The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#32441 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:43 am

Humpback Whale Season here....Don't know why people love whales but they do....Spectacular creatures I suppose, back from being hunted to almost extinction up to 20 thousand now make their way past out fair shores up to Hervey Bay to calf....and in Spring we'll see them again returning to the arctic waters

I've been out body surfing and have seen them not too far away (too far to swim to), but still an amazing experience to be in the water and see them 'just over there'. I've never been out on one of the boats though...but not hard to spot the whitewater they make from shore

And there is that wonderful 'song' at 3 mins....a wonderful thing to fall asleep to... :)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32442 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 am
TGG, at Nav School exercise 6 in the basic phase was very interesting. Up to exercise 5 every flight was preceded by two Sim exercises. From exercise 6 to 11 only one Sim.

Exercise 6 was in two parts. Part 1 was an all aids 2 hrs plus navex and an unplanned 'emergency' landaway. Part 2 was the return to base. First test for the stude was using a strange planning facility. The next was having all his kit impounded, straight edge, protractor, dividers, whiz wheel and left with just chart and pencil.
They were very surprised at how accurately the could do a guesstimate plan.
Exercise 11 was an overseas Airways trip.

When I was trained our unplanned diversion came right at the end of the whole training period and the overseas exercise to Gibraltar was at the end of the Varsity phase.

I don't know when they made the switch which was both harder and a great confidence booster.
You were properly trained PN. :-bd

I think for my PPL I got about 10 30 minutes training with the CRP-1 and then told to get on with it using the manual. This heli PPL thing is forcing me to revisit all these subjects and although the use of the analogue computer is not mandated by the CAA for the PPL Nav. exams for either fixed wing or helicopter these days, one can use a digital device, my instructor is old school and wants me to use the CRP-1 and has also suggested doing a sortie using the guesstimate method as well. It is good to revisit all of this stuff.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32443 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:10 am

....Of course.....not much is said about packs of Orca picking off the babies on the way back South, or the Great White Sharks, & Tiger Sharks all of which help themselves to some tasty baby whale....

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32444 Post by handsfree » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am

" It's good to revisit all this stuff "
It's also good at keeping one alive at those awkward moments as well.

A very pleasant day. Blue sky, fluffy white jobs and a stiff breeze. 16°C
and a top of 20°C predicted. Perfect in my book.

Father died at 77 after a stroke, Mother at 93 with Alzheimers.
I know which way I'd rather go.

Grandson has reached the dreaded teens today.. ^#(^
As yet he is absolutely no trouble at ll. I suspect it may stay that way
as his mother was a doddle in her teens.

Spoke to Ibbie yesterday. He's sounded good, given the circumstances.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32445 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 am

Good Morning all,
What I would call broken, the sea mist is burning off but the overhead remains for the moment.
25c for 28c

I am charged with cleaning the terrace around the pond (crystal clear but having another algeal attack)
Can't clear it this year.

*Ibbie* is ok, we spoke yesterday, the lad remains in Horsepitil for continuing tests.

One has a new Supermercado to examine, the Supersol with the best butcher's counter has gone, bought out by Carrefour, but has been re-branded.
Probably Carrefour's version of a Tesco Extra type thing. One will see shortly.

There are too many tourists, parking is impossible.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32446 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 am

My Great Aunt was born on the 1st of January 1900.

On the evening of the 31st of December 1999 she spoke her last words, to her nurse. "Don't forget to bring my telegramme from the Queen with my breakfast, dear". She was found dead the following morning.

The physician kindly recorded her time of death as 00:01 1st of January 2000.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32447 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 am
......There are too many tourists, parking is impossible.
Same here. Mrs C16 drove the 9 miles into Stonehaven yesterday, couldn't find anywhere to park without a long walk to the shops - which she can't do because of her back problems - so she drove home again. It beats me why anyone would want to holiday in a north east Scotland coastal town.....but they do! The place is packed out with tourists, today they are enjoying cloudy skies, 18C and a 33mph wind.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32448 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am
Re-acquainting myself with the CRP-1 Flight Computer at the moment...

