy to her satisfaction, stinks of polish, and only one and a half domestics. Obviously my need for a quiet life in old age had a bearing on that, can't understand why a woman gets upset cos a bloke has his sextant stowed under his desk for safe keeping when she thinks it should be in the loft, any way it is staying where it is.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32427 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:57 am
Our Visiting Cat gets lots of burrs tangled in its fur, even worse, pine resin. She has become so used to us in a few weeks that we are now allowed to deal with it.
We have a bush somewhere in the garden that I haven't yet located which produces a lot of burrs, It's a major job brushing out a Leonberger when one of them tangles with said bush. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32428 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:24 am
llondel wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 am
OK, picture this. A sticky fly paper hanging from the ceiling. Not new, it has collected some tributes. Enter the villain: Cosmo the kitten. He's grown enough that he managed to pull it down from the ceiling and as a result it attacked him and he had to be rescued from it because fly paper doesn't care, it will stick to anything.

We haven't tried bathing him yet, but he still has some sticky patches on his fur and occasionally one of us will attack him with a comb or brush. I bet he hasn't learned though.
Oh I bet he has. Avoid all humans with a brush.
One of our other cats will come over if we show him a brush. He enjoys getting brushed, although half of it is being brushed and the other half is him trying to grab the brush and bite it.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32429 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 pm

My paternal grandfather dropped dead of a heart attack around 60, maternal grandfather died in his 20s of a torpedo, I never met either of them. Maternal grandmother made it to her 80s, paternal grandmother I think similar, although I only have vague memories of her. Mother died before 60 of cancer. My father's brothers all made it past 90, although he's the only one left now and hasn't quite reached that milestone. My goal is to exceed whatever age he gets to and then some.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32430 Post by tango15 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:26 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:04 pm
tango15 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm
EA01 wrote:

Get some tinnies in EA01, tango15 is on his way! ;)))
:))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32431 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:30 pm

A success and a f*ckup. The National Health system in Roses said yes, they can see us on the Catalan health system, confirmed vaccinated but no, can't print the vaccination certificates there 'cos they didn't administered them. "Go back to where it was done". This morning got the certificates, but (continued on EU pages)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32432 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Bloody squirrels have now eaten at least 20 ripe limes. Just can't pick them fast enough when they ripen.

**** woodpigeons have found a way through the mist-net of one of me cherry trees and raped it.

Matron's mini-bore shotgun is loaded and ready for the next bastard who approaches on short finals t'wards the orchard.

We don't have low albedo biped tinks/pikeys hereabouts, much, but pigeons are an absolute bastard in an orchard if you don't shoot the **** superquick.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32433 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:06 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:43 pm
Cb's gave 18mm of rain in an hour at 0500
We had the same Amber Warning yesterday, but all we had was a distant rumble of thunder a coupla times somewhere distant to the NNw'ly direction and 2.4mm onto my wee tipping bucket thingy.

****. Not enough to wet a good barmaid's upper apron with anything to outswim her sweat down the steep slopey bit.

The ground is still dry dry dry.

Gonna be a cracking good harvest of grain, despite the late growing season, mehopes. Hopefully we'll get it in before proppa rain and not have to spend the profits on fuel for the grain dryers.

Else: House Dog is doing a phantom pregnancy routine. Silly bitch.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32434 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:14 am

Clear and sunny. No rain in sight. TV ads telling us the best way of dealing with forest fires is prevention. I think lining up smokers and shooting them would be a better form of prevention. Likewise peasants burning off green rubbish as collection is too expensive.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32435 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 am

A beekeeper will be prosecuted for a fire near a posh area of Athens. I am not sure if they bother with lock him up until the trial or he would remain free as it usually happens.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32436 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 am

Visited me sister oop north yesterday. Thunderstorms and rain followed us back down the A1.

Cloudless sky at the moment, wonder how long that will last.

Tea and toast for breakfast.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32437 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am

All hot (relatively so anyway), blue and righteous here in Goblin land. The only wrinkles are the wind waves in the local corn fields that haven't been harvested yet.

Re-acquainting myself with the CRP-1 Flight Computer at the moment...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32438 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am

Ah,....the old 'Wiz Wheel'..... :)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32439 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:11 am

EA01 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:08 am
Ah,....the old 'Wiz Wheel'..... :)
:-bd

Going all analogue again in a digital world...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32440 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 am

TGG, at Nav School exercise 6 in the basic phase was very interesting. Up to exercise 5 every flight was preceded by two Sim exercises. From exercise 6 to 11 only one Sim.

Exercise 6 was in two parts. Part 1 was an all aids 2 hrs plus navex and an unplanned 'emergency' landaway. Part 2 was the return to base. First test for the stude was using a strange planning facility. The next was having all his kit impounded, straight edge, protractor, dividers, whiz wheel and left with just chart and pencil.
They were very surprised at how accurately the could do a guesstimate plan.
Exercise 11 was an overseas Airways trip.

When I was trained our unplanned diversion came right at the end of the whole training period and the overseas exercise to Gibraltar was at the end of the Varsity phase.

I don't know when they made the switch which was both harder and a great confidence booster.