General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#32461 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:53 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Something like the opposite happened with RAF Turnhouse.

It's quite incredible that a city of the size and wealth of Edinburgh has no GA facilities whatsoever. Even the big boys with their Gulfstreams and Challengers aren't allowed to park overnight.

If the Rosebery estate had been allowed to buy that land for the originally agreed price, things would have been so different. The old Runway 26 and the old clubhouse could have been rebuilt and fun times could have resumed. As things stand nowadays, Edinburgh's nearest usable GA airfields are Glenrothes and Cumbernauld, both of which are a very long drive from anywhere in Greater Edinburgh.
What was the deal with RAF East Fortune with 3 concrete runways, two of which could still be resurrected? It is, as you know, the home to the Scottish National Museum of Flight, but the only flights possible from there are from an ultralight club that still uses part of an old taxiway, I think.

The place hosts an airshow, and has the dubious honour of being one of the few airfield-based airshows in the UK where fixed wing airplanes cannot land at the airfield!

I watched the airshow from a rambling garden near Haddington, part of the property used as the grace house by the late Earl of Wemyss and March, David Charteris's, widow. The house was being baby sat by my younger brother at the time. Sadly both widow and my brother are now dead as well (RIP K & P). The weather at the time, summer 2018, was preternaturally hot for Scotland, as it has been again this year it seems!

While I was there I took the opportunity to visit the museum on a non airshow day...

East Fortune.JPG
EastFortune1.JPG

and pay my respects at the Catholic cemetery, near Haddington, at this chap's grave and leave some flowers in memory of a very brave Czech indeed...

East Fortune3.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32462 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 am

Morning all. Another hot day ahead. Too many wretched tourists here. Standard of driving of French gets worse. Lots of huge Dodge and Chevy trucks with Belgian and Dutch number plates. A compensation for having tiny willies.
Three weeks more and they'll all start to leave.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32463 Post by handsfree » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:50 am

Good morning all, not that it is.
It has been raining most of the night and continues to.
The lawns look nice and green as a result though.

Friday will be the usual trek into Derby day to see how many of the
shops remain this week. So long as the Milk and Honey cafe and the Old Bell pub
are still there I shall be content.

TODAY (for the confused) is FRIDAY

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32464 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 am

OFSO, worse? Not possible shirley

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32465 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:58 am

Good morning from RiS towers. A heat wave might be around the corner. I had a nice pool session so far and I am on my second coffee for the day.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32466 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am

Amazing, just had an email from Bianca on Australia who thanked me for contacting them and she didn't REACH OUT.

Hallelujah, someone who hasn't been GOING FORWARD to new speak.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32467 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 am

Good morning campers.

Son was released from hospital last night on crutches.Time and rest will heal his fractures and chips. His current medications have been modified and shrinks have added a medication. Home visits from mental health support team have been put in place.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and to Wodrick and HF for the telephone chats.

Just had best nights sleep for a week.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32468 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 am

Ibbie, a question from one expat to another. Is your son in Spain or back home? Some things like discussing mental health (and meditation) are better done in one's mother tongue.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32469 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am

Ibbie all the best for the new phase of the treatment.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32470 Post by handsfree » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:05 am

Excellent news Ibbie. :-bd

OFSO, Ibbie's son is in the UK.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32471 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 am

Morning folks. Hope things continue to improve Ibbie. Jolly windy here, BF 4 on the lagoon with white caps but clear skies.

Jolly impressed with the UK State Pension International phone claims service. 21 mins 42 secs on the phone to Fiona and I have registered for my State Pension. Much easier than filling in forms and posting them or doing it on line which you can't do from abroad anyway. Phone them a week before my birthday and they press the button. Anyway we will see.

Eventually got my bank card from the UK via Greece, well it was couriered to a friend in town who will bring it here next week. Absolute idiots in the office here had to go through 4 people before I got to the manager. You would think that employees of a courier company would understand the phonetic alphabet. The safari companies staff do. I went through my name four times. Every time I got to Mike for 'M' they said, your name is Mike? ~X(

Squiffy Pussy's painter didn't turn up for work in town today. I have asked the boss to start again on Monday after the flogging. Don't know about UK employment law these days but go missing for three days here and it is instant dismissal. Our old Estate Manager didn't turn up for three weeks and wondered why his post had been taken. He even tried to take us to the Department of Employment for unfair dismissal. That claim fell at the first fence.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32472 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am

Morning
Sat under the sea mist outside the health.SM found this morning that she has a sciatic nerve problem severe enuf that she can't use the clutch. Never ends.

