The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#19641 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm

I guess someone needs to call the "How's My Driving" number on the bumper sticker. =))

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoen ... g-supports

DPS: Semi-truck entangled in L-202 freeway sign, damaging supports
PHOENIX — A sign above the Loop 202 South Mountain freeway was damaged by a semi-truck Tuesday morning.

Crews were dispatched to the scene along L-202 near Southern Avenue around 5:15 a.m.

According to the Arizona Department of Public Safety, a large truck struck the Southern Avenue sign, damaging the sign itself and the supports.

Video from the scene showed the back of the truck lifted and tangled in the metal sign. The cement structure of the sign along the freeway also appeared to have cracked.

DPS says lane restrictions are expected while crews remove the truck and perform repairs to the sign.

It’s unknown what caused the incident, but DPS says no injuries were reported.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19642 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm

But how does it taste?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... t-n1236434
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootkatone

First new insect repellent approved in 11 years smells like grapefruit
The EPA's move allows companies to start developing products for people and pets that contains the new ingredient.
Image: FILES-ENVIRONMENT-HEALTH-MOSKITO-VIRUS
A mosquito on a man's leg.Ye Aung Thu / AFP - Getty Images
Aug. 11, 2020, 11:34 AM MST
By Akshay Syal
A new type of insect repellent will be making its way to drugstore shelves — and it smells like grapefruit.

Monday, the Environmental Protection Agency announced that it had approved a new ingredient, called nootkatone, that repels and kills mosquitoes and ticks. The naturally occurring ingredient — which is responsible for the characteristic scent of grapefruit — was discovered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and developed into an insecticide. It’s also found in Alaska yellow cedar trees and is widely used in the cosmetic industry to make perfumes and colognes.

In registering the new ingredient, the EPA is acknowledging that it is safe and effective, and formally giving the greenlight for companies to use nootkatone to develop new products for people and pets.

How to prevent bug bites and keep mosquitoes at bay
JULY 4, 201903:37
“Studies show that when products are formulated from the new ingredient, nootkatone, they may repel and kill ticks, mosquitoes, and a wide variety of other biting pests,” the EPA said in a statement. Diseases transmitted by these insects include Lyme disease, malaria and the Zika virus.

The CDC worked with Evolva, a biotech company, to develop and research the ingredient.

Studies have shown that nootkatone may work as well as other insect repellents, such as DEET. Protection from insect bites is expected to last several hours with nootkatone, the EPA noted.

The introduction of a new chemical — the first since 2009 — can also help fight resistance to many common insect repellents seen by insects today. (When insects develop resistance to an ingredient, the product is less effective.)

Mosquito and tick-borne disease are a growing threat in the U.S.; According to the CDC, the number of cases of tick-borne disease doubled from 2004 to 2016.

“I think it's a major contribution to our arsenal of repellents,” Dr. Brian Fallon, director of the Lyme and Tick-Borne Diseases Research Center at Columbia University in New York City, said of nootkatone.

Companies interested in developing products with nootkatone will be able to submit them for review by the EPA, and products could be available to consumers starting in 2022.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19643 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm

Is this formalisation of the Avon Skin So Soft mosquito repellent?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19644 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm
Is this formalisation of the Avon Skin So Soft mosquito repellent?
It must be good stuff, allegedly the Royal Marines use it.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19645 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 pm

I also have 2 x Pentax MX bodies, a slew of lens and extension tubes et al..............
Similar story, albeit Nikon and Canon. I also have a 5x4 Speed Graphic Press camera. Nice to see it in use in old black and white movies of Press photographers mobbing film stars !

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19646 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:57 am

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19647 Post by boing » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:51 am

The hydraulic lift jack is bent near the housing suggesting it was extended on impact. Nobody would have dumped a load then forgotten to lower the box,,,, would they?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19648 Post by EA01 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 am

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world- ... s-22505431

People paint eyes on the back of their push bike helmets here to deter aerial attacks from magpies (that season is coming soon!)....but lions wouldn't be that stupid would they?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19649 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:39 am

EA01 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 am
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world- ... s-22505431

People paint eyes on the back of their push bike helmets here to deter aerial attacks from magpies (that season is coming soon!)....but lions wouldn't be that stupid would they?
Lions are not stupid, but this trick does fool them. :) Nice to see a low tech and cheap solution to a problem actually work in real life. :-bd
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19650 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm
But how does it taste?

