The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#19661 Post by Woody » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Thor is playing in the distance, hopefully we’ll get some rain to cool things down, 35C at the moment :-o

I find that this keeps mossies at bay :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19662 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm

I think both are based on lemon so there is something there at works

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19663 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm

A thought for those of us unable to but booze.
Pool.jpg
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19664 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:10 pm

An interesting optical illusion - the ground appears 'flat' yet the 'pool/glass' suggests a slope.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19665 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm

This preposterous weather has severely tested the mettle of the last of our aged hounds, she is 17 years old and on her last legs, and me too to be honest. Earlier this afternoon I was on a Microsoft Teams conference call with a colleague, and representatives our client here in the UK and in Charlotte Carolina in the USA, when the hound started to moan and groan (her equivalent of an aged dowager ringing the house bell for her lady's maid). I don't blame her as the temperature in the house was in the high twenties while it had soared to 34 degrees outside, and the humidity was up in the 80's. Trying to sound like I was on top of my game while maneuvering an aged dog for a pee in the garden while conducting a technical call using a Bluetooth headset and talking about the technicalities of a big software implementation was a new one for me. God knows what they thought of the hound's harrumphing and meithering! We do live in strange times...

No rain here whatsoever while towering Cu tantalizes us in the distance... and local family members talk of tropical thunderstorms near Guildford....

Towering Cumulus.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19666 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Ditto in this part of Spain. Distant clouds and noise but no rain for weeks, although from today's walk up-country they are getting plenty there and releasing the wet stuff from the reservoir. But rain here on the coast ? Nah.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19667 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:09 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm
Ditto in this part of Spain. Distant clouds and noise but no rain for weeks, although from today's walk up-country they are getting plenty there and releasing the wet stuff from the reservoir. But rain here on the coast ? Nah.
Yep, I know how you feel. I live well to the East of London... Weather radar tells the story...

Weather.JPG
Weather.JPG (96.28 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19668 Post by boing » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Talking about pills, which we were not.

As some may remember Mrs. B. had a nasty fall from a powered lawnmower, result, 10 misc. cracked and broken ribs and a broken left wrist. To relieve the pain she was prescribed one of the super-dooper high powered and highly addictive pain killers. She was very careful in taking these which she did only when really needed.

So, comes Saturday and I am on a shopping expedition when my 'phone rings, Mrs. B. needs needs more painkiller and can I drop by the pharmacy for a re-supply. Knowing her careful habits I asked her how she could have run out of the pills.

It turns out that she went to the medicine cabinet to get one of the pills and saw a large grey moth sitting on top of the pill container which she decided to flick into the toilet since, with her lame wrist, she could not open the window and eject said moth that way. However, the other result of the lame wrist is that she can't remove the tricky cap on the childproof container so we only replaced the cap loosely. You can see where this story is going, she flicked the moth into the toilet followed by her supply of pills as the container cap came off. Could I get some more for her please?

"Dear, it is Saturday when all of the junkies are buying their pills. You lost your pills down the toilet when the cap came off the container as you tried to throw a moth, which just happened to be sitting on the container in the medicine cabinet, into the toilet. Do you think I can repeat that story to the doctor on the other end of the 'phone with a straight face? I suspect we will make Twitter as the dumbest junkie excuse ever."

Fortunately, by this time any pain had gone away and she never needed any of those pills again.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#19669 Post by Groundgripper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Lovely sunset to the west, but 'tis looking ominously black to the south and east...

GG

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19670 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Last night in the bellybutton of central Scotland the rain was torrential. One lightning strike exploded an elderly Ash out bye. Jagged splinters the size of cricket bats blown well over 50 metres away in all directions. A brilliant example of why you should never shelter under trees during a Thorm. The sap instantaneously turns to 1,000° steam and the resultant steam explosion is a bomb.

A small hole blown through the wigglytin roof of a small barn in bye, but no subsequent fire.

What was truly remarkable was the view Eastwards between midnight and about 04:00. The main bomber stream of joined up T-storms was moving from South to North, over and around approximately along the line of Longitude of Edinburgh. From afar the visible flash rate was two or three Hz with never more than a second or two between flashes and with a continuous soundtrack of the rumbling thunder for several hours on end. It looked and sounded like the way I imagine a night-time artillery bombardment in the opening prep work for the Battle of the Somme would have been.

Yesterday the local school opened for the first time since the shutdown. Today it's closed again as the flat roof got whacked by lightning which started a very small fire which was self-extinguished by the flood of rainwater pouring through the hole. Much of schoolhouse flooded and computers wrecked etc.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19671 Post by OFSO » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Results of an hour's staring at the night sky. One satellite in a polar orbit, two Iridium flares, and one large piece of Comet Fink-Nottle entering our atmosphere.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#19672 Post by jimtherev » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 pm

wigglytin
What a marvellous word. One must find excuses to use it... unfortunately can't think of any just now.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19673 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58 pm

jimtherev wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 pm
wigglytin
What a marvellous word. One must find excuses to use it... unfortunately can't think of any just now.
But what does it really mean? I went to school with the Wrigglesworth girly twins when I was seven and didn't see the opportunities offered there so please excuse my naivety
! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19674 Post by Ibbie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:02 am

Morning all.

A rather pleasant 21c out there at the mo. Usual blue sky. Temp should get up to 30c this afternoon.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19675 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am

Boing, brilliant, right up there with the absolutely original, never used before:

"Miss, the dog kicked my homework into the fire"

How do kids today manage in houses with central heating?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19676 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:09 am

Morning everyone, much wetness falling from sky, washing the dust off the artificial grass and watering the remaining garden, which means one job less tonight. :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19677 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:38 am

Today's job on order of the Commandant. Move granite boulders from front of house to other side of road. Done. Exhausted. Well half done, left of gate. Right of gate tomorrow.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19678 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 am

.........and computers wrecked etc.
Oh dear ! Does that mean that the kids might actually have to use pen and paper ? can they ? Maybe a God Given reason for them to learn.

Apology for repeat of old story, but apposite .... Unexpectedly sent home from New York as Pax. instead of scheduled crew, collect tickets at the airport etc. On arrival desk clerk said we couldn't fly home because "the system was down" and tickets couldn't be printed. The Flt. Eng. just handed her his pen. We flew.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19679 Post by handsfree » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 am

What is it with Commandants ?
Things such as granite boulders can happily sit there, maybe for years, with
never the hint of a comment until one day it's all wrong and they must be moved.
Not at some time in the future either but NOW. Failure to perform this act will of course
result in a visitation from the three plagues of hell. Plus ever stronger hints, rolling eyes etc.

Rather more pleasant this morning. 18C at present and 27C promised which is an improvement
on yesterday's 34C which had me hiding in the lounge hugging the fan.

Grass cut, stuff done and now waiting for the nurse to take out a couple of stitches. The fistuloplasty
went well according to my discharge notes. Throbbed a bit yesterday but now all back to normal.

Good to hear of Mr boing's recovery from her ordeal by mower. :-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19680 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:14 am

UP mention the blunder and thunder like the Somme, a few years ago we were cruising along the top of South America and a tropical storm kept lighting up towering Cu, orange light flickering back and forth, all in complete silence. It looked as you might imagine a gun battle during the Napoleonic wars. As there was no sound no idea how far away it was.