Pleased about the lad *Ibbie*
She rings.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32473 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am

ExA, my old man, despite a life in the Merchant Navy never learnt the 'new' NATO alphabet. His ID for the bookies was B R O M for Mother.....

I remember some of the wartime alphabet that came with the aircraft or ship models - Able, Baker, Love and that was replaced not long before I joined with the NATO one.

But ever tried to hunderstand zee French version?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#32474 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am
ExA, my old man, despite a life in the Merchant Navy never learnt the 'new' NATO alphabet. His ID for the bookies was B R O M for Mother.....

I remember some of the wartime alphabet that came with the aircraft or ship models - Able, Baker, Love and that was replaced not long before I joined with the NATO one.

But ever tried to hunderstand zee French version?
FFS, trust the frogs to make things difficult. They are too stupid to learn this.

https://easypronunciation.com/en/french ... -ipa-chart
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32475 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am

How am I meant to work out wind velocity and direction in flight, based upon observed drift in a helicopter, using a CRP 5 analogue computer (whizz wheel) in an R44 which requires hands on cyclic and collective 99.999% of the time, for me anyway, given my modest talent... :-?

Keep an eye out for errant or bizarre helicopter tracks in South East England tomorrow. =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32476 Post by EA01 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:39 am

Indigestion...scoffed a curry....blaghh...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32477 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 am

Interesting self-musement job this morning. I had a decorative solar-powered laser projector. 3.2v AA sized LiFe battery seems to have died. This battery is far too expensive to replace. Happened to have three 1.2v NiMh batteries spare so wired them in series. Laser comes on, will see if it charges up today and if so if it burns all night...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32478 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:53 am

What was the deal with RAF East Fortune with 3 concrete runways, two of which could still be resurrected? It is, as you know, the home to the Scottish National Museum of Flight, but the only flights possible from there are from an ultralight club that still uses part of an old taxiway, I think.

When I was a youngster, going off to boarding school in the Green Belt of Londonshire, while Turnhouse's Rwy 13/31 was being re-surfaced and the place was shut down for a few months, to my great excitement the coach from the BEA terminal in Edinburgh's George Street turned Eastward instead of Westward and took us to East Fortune to board a Viscount there for the flight to Thiefrow.

The wee strip that the microlighters use is the extension, on the other side of a minor road, which was built to enable a fully laden Viscount to use the main runway for commercial ops while Turnhouse was inop.

The Vulcan in your picture is the one which snapped off its refueling probe on one of the Blackbuck jollies and had to divert to Brazil. The crew, the poor dears, had to sit out the war on Copacabana beach. Oh! The humanity!

It landed, unlike the the Concorde which they now have on display in a hangar, which I believe may have had the ignominy of having to travel by road.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32479 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:53 am

When I was a youngster, going off to boarding school in the Green Belt of Londonshire, while Turnhouse's Rwy 13/31 was being re-surfaced and the place was shut down for a few months, to my great excitement the coach from the BEA terminal in Edinburgh's George Street turned Eastward instead of Westward and took us to East Fortune to board a Viscount there for the flight to Thiefrow.

The wee strip that the microlighters use is the extension, on the other side of a minor road, which was built to enable a fully laden Viscount to use the main runway for commercial ops while Turnhouse was inop.

The Vulcan in your picture is the one which snapped off its refueling probe on one of the Blackbuck jollies and had to divert to Brazil. The crew, the poor dears, had to sit out the war on Copacabana beach. Oh! The humanity!

It landed, unlike the the Concorde which they now have on display in a hangar, which I believe may have had the ignominy of having to travel by road.

East Fortune It is a great site and would be perfect if it was used a little like Duxford is and they reactivated one of the runways and allowed some real aviation to occur.

As for Viscount jollies, the only photograph I have of me and a Viscount, is me in my nappies at the tender age of 4 months old, with with a bunch of cooing stewardesses (with a proud mother standing alongside) onboard a flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Little did I realise that that would be the high water mark for me and the appreciation of my strange unnatural beauty by a bevy of women... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32480 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pm

G-AMOG is waiting to be restored at East Fortune, I was supernumerary crew on it’s last commercial service 31st March 1976 into Prestwick from Edinburgh

When all else fails, read the instructions.