PP
Citronella oil has been a common mosquito repellent for many years. So common and for so long that I drank a whole bottle of the stuff as a toddler only to have my extremely agitated mother pack me off to Johannesburg General Hospital to have my stomach pumped! I swear it had nununooo eeeffect on me whatsoever! =))

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325337
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19651 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 am
PHXPhlyer wrote:
But how does it taste?

PP
(..) I drank a whole bottle of the stuff as a toddler only to have my extremely agitated mother pack me off to Johannesburg General Hospital (...) I swear it had nununooo eeeffect on me whatsoever! =))
How do you know. I was discussing that with a friend and the then Mrs RiS who are psychologist. They assure me self-certification in that field is not acceptable.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19652 Post by Wodrick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:22 am

Morning all,
Slowly clearing now but at 08.30 was in cloud 99% humidity and 21c.
Still only 22c and 85%. Target is 30c probably maybe by teatime.

Here one can get a spray meant for babies which is full of Citronella which works as a repellent, costs cents.
We have a shrub in a pot by the outside table, that helps too.

There is a toad in the pond this morning doing breaststroke. I'll net it out and give it a flying lesson onto the campo later.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19653 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:53 am

Awoken by rumbles of thunder earlier on, followed by a "downpour" which barely moistened the footpath - don't suppose a hose-pipe ban can't be too far away what with all the winter floods n' that.

Got more exercises to do for me hurty back - hope they work!

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19654 Post by 1DC » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 am

Nice day on the Humber. An exciting day the boiler is to be serviced this afternoon. Big thunderstorm over Hull on the other side of the river, number 1 daughter has a flooded garden.
A good dollop here would go down well even if it just diluted the pong from the muck spreading that the farmer did on the back field yesterday!!

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19655 Post by Ibbie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:23 am

Morning of supplies gathering.

Blue outside and 28c heading for 30c later.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19656 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Afternoon folks. Blazing sunshine 14° at dawn 30°now, have actually taken pully off. Just been doing a pop stock take at the safari camp. We can't last long. May have to up hooch production. Just brought a bottle of scotch home with us. That will not last long. Pre-lunch scotch by the pool.

Goats got into the camp whilst we were there which we managed to get out. Loads of droppings which their 15 month old thought were great. Little sod would stuff one in his mouth which was extracted by parents but had another in his other hand which he would discreetly try to stuff in my shorts pocket. Said that he is going to make a great S.A. copper planting drugs on whites.

Big motor is cleanest it has been for months. He can work on the small one tomorrow. Can hardly see through the windscreen of that. The sand is getting very deep and sticky on the tracks. When hot it is like lots of minuscule ball bearings. Bit tricky getting back from the pub just now. required some concentration on bush driving skills and use off all sorts of combinations of gears. This is a very good guide from Chris Mcintyre (Expert Africa) whom we have met many time and we used to use this company for marketing. http://www.botswana-travel-guide.com/br ... bradt=1213
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19657 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Haven't had a good Walk since Islington days, but very hot here, so drove to the forest surrounding the Muga river as it emerges from the Pyranees and walked up through the woods to the miniscule village of Boadilla where the tiny bar provided me with a ham and cheese baguette and beer. Waved to the guys in the restaurant opposite setting up for lunch, we've been eating there since 1995 and it gets better there every year. We've booked for tomorrow for our wedding anniversary lunch with guests, one sadly missing this year will be Cape. We had so many meals with him in so many restaurants here that there's nary a one where we don't think of him.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19658 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 am
PHXPhlyer wrote:
But how does it taste?

PP
(..) I drank a whole bottle of the stuff as a toddler only to have my extremely agitated mother pack me off to Johannesburg General Hospital (...) I swear it had nununooo eeeffect on me whatsoever! =))
How do you know. I was discussing that with a friend and the then Mrs RiS who are psychologist. They assure me self-certification in that field is not acceptable.
One known after effect is to turn one into a green goblin.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19659 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Fortunately citronella came late into my life so I avoided an incident like TGG - which I would have done if I had access earlier.

But I thought citronella is yellow not green.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19660 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Something for the lepidopterists amongst us.

This time of year, I always seem to have Tortoiseshell butterflies trapped in me garage. Not one but several and no other species. Why just Tortoiseshells and why in my garage?