I see that Admiral Lord West is kicking up a shitstorm claiming that there's a dastardly Commie Russky conspiracy to destroy the NavStar constellation and all satcomm satellites.

He reckons that deck officers nowadays don't know how to navigate without Ecdis.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32449 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am
It beats me why anyone would want to holiday in a north east Scotland coastal town.....but they do!
Staycations for the multitudes that otherwise would travel to the Continent and find that the popular locations are booked out.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32450 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am
It beats me why anyone would want to holiday in a north east Scotland coastal town.....but they do!
I'll bet naebdy holidays in Peterheid. Not twice, onywy.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32451 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:24 am

Morning folks. Another Masisi Hooch production morning we are now up to the correct production levels which we let lapse because of the lifting of the booze ban. It has taken four weeks. Not doing that again until the end of the State of Emergency. Under this the President can do what ever he wishes without referring to Parliament. Heard the other day that people are clubbing together to buy a large bottle of expensive bootleg beer and then sharing it from the bottle. :-o

C16 any chance of SM getting a 'cripple sticker' They used to hand them out like sweeties.

Weather a bit breezy and half cloud cover, not so great.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32452 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:54 am

HF, they come with no guarantees. Dau 1, as a baby thought sleep was a waste of time. Dau 2 valued put time.
Dau 1 GD, was a devil incarnate as a baby in arms but is much steadier as a new teen, so yes, taking after mum.
Day 1 GS is a firm believer that gravity stunts growth and as 6 ft 2 in at 16 seems to have proven the theory.
That said, he thinks nothing of an 8 hour shift in a restaurant and since starting paid work in June has cleared £1,500. Of course no deduction for ma and pa taxis or board and lodging though he got free meals in the restaurant.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32453 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 am

put time????

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32454 Post by EA01 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 am

21:00, and a 'balmy' 15c outside.....winter?....hope we do get some more 'cold' weather....

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32455 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:17 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:24 am
.......C16 any chance of SM getting a 'cripple sticker' They used to hand them out like sweeties.......
That day may come but at the moment she’s stubborn enough to cope without one. To be honest with our location and lifestyle it’s not too much of a problem.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32456 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:52 am
From that episode, my unit estate had been bought from the local farmer in 1990. The sale documents and other leases were kept in file. It was one of the files I reviewed regularly and noted that if the unit closed with 21 years the vendor had the right to repurchase the land and all improvements thereon at the original purchase price.

The Army made the decision to close the unit which now included a workshop, offices, grandstanding and a five story tower. The farmer became aware of this and also the clause in the sale documents😁 and duly repurchased the land. It was then put up for auction at 20 times the original price though it did not sell and is now a holiday let.

It is fully booked until October 22 at well North of £1,000 per week.

Something like the opposite happened with RAF Turnhouse.

In 1915 the War Office compulsorily purchased 137 acres of farmland from the owner Lord Rosebery for the princely sum of 60 Guineas to create an aerodrome for the Royal Flying Corps. The deal was that he could buy it back after the War was over and the government no longer had a use for the place.

After the Great War was over the RAF kept it on and used it as a general service station and training airfield. In the mid 1920s, with the general demilitarisation of Britain, the airfield was put up for sale on the open market. Roseberry, who was the last surviving Prime Minister of Queen Victoria, insisted of the government honouring it's pledge to let him buy it back for what he had been paid for it. He got stiffed by the goverment lawyers and declared that he had been robbed. He described the government of the day as a bunch of pickpockets.

Edinburgh Corporation wanted to buy the place and set up a proper civil airport, but the RAF changed its mind and increased the hangarage and other facilities to make it a fully operational front line fighter station.

There's a lovely photo, which shows the Squadron's aircraft lined up beside the main hangar.

Alongside is a civil Moth which was the private property of George Douglas-Hamilton, 10th Earl of Selkirk. He was the Squadron commander at the time. In 1934 he set up Edinburgh Flying Club, of which I was a Committee member in the 1970s, which was given clubhouse and other facilities within RAF Turnhouse. I remember Geordie very well. He was a splendid fellow. He was succeeded as CO by his elder brother the Duke of Hamilton who was very controversially involved in the defection of Rudolf Hess. The whole story of that flight is worthy of an entire thread in itself.

When RAF Turnhouse closed, the Club was booted out and had to struggle along on the other side of the airfield and eventually was forced out of existence by an absurdly tight ration of permitted movements per hour. The unrelated commercial Turnhouse Flying Club was also put out of business by a ration of only one takeoff or landing per hour. You really can't run a flying school on those terms.

The entire land area of the original Turnhouse was sold in 1997 by the MoD to British Airports Ltd for a paltry sum. There was much local gossip that the Rosebery estate ought to have been offered a chance to buy the whole place for £63, but commercial confidentiality was invoked and nobody knows what actually happened.

It's quite incredible that a city of the size and wealth of Edinburgh has no GA facilities whatsoever. Even the big boys with their Gulfstreams and Challengers aren't allowed to park overnight.

If the Rosebery estate had been allowed to buy that land for the originally agreed price, things would have been so different. The old Runway 26 and the old clubhouse could have been rebuilt and fun times could have resumed. As things stand nowadays, Edinburgh's nearest usable GA airfields are Glenrothes and Cumbernauld, both of which are a very long drive from anywhere in Greater Edinburgh.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32457 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:19 pm

Sitting in the restaurant today on top of the town walls of Castello d'Empurias when a fine noble dark red Labrador ambled past our table. Being a dog lover Mrs OFSO called it over and it came to see her, sitting down next to her, looking intently in her face while she rubbed it's head. She asked our waitress whose dog it was, and she replied "the people over there" - who responded, no it isn't - I think it belongs on that table there - no, they said, not ours. Manageress Anna cuddled the dog, looked, dog's collar said "Silvia". Belonged to nobody there, had just wandered in out of interest (no food was being served yet as too early) and was lining up strokes and cuddles. A gentle suggestion it go home, and it did. Well behaved dog.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32458 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 pm

Apologies for aviation content.
Took D #1 for her FAA First Class Medical exam (passed) this morning. #:-S :-bd
She starts flight school at a 2 year state school on Monday. :YMAPPLAUSE: The same school I attended some 35 years ago. Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi, and CFI(I). Instructed there, too.

PP

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#32459 Post by bob2s » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 pm

The Good Lord needs to apologize for the appalling temp of ➖ 2.6* c he awakened me this morning with,afterall this is Australia and as the poem mentions
"I love a sunburnt country/A land of sweeping plains,/Of ragged mountain ranges,/Of droughts and flooding rains." He makes amends for his slight blunder by promising a temp later of 20 *c,so all will be right with the world again.

JimR
ATPL
ATPL

#32460 Post by JimR » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 am

I think for my PPL I got about 10 30 minutes training with the CRP-1 and then told to get on with it using the manual. This heli PPL thing is forcing me to revisit all these subjects and although the use of the analogue computer is not mandated by the CAA for the PPL Nav. exams for either fixed wing or helicopter these days, one can use a digital device, my instructor is old school and wants me to use the CRP-1 and has also suggested doing a sortie using the guesstimate method as well. It is good to revisit all of this stuff.
Many, many, many etc years ago doing my CPL test I had brought along my digital electronic wiz wheel and so was ready for any challenge. You couldn't make it up; the bloody thing didn't work when trying to demonstrate my skills with accurate flight control. Had to search around for my trusty E6B which I luckily still had some idea how to use. Maybe electronic things are a bit more trust worthy these